xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Doom Legacy  (Read 450 times)

Carcharius

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« on: March 25, 2005, 01:56:00 PM »

Hi guys,

well I've been asked quite a bit lately when there will be a new release of Doom Legacy.

To be honest - the Doom Legacy port itself is pretty much ready to go.

The hold up now is with the launching application. Quite simply at this moment in time I can't be bothered to rewrite it so that it can handle all of the options/functions needed (selection of custom wad files etc).

So rather than just keep things stagnant until I get my backside in gear I decided I'd put this message out and see if anyone else out there wants to get involved and write a launcher.

So.......anybody fancy it?

This is a serious question - I don't want to hear from a shed load of people saying they'll help just to try and get hold of a beta of Legacy.

But if someone genuinely wants to help then please get in touch.

The launcher should be written as an SDL app (the current one isn't) - if you like you could even go so far as knocking up a demo (as it's SDL it could even be on the pc I guess)

Basic requirements for the launcher are - select game to play, list and allow selection of custom wad file(s), allow setting of options. Pretty much the same sort of things as the Legacy launcher for windows.

So over to you - any individual (or group) that wants to help out please get in touch.

I should probably also say that I had envisaged the same launcher (albeit revised, probably with a different skin etc) being used with the port I've got underway of Marathon as well.

Thanks for your time

Carcharius <

toaks

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

What language is it written in. If it's C++ I may be able to help. I am not a pro, but have worked with C++ a bit. I don't have a ton of time, but I would be willing to work on it when I can. <

big_xbox_n00bie

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 04:05:00 PM »

I'll knock up a new skin for it if you want, as far as c++ goes im learning but im a newb so i m not much help there.

-BxN <

freakdave

• Global Moderator
Doom Legacy
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 06:41:00 PM »

This is a screenshot from an app (actually a launcher) that i wrote several months ago. Even though the app has some minor bugs, the launcher itself is pretty much complete.
It shouldn't be too hard to rewrite it for Doom Legacy.
At the current stage it allows you to list files in a directory, set options and launch a game.
It's coded in SDL (compiles for both Windows and XBOX thanks to #ifdef) and does even have background music. If anyone wants to rewrite this launcher (i won't do this as i simply don't have that time), pm me to get the source code.
I'll probably post a link to a working windows build tonight. Here's the pic:

(IMG:http://freakdave.xbox-scene.com/FableTools.jpg) <

XDelusion

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »

Looks good. <

jbrian16

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

I might be able to assist here.  I have one thing it seems that you guys don't...time.  If it is just a matter of modifying freakdave's Fable launcher to fit Doom legacy, I could do that (give it a different skin and menu items).  If you'll knock up the background skin that I need, big_xbox_n00bie, and supply your code for the Fable Launcher, freakdave, I'll see if I can put something together.  

Carcharius, do you have the code ready to go for the menu items, such as launch game or choosing the game options or exiting to the dashboard, etc?  So it is just the interface that you need?  

Please let me know!  I am really interested in getting this new version of Legacy ready for release.  By the way, have you fixed the sound-related issue in Heretic?

Thanks,

James

<

Carcharius

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »

No there's no existing code - well there's what is in the existing launcher - but the whole thing needs rewriting.

As I said the windows launcher is a good example of the kind of options that are needed - but obviously it needs to be given the 'xbox treatment'.

freakdave's launcher looks like a good starting point.

To be honest though, because of the nature of the beast (meaning Legacy) it will need more than a quick skin job. But once there's something in existence with the basics we can talk about adding the other bits and pieces.

And yes the sound bug in Heretic is fixed.

Carch <

kobazz

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »

whoever makes the launcher, plz embed an icon into to xbe. I hate the Iconless apss :P <

freakdave

• Global Moderator
Doom Legacy
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »

I've came to the conclusion that it would be better to write a new launcher and e.g. use parts of my code (like input stuff, etc.) rather than rewriting my launcher, as it would take a lot of work to add new options into it (my launcher doesn't have enough options for this kind of 'beast').
Nevertheless, here's the link to the source code of my Fable launcher (compiles for both XBOX and Windows).

http://freakdave.xbox-scene.com/launcher_src.rar
 <

XDelusion

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »

Carcharius: Is the mouse look implemented correctly now? <

Carcharius

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 04:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(XDelusion @ Mar 27 2005, 09:32 AM)
Carcharius: Is the mouse look implemented correctly now?

No it isn't - there's no mouse look support at this time.

I don't mean to be rude but please can we keep this thread on topic.

I don't want my request for assistance to get lost under a pile of 'is xyz feature implemented?' or 'can I do flibble with doom legacy'. In fact it's in the interests of the project to keep this thread as focused as possible. Cos without it Legacy is unlikely to get a release anytime soon.

I'm more than happy to answer most of those type of questions, but can we please keep them out of this particular thread, there are other Doom Legacy threads in existence for that kind of thing.

Thanking you kindly

Carcharius

Mr.INSANE

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 11:57:00 AM »

if the old xml file allowed you to give commands to legacy you could easily do this if i could code i would help but i cant <

Carcharius

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mr.INSANE @ Mar 27 2005, 05:52 PM)
if the old xml file allowed you to give commands to legacy you could easily do this if i could code i would help but i cant

Actually, that's not true.

The Doom Legacy xbe itself does absolutely nothing with the xml file. Only the launcher uses it.

C_7

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

I've a few weeks before I start a new job that I could spend on this.

What exactly are you looking done? I know you want a launcher but how far are you wanting it taken? If I had a better idea of what you're after I'd be able to let you know if it'd be possibel for me to work on this..

Send me an email when you get a chance and we can work it out.

.c_7

This post has been edited by C_7: Mar 28 2005, 04:28 AM <

andrewmc

• Archived User
Doom Legacy
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »

I suck at coding but I'm a good beta tester... <
Pages: [1] 2 3