xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Think Somebody Hacked My Gmail Account  (Read 107 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
I Think Somebody Hacked My Gmail Account
« on: July 05, 2009, 07:58:00 AM »

I can't get into it anymore, which means I can't get into the spreadsheets for editing anymore.  

Since my email address is a Gmail address, I also can't get a password reset, since that would require me to log into Gmail first to get my email.  

Good news is, I must pissed off the right people enough for somebody to bother messing up with my stuff.  

Bad news is, if I can't get this resolved, I'm done with the project.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »

Checking the account recovery process they have, I see there are methods available for those without access to their initial email accounts.

However, I can tell you that you will need access to an account (any account) if you hope to get back in. Go register another free one somewhere (doesn't matter if it's with gmail or not) if you haven't done so already.

I would assume that if someone took over your account, they would've done so in the hopes that they could get some of your personal info out of it - bank account numbers, that sort of thing. I doubt they'd've payed much attention to your spreadsheets etc, so with any luck those will not've been vandalised.

At the time of writing, I can still access your spreadsheets via your Xtras thread - and Google lets me copy 'em. I'm currently going through 'em all, so with any luck that'll account for everything so far as backups are concerned.

pCeSlAyEr

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »

Well this is sucky news...

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »

It worked!

Thanks man,
~Rx

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »

Ouch - apparently that virus is particularly nasty. Wouldn't want that on my system.  sad.gif

(Though it might cause me to finally give in and rebuild my system).

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 01:51:00 AM »

Bummer about your PC.  I have two PCs and the "downloading" PC needs that treatment once or twice a year.  I'd probably flip if that happened to my Xtras PC since it would take forever getting all that stuff working again.  I don't care about the stuff on my other PC that much though, so everytime I fix it and start from scratch it is set up different and I just add stuff as I go.

Currently my downloading PC has 6 viruses that I can't delete.  Even programs that say they deleted it don't work since the viruses "respawn".  

I'll probably never have a successful political career with all the keyloging and stuff going on with them.  Oh well.... just don't do any banking online with the sick PC.

Though I'm happy to have my Google account back, it's very easy to break into.  It's a bittersweet victory since I'm worried this could happen again at any time with how easy it was for me to get access again.  

I won't say anything more about it and just hope it doesn't happen again.

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »

I've found SUPERAntiSpyware to be rather effective against viruses as well as the "other crap" - the name doesn't do it any favours, but it does seem to work quite effectively.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »

"Super" is always good.

I remember reading an article when I was a kid saying that Nintendo messed up because it named all its sequels on the NES "Super" like "Super C" so they couldn't use Super for the Super NES.

Super-dee-duper!

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »

Yeah that virut virus is a nasty bugger.  It's a polymorphic virus so it's "footprint" is constantly changing so Anti-Virus programs have trouble detecting it.  It manually infects all EXE, SCR, ASP, HTM, HTML files on your system.  It also connects to two different places and downloads other crap to infest your system with.

It also has the ability to infect "shared directories" on other computers.  Although I'm pretty sure it only does it "indirectly".  In other words if you access those from the infected machine.  But, for example, copying a file from another machine to the infected machine will not infect the other machine.  It also will install itself on inserted USB sticks (autorun.inf), etc.

I managed to block it on my router.  Set my other computers shares to "read only".  I was seriously considering just leaving it that way until it became unusable.  But I was worried about accidently infecting on of my memory sticks.  Plus I would constantly have to be tip toeing around that machine.

Oh did I mention it blocks most anti-virus sites and windows update?  Luckily that is the most obvious sign that a machine is infected!

Anyways thru my own fault I deleted alot of my video/slideshow projects.  Which means I cannot "recreate" them if I so choose to.  Although I did plan on going back over them some day.  Ah well.  But I still have the original video and pictures.  Plus I managed to trash some lists I keep of games I own, etc.

The big annoyance is when I went to reinstall Nero 6 it said that the installation had expired.  What kind of crap is that?  I suppose it's no big deal because I trashed my original project files anyways.  But really.  I only upgrade when I feel I need to.  Not because some software publisher decided it was time for me to do so.   mad.gif

So thus is the pitiful tail of my adventures.  Never mind the fact that Itunes decided to erase my mp3's TWICE!   grr.gif   I did manage to figure out what it was doing.  Apparently the database was being corrupted and that's when Itunes would do it's damage.  It just has this nasty habit of not telling you what it is doing.  For some strange reason if my ipod is connected to a computer for a certain period of time it's like it "loses connection" and that is when the bad things happen.