xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Doomx V2.2 Beta  (Read 490 times)

Carcharius

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« on: December 19, 2004, 02:17:00 AM »

What's New
----------

- Save freezing bug fixed

- New UI background

This includes Likklebaers updated UI graphics.

Wile we're here, can we take the opportunity to wish everyone and their families a happy holiday season.

Eat, drink, be merry and play some DoomX!  wink.gif

nagmine

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 04:05:00 AM »

Cool cool... thanks alot for the hard work on this game. Hope to see more stuff from u 2 in the future  ;)   <

Intensecure

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (Carcharius @ Dec 19 2004, 11:20 AM)
Wile we're here, can we take the opportunity to wish everyone and their families a happy holiday season.

Eat, drink, be merry and play some DoomX!  ;)

And the very same to you both.
May you get a nice surprise in your stockings ;)  B)
Paddy wants some of that... ;)  ;)  

This post has been edited by Intensecure: Dec 19 2004, 02:31 PM <

manu_xl

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 06:49:00 AM »

@likklebaer and carcharius: i think that this release is good enough to call it a final.
all bugs seemed to be fixed. thank you for such a great port. btw: the gui is perfect. it's unbelievable, but doomx is a way better than original doom for pc.

i know that doomx is cheat-free zone. but i would appreciate the implementation of those cheats. think at those bad shooters like me, that cant finish a level without god mode and all those weapons.  :rolleyes:

keep up the good work. i owe you guys.  <

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

While I would agree that the program itself is in a fit state to be called final. I believe Carcharius wants to tidy up the messy sourcecode and release that along with a final non-beta version at some point in the future.  <

incognegro

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

A beautiful work of art! oh yea and so is doomx 2.2 .  ;)  I do have a gripe with the controls tho; its gr8 that we can choose them and stuff but for some reason i dont remember doomx having the fire button as "L Trigger" and it kind throws me off cause im used to the right trigger being the fire button in just about every first person shooter. if its possible, i would like to be able to have some sort of alternative button layout or something. Plz add cheats!!! atleast give us the freedom to choose if doomx can be a cheat free zone.  <

Likklebaer

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

There are 4 controller configs to choose from. Two of them have Fire on the L Trigger and the other two have it on the R Trigger. Check the ReadMe.txt for details.

And you can choose if Doom-X stays a cheat-free zone or not. When the sourcecode is released you'll have the freedom to add whatever you like. But neither Carcharius nor myself want them in our releases so stop asking for them.

This post has been edited by Likklebaer: Dec 19 2004, 05:25 PM <

manu_xl

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »

after playing for a while, there's sometimes a lockup after quitting. i can't be more specific; because the freezing happens randomly.  <

ripcurl

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »

i noticed someone on the 2.1 thread said they got the simpsons mod to work, i tried it on 2.2 and it loads the 1st screen to start a game but then freezes at either the start the the 1st level or the warp....does something need to be done to the wad before its placed in the custom DOOMII folder??  <

Thraxen

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »

And you can choose if Doom-X stays a cheat-free zone or not. When the sourcecode is released you'll have the freedom to add whatever you like. But neither Carcharius nor myself want them in our releases so stop asking for them.

Just out of curiosity, why are you guys so set against allowing the cheat codes?  The codes were put into the games by the developers themselves, so it's not like you are changing adding anything that the developers didn't intend to be in the game.  In fact, it is the exact opposite, you are removing a feature originally available in the game.   IMO, this is different than being asked to include something like Gameshark codes in the console emulators.   Those codes were never intended to be in the games, but the codes for Doom were put there by the devs.  

Anyway, I really don't mind much either way.  I've beat Doom plenty of times without the codes and really do appreciate you two reviving this project and making all these improvements.   But I was just curious about the hard line against the cheats.  <

Carcharius

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

Simply put - DoomX is a conversion of Doom to run on a console (the xbox), using the advantages/disadvantages of a modern system. To do this some things have to be introduced/changed/excluded.

One of these advantages/disadvantages is the input system. The xbox controller works great for actually playing Doom (I prefer it to a keyboard/mouse setup on the pc in fact).

The cheat codes that Id put in the pc version are all activated using a keyboard - something which a games console doesn't have.

So a decision had to be made - exclude the cheats altogether, come up with a way of simulating the keyboard to enable cheats to be entered, or assign cheats to a controller button.

In all honesty the second option would have meant some fairly large changes to the way the Doom code works. Which wouldn't have been easy - the Doom core doesn't easily allow for things like that.

The option of having controller buttons activating cheats wasn't really viable - there just aren't enough buttons on the controller!

So we decided not to have a facility for entering the cheat codes. Once we'd made that decision we decided we had to follow it through all the way and not allow level warping on the original wad files.

Maybe people don't agree with the decision we made - that's fine. We made a decision based on what we though best for preserving the original Doom gameplay whilst converting to the xbox.

I think we did pretty well. After all the most important thing is being able to play the damn games!

As Likklebaer said - there is some tidying up I want to do, and I'd appreciate more feedback on the system link parts of DoomX, before I release the source. Once that is done anyone will be able to add/change whatever they wish (except for one part which I won't be releasing).

That won't be all that soon though - I feel that I've spent enough time on DoomX just lately and there are a couple of other things I want to spend some time on.

Hope that explains a few things - sorry for the long post!  :P

Carcharius  <

Thraxen

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »

Cool.  Thanks for the explanation.  <

manu_xl

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (manu_xl @ Dec 19 2004, 05:18 PM)
after playing for a while, there's sometimes a lockup after quitting. i can't be more specific; because the freezing happens randomly.

k i fixed those random freezings in doomx 2.2b.

i had placed doom ultimate wad in the doom folder.
by replacing it in the appropriate ultimate folder, i havent had any freezings till now.   :P   <

manu_xl

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2004, 02:47:00 PM »

does someone want to make a nice preview to use in unleashx.
i know there's already one. but its not that nice-looking like the actual port.

thx

This post has been edited by manu_xl: Dec 19 2004, 10:47 PM <

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
Doomx V2.2 Beta
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »

just played v2.1 for 2 hours :)
oh man I had never tried doom-x, now I see that it is awesome, a very worthy project.  Brings the original Doom II to a whole new level.  I find the controls are perfect!  Especially the fully digital joystick controls.  I wish lantus would have done the same on his ROTT port.  Ah well.  Got to get the cult classics in top shape first.  Which I beleive DoomX has reached.
Bless you both  :popcorn:   <