xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox As Renderfarm  (Read 147 times)

TrueSkimmer

• Archived User
Xbox As Renderfarm
« on: October 24, 2005, 01:40:00 AM »

Hi you guys,

I have been fiddeling around with 3d studio a bit, and the thing that bothers me most, is that even a simple scene takes pretty time to render.

Since i have a xbox (softmod - tnx guys) thats doing absolutely nothing for like 95% of its time, i was hoping i could harness its power to take some of the processor intensive 3D tasks of my own PC.

I started searching on xbox-scene, but all i can actualy find is some blathering about photoshop, and game rendering.

Am i correct to asume there is as of yet no xbox standalone renderer available?

Followup: Would it be very hard to make something like this work?

TrueSkimmer

• Archived User
Xbox As Renderfarm
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 03:13:00 AM »

I see now i should have opened this topic in Homebrew software...  :unsure:

Perheps there is an admin/mod who can push it over there?

TrueSkimmer

• Archived User
Xbox As Renderfarm
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 03:31:00 AM »

Found something:

Can We Make A Render Farm From Using Xbox's?

This is more like a theoretical exploration of using some kind of linux cluster for rendering.

I was more thinking in the lines of a stand alone program one could simply start from the Dash. The program would than wait for a 'jobfile' to apear in a working location. The jobfile would then specify the scene file and which frames to be rendered by the machine.

In this way, i think, there would be the least overhead, and no need for complex networking structures.

darkstalker

• Archived User
Xbox As Renderfarm
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(TrueSkimmer @ Oct 24 2005, 06:06 AM)
Found something:

Can We Make A Render Farm From Using Xbox's?

This is more like a theoretical exploration of using some kind of linux cluster for rendering.

I was more thinking in the lines of a stand alone program one could simply start from the Dash. The program would than wait for a 'jobfile' to apear in a working location. The jobfile would then specify the scene file and which frames to be rendered by the machine.

In this way, i think, there would be the least overhead, and no need for complex networking structures.

You definitely don't want an X-Box rendering farm. It would probably take longer than just on your single PC.