xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Quake Iii Arena Souce Code To Be Released  (Read 1211 times)

FiRez

• Archived User
Quake Iii Arena Souce Code To Be Released
« on: August 12, 2005, 05:51:00 PM »

http://pc.ign.com/articles/641/641567p1.html

:)

It would be awesome to play this over XBC or Xlink, It's a shame that is based on OpenGL  :(

This post has been edited by FiRez: Aug 13 2005, 12:54 AM <

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 08:00:00 PM »

w00t!!

As long as there is an ID software engine/game that is open source, someone is going to port it.  

I would not be surprised to see this running on the Xbox and PSP by the end of the year.

This post has been edited by devguy: Aug 13 2005, 03:01 AM

Carcharius

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(FiRez @ Aug 13 2005, 01:55 AM)
http://pc.ign.com/articles/641/641567p1.html

:)

It would be awesome to play this over XBC or Xlink, It's a shame that is based on OpenGL  :(

Trust me - OpenGL is not a problem  ;)

darkstalker

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:49:00 AM »

It's all just a matter of if there are enough interested programmers working on the Xbox to port it over these days.. and judging from the major slowdown in releases, I'm inclined to believe there won't be enough support to get it done, unfortunately.

darkstalker

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 04:21:00 AM »

As an aside, here's a Quake3 Engine that was built completely from scratch that includes full source code and is based on DirectX.

DXQuake 3 Homepage

The author is apparently working full-time at Rare!

This post has been edited by darkstalker: Aug 13 2005, 11:22 AM

StaTiKMaT

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »

If someone doesn't port this I'm going to cry.   unsure.gif

Carcharius

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(darkstalker @ Aug 13 2005, 12:32 PM)
As an aside, here's a Quake3 Engine that was built completely from scratch that includes full source code and is based on DirectX.

DXQuake 3 Homepage

The author is apparently working full-time at Rare!

hmmm interesting......

wired57

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »

lets get it done, I want q3, I'm tired of needing my comp to play such an old game.

UberJim

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if we got something called "Quake Launcher" that had updated ports of Quakes 1, 2, and 3 all in one neat "just add wads" package?  It would be nice if this package could pass command line options to the different games, then we could have a nifty internet game browser where you could pick an internet game and go right into it.  An Xbox only server addition would be cool too.  Like add a "-xbox" command line option to the dedicated server executable ran on PC, and then just like a tick box if you host on Xbox.

XDelusion

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »

Are there many Single Player mods for this engine?

parlance

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

I wanted to hold off on releasing anything publicly until I had a little more done, but I guess now is a good time a time as any.

I've been working on a 3D engine for the Xbox that supports quake3 formats for shaders, models, and levels. Like DXQuake, this engine is not in fact the quake3 engine and is not based on the source of the quake 3 engine, and like DXQuake I've written this engine entirely from scratch and until now this was the first I ever heard of DXQuake.

However, unlike DXQuake, my engine is actually written 100% for xbox and includes many xbox exclusive engine features that would actually making porting back to PC impossible. Just as one example, the implementation of Q3 shaders dynamically recompiles directly to Xbox pixel shader microcode, which 99% of shaders renderable in only 1 pass. The rendering performance has been optimized in a large number of ways for the xbox architecture as well, including a large preprocessing stage of input geometry and BSP cluster cleanup for maximum rendering performance on the Xbox. There's no problem rendering 4 player split-screen even with many models on screen at a full frame rate. The engine also uses an internal caching mechanism in the resource management system that makes use of the Xbox hard-drive to get around memory limitations caused by the lack of a kernel-managed virtual memory system.

That said, there is still quite a bit of work to do, but right now I'm guessing I could make a release within maybe a little over a month which would include the engine source if anyone else was interested in making their own homebrew games with it.

I'd like to stress once again that the engine is not the quake 3 engine and is only designed for creating high quality Xbox homebrew games. Although the game I am working on using the engine is going to be an FPS, it is not going to be quake 3. I believe the xbox-scene focuses too much on ports on not enough on original content.

Anyways, here are some relatively recent screenshots (on xbox) showing what the engine can do so far.

(IMG:http://friesen.wafflemind.net/projectx11.jpg)

(IMG:http://friesen.wafflemind.net/projectx12.jpg)

(IMG:http://friesen.wafflemind.net/projectx13.jpg)

devguy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »

ohmy.gif

dude...

I really like this idea.  Keep it going, it looks great.  

Imagine, a 4 player splitscreen look-alike of Quake 3 or something on Xbox.

Man, you rock.

Juganawt

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 07:28:00 PM »

*drooling* oh how long have I waited for this magical day.

Quake 3 on xbox... a pair made in heaven.

I'd sell my own mother to play this!

Is anyone going to be working on a port?

While the DXQuake looks good, it's still experimental, and doesn't work well with mods or the Team Arena add on pack... so a port of the GPL Quake 3 code would make my day so I can play Q3, Q3F, Team Arena, and Rocket Arena :P

That homebrew Xbox engine looks unreal too, can't wait to see that fully working... but even if it's due out soon, I'd love a fully functional true copy of Q3 running on xbox.

someone PLEASE port the original GPL.. Pwetty pwease wiv chewwies on top.

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Juganawt @ Aug 16 2005, 04:39 AM)
I'd sell my own mother to play this!

how much you asking? and is she hot?

Mr.INSANE

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »

very nice parlance. if you want i can capture some video with my trust old capture card
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6