xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: Mameox128 - Working Romset Project  (Read 2576 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Mameox128 - Working Romset Project
« Reply #315 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:00 AM »

Hey BP,

Now that does totally make sense to me.  If there were a way to tell the emu that after all games are initialized to disable flipping that would work for almost every game that is 2 player alternating.  The only ones it wouldn't work on were the games without cocktail (but that's not many).  This would also probably make it very easy to have a switch for a custom "Cocktail" mode for anyone who actually wanted to use this emulator in a cocktail table.

I don't know how to put that logic in if it requires me to make additional code to do it though, and I surely can't find the place where it would be necessary.   You offered earlier to fix the source for me.  Is it possible to just make the fix in the source you have and put "BP" by your changes, and then shoot the drivers you changed over to me?  I don't want to upload the code to you now because it's so ravaged by my attempts at getting this done and I know you're not going to like it where it's at now.   It all makes sense to me where it's at now, but before you see it I want all the bugs worked out.

If you're able to make the fix in the source and show me the fix to get these games working, I will back out all the code changes I've made on this and be able to release a build.  I have notes within source and in my testing spreadsheet I've had since January.  I know every change I've made and what drivers they're in, so backing out won't be any problem.

Thanks,
~Rx

PS... another cool thing I did was get the GUI to handle favorites like yours does by manipulating the source.  Left and right don't change the status anymore in "Detailed Single Item" view anymore, the only way to make a game a favorite or removing it from favorites now is by pressing the B button and it even lights up Yellow like yours does.  

Just got to figure out how to do the screenflip, automate the VMM and get my brother to make a kick ass skin for it and this emu will be pretty sweet.  

Thanks for all your help BP.

underworlderZer0

• Archived User
« Reply #316 on: April 30, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »

It's good to see you guys are working together on this again. I recently replaced MameOX +128 with CoinOPS, and I agree that it is a much better experience, but I would like to see the new games and options RX is working on.

Keep up the great work, guys. We all appreciate it a ton.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #317 on: May 01, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »

Hey BP,

I'm not sure if you were talking to me or underworlderZer0 in that post.  Did you think when you got some time you could try to disable the screenflip globally in a fresh source and just put "BP" by the source changes so I could add it to my code?

That's cool if you can't.  I got a lot of the games alternating the right way now with other little hacks (about 70, I'd guess), it's just a shame I can't get games like Pac-Man or Pyros (Wardner) working right as well.  I'm pretty much out of ideas on this.  I know that the screen flip needs to be disabled after the rom is initialized, but I'm about to give up on it now because it's just getting too frustrating for me.

----------
Oh yeah.... Left/Right does superscroll on your build, but until I got the favorites working right for me it actually changed the Favorite Status from Strongly Disliked, Disliked, Average, Liked and Favorite on my build.  I've eliminated all categories now except for Average and Favorite and now the Favorites just flip on and off by pressing the B button and they light up Yellow like on your build.  I figure you made those changes outside of the source on yours.  Just thought it was cool that I was able to alter the source to work right with your GUI.  At this point for me, Left and Right don't do anything in the GUI.  I'd love to get it to do the superscroll like yours though.

Thanks again,
Rx

Hey underworlderZer0,

Yeah.  I'm glad me and BP are talking too.  He really has been a great help and it's nice having somebody to bounce ideas around with.  I wish I could be more help to him and his build, but we've diverged so much that even though I think both of our end results could end up extremely similar, the means to get there are so different at this point that the builds are virtually incompatible.  

Take care,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #318 on: May 02, 2008, 02:11:00 AM »

You got the SNES games working BP?

They don't work for me.  They're all too slow and no sound.  Plus I've heard that the Mode 7 graphics dont' work right, but didn't bother verifying because they were unplayable for me anyways.

I'm really considering abandoning my work at this point because I just can't seem to get the fix in that I wanted to get, and your emu does so much more that I probably woudn't be able to add on my own even if I got it working right.  Maybe I'll just work on gathering all of the remaining games that you didn't add to CoinOPS 3rd quarter when it's released and clean up the romnames, manufacturer names, years, and fix the keymapping on them.  You do all your keymapping fixes outside of the source anyways, right BP?

Crap.  I've put so much work into this, but I'm at a complete dead-end now.  I'd hate to let it go, but I just don't know what else to do at this point.  I may be buying a house soon too and it will be a HUGE project fixing it up and I just wont' have any time to work on it then.

BritneysPAIRS

• Archived User
« Reply #319 on: May 02, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »

As I said I want to see your project succed.... I cant allow what you want in CoinOPS but if you want to allow me to continue and you support some changes you will have your code/changes most put in and a patch will be allowed but you must listen as I am just doing my own thing..... there is always issues when presenting code and allways bugs or diff ways of doing stuff and you will have to except changes before stuff goes in or that I will alter stuff going in but 90percent of your stuff would make it in.....and maybe 95percent with some stuff being tweaked. (EG I cant except the screenroation stuff as it should be done properly with a switch and looking at will cause bugs esp with new filters as they use the rotation code. Plus id say theres better ways to handle it)

Anyway its up to you to work with me on my project (and sorry I will be critical and issues will arrise but if you work with them or with me they will mostly be ironed out, and also it will be my final say) or else on your own project, if you worked with me I would of course allow alot in and also patch in hidden stuff for you at times that I wont use..... But I dont wish to work with you on your project much as I have my own one. And also due to time, stuff wont happen always when you want but in time it normally will.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2008, 01:41:00 AM »

I'd like to help you BP, but I don't really know what i could do to assist your project.  I'm under the impression that you're pretty much locked into the source that you already have because of hex changes and stuff, and all I really know how to do is alter source.  I'd like to see the 2 player alternating games working right.  Any ideas on how you can add that to your own build?  I'm sure there are better ways of going about it than I'm doing, but I don't have a clue where to even begin.  

If you've got ideas about things I could do to help, let me know.  I'd rather spend time working on something that is going to be useful in the end.  Right now I'm feeling like I've wasted the last 2 months of my life making a debug box and altering code and I can't get it to do what I want it to do.  I'm pushing 30 and I'm kinda just now deciding that I don't really want to spend the last year of my youth doing this full time when I'm not at work.

Smothermunchie

• Archived User
« Reply #321 on: May 08, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

Not sure if this has been asked already, so here it goes.

Since I have a limited Xbox standard hard drive, is it possible not to FTP everything over onto it?

I think I need to cut out maybe one gig of junk from CoinOps.

Also, what's the bottom baseline needed in terms of free memory on the Xbox?

Is it safe to have less than a 100 megs left on the C: drive?

Thanks.  smile.gif

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #322 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »

All good questions SM.....

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers for you though.  I have 3 XBoxes, two of them have 120 GB and one has a 500 GB.  When I made my first one a little over a year ago I played around with the standard hard drive for about a week before I learned how to upgrade and I took a drive I had laying around never looked back.  

You might be able to hunt those answers down or find somebody who knows, but I really think your time would be better spent just doing an upgrade.  It's so worth it to be able to have every game I'd ever want to play on the Box and never once have I had to mess around with network sharing or burning disks.  (I do use network sharing for TV shows and movies though because XBMC makes that so easy and transfering TV shows and movies to the XBox and deleting them when I'm done is just silly)

It's cheap and easy to do.  Check out the hard drives at newegg.com.  Shipping oftentimes is free and you'll usually have your drive in 3 days max.  JUST MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR EEPROM AND YOU"LL ALWAYS BE ABLE TO FIX ANYTHING YOU MESS UP!!!!! smile.gif

If you go this route and need some advice, just let me know.  I haven't been around as much now that I'm enjoying the nice weather but I'm still active.  

Actually, I've still done some more work on the project since my last post.  It's not dead either, but I can't devote all my free time to it anymore.  It was getting crazy there how much time I was putting into it and letting everything else just slide.  I haven't tested more than 1/3rd of the games yet now that a majority of the code changes have gone in, but I'm actually quite suprised at how many 2 player alternating games I've fixed with the code changes and tinkering I've done.  I'm guessing in the end it will be somewhere around 300 2 player alternating games that I've fixed.  There are, admitedly, a few bugs that effect other games (I think 3 games so far), but now that I'm really starting to get the logic to the MAME code, I think I know how to fix them too.  Also, the other day I managed to figure out how to individually re-map games on drivers with many games on them like NeoGeo, which before I thought couldn't be done.  The problem was that if you remapped one of them, all of them were remapped.  This was usually fine for fighting games across a driver because if you swithed it so A was jump on one then A was jump 95% of the time or more on all of them, but if there were any overhead shooters, it would do things like change your main weapon to X button and the secondary to A button which just didn't work for me.  So that's good news too... I will be able to perfectly map every single game (minus trackball & gun game).  

Keep an eye out for this thread in the future for updates.  I'm just not going to be as active as I was.

competes2win

• Archived User
« Reply #323 on: May 09, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Smothermunchie @ May 8 2008, 05:27 PM) View Post

Not sure if this has been asked already, so here it goes.

Since I have a limited Xbox standard hard drive, is it possible not to FTP everything over onto it?

I think I need to cut out maybe one gig of junk from CoinOps.

Also, what's the bottom baseline needed in terms of free memory on the Xbox?

Is it safe to have less than a 100 megs left on the C: drive?

Thanks.  smile.gif

As for whether it is safe to have less than 100 megs on the C drive i don't know... but for your other question, I think it's simple enough to just not transfer over 1 gig of the games that you don't want.

run088

• Archived User
« Reply #324 on: May 09, 2008, 03:18:00 AM »

Is there an option to control which system mame tries to emulate?Which ever system each individual rom uses wheather it be neo-geo,cps1,cps2?If not has anyone ever heard of mame getting confused and trying to load say a cps1 game the way it does for say a neo-geo game?Or trying to load all the files the way it does a neo-geo rom and causing all files but the neo-geo files to not work properly?If so how do you fix it?Or is this something only relating to hooking up mame with a network share because that is the way I have it hooked up.The funny thing is if say the emulator only sees 1 systems files it will play them correctly but if it sees more than one systems files it will load neo-geo bios everytime even if the roms are in the same folder or not, as long as the emulator can see them it will default neo-geo bios.Can anyone help?

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #325 on: May 09, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »

LOL.... my thread has become the free-for-all today....

However OT the question, I like to help out when I can.  I don't know anything about network sharing, so there may be a problem with that, but I've never heard anyone complain about that problem when using sharing.  Actually, I've been here over a year and I've never heard that particular problem mentioned for any MAME emulator at all, sharing or not.  So, assuming that nothing is wrong with your network, or the network sharing, I can only give you the same advice that I'd give anyone having any sort of emulator problems.  Delete the related TDATA and UDATA folders, delete the emulator and try it again.  You may want to do the same to whatever share problem you're using as well.  That's certainly not a normal problem, so something is probabaly wrong with the original install of the emulator or the settings got messed up somewhere.  If you're using MAMEox128 Plus! there are so many damn useless options in there that there's a chance you accidentally changed a setting that is giving you this problem too.  Not sure about that though.  Good luck.

run088

• Archived User
« Reply #326 on: May 09, 2008, 05:28:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply.Ive tried that several times as well as tried mameox,mamedox,mameox128plus all do the same on 3 different xboxes.It only happens over a network Im sure.I only asked here cause from reading the post it seems that most of the cutting edge mame minds dwell here didnt mean anything by it.Seen a post or two about some tech stuff figured it be cool to ask.If nothing else I guess I can run mameox128plus on one set of roms and mamedox on another because they use two different saves they should run alright then find out how to change the save folder on another build so it wont save to 45 or the 46 save.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #327 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »

Hey run... no worries about posting here.  Don't bother me none.  I was just commenting on it happening twice in a day is all.

I've derailed my own thread about 50 times already myself...

That being said, I hope somebody can help you out.  I know it's gotta suck to have two versions of MAME just because of this little problem.  I'd imagine there's got to be a way to fix it, but you know how the XBox learning curve is.  Since I never even knew there was a way to stream games until about 3 weeks ago and have no interest in doing it myself, you already know tons more about it than I do.  You might want to make your own thread on it though so the question gets more exposure.  

Good luck,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #328 on: May 09, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »

Well.... there ya go run  cool.gif

So I guess that's one more thing that my emulator is going to be missing whever I get around to a release.

I'll have to remember add "NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO USE NETWORK SHARE" to the "NOT FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL PUT THEIR XBOX IN A COCKTAIL TABLE" in the disclaimer section.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #329 on: May 10, 2008, 12:29:00 AM »

Well if you find an easy way to do it, I'd love for you to tell me how you did it.

I thought the whole cocktail mode thing would be an easy fix for making the alternating games swap controllers, but because there are a ton of different ways that the games themselves handle that function (old shooters like Galaxian and Galaga being the most annoying of the bunch), I don't think it's going to be nearly as easy as you think it is.... unless you can work your magic outside of the source, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24