xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24

Author Topic: Mameox128 - Working Romset Project  (Read 2580 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Mameox128 - Working Romset Project
« on: January 13, 2008, 02:27:00 PM »

Hello everybody.  I'm currently working on MAMEox128 v1.28 working romlist, and man is it taking a long time to test these games and properly document my findings.  I had a few questions I thought I'd throw out there to other members that might make my testing easier.  Any help that you guys could give would be great.

1.  Does anyone know how to get games like Guerrilla War and Heavy Barrel to work right?  You should be able to make your guy change direction and fire, but I can only move around and fire straight forward.  I thought maybe the other analog stick would work to change direction, but it doesn't.

2.  Does anyone know how to use the "pedal" for games like "Hydra"?  You can't start that particular game unless you use the pedal after inserting a coin, and none of the buttons seem to do that.  (Hydra works too slow to be enjoyable anyhow, but I'm sure that's not the only game that has this problem).

3.  Does anybody know, or could they point me in the direction to a FAQ on how to create your own datfiles for Romcenter so when I'm done I could make it available along with my findings and then you all can purge the non-working and duplicate roms from your sets?

4.  I saw that somebody released code for MAMEox128 v1.28 and it looks as though a few people might be interested in advancing the work on this.  Now I'm under the impression that for most of the upgrades to this emulator it would require a massive amout of work because of code changes after MAME .084.  With this in mind, if somebody were to come out with an updated version, what is the chances that my findings for working games not be valid with a new emulator?  I'm thinking nil, but perhaps somebody will update the emulator and get other games working.  Would these updates just be improvements to the GUI and ease of use?

Um.... I think that's all I have now.  I'll bring back more questions as they pop into my head.  Currently, I've gone through and tested 1,304 roms for MAME.  Can't say how long it will be before I finish, but I will use this thread for questions and updates on my progress.

Thanks guys and gals.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 02:44:00 AM »

I'm having another problem. If I press "back" and "black" the game will pause, however if I press "white" and "black" together the UI options screen won't come up. Has this ever happened to anyone before? Any suggestions?

I know that this used to work, but it doesn't anymore.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »

Some games, such as Joust say "Factory Settings Restored" after the romcheck.  I can't find any way to get past this.  Has anybody ever been able to do this?

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:47:00 AM »

Some games like "Kram" start off with a language selection screen.  Does anybody know how to select the language so you can continue on?

RMM

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do.    MAMEox128 is based on MAME .84 therefore the romset you need would be the .84 romset.  If you dont have the .84 romset all you would have to do would be to use a CLRMAMEPRO dat file such as the one found here:  MAME .84 to rebuild your romset and that should give you most of the games for MAME .84/MAMEox128

robot3

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »

I think he wants to get the massive rom set in a similar fashion to how the games appear in mame arcades. No trying to figure this and that, just click the game and it goes and thats it.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:05:00 AM »

Man... sometimes I think I speak in riddles or something.

I know this is built on v.84.   I have had a complete set of v.84 for about 6 months now, but it's crap playing it.  If you guys haven't noticed, only about 1/2 of the games actually work for MAME without errors on load, freezing your XBox or not responding correctly to the controls on load.  There are also a ton of dupes wasting space on your hard drive.  So far I've gone through over 1,500 of the games and tested them out personally.

I am going to remove all of the NON-WORKING roms and the DUPES that we don't need.  Then I want to create a new datfile in Romcenter so other people can purge all the bullshit.  

Comprende?

That being said, if you would care to answer any of my questions posted previously, it would be appreciated.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 04:14:00 AM »

Nobody is interested in this at all?  

Maybe I'll just keep my findings to myself.

xyteam

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 06:52:00 AM »

the geurilla war question-i dont think you can turn round,if you have tried ikari warriors you will find the same problem,unless maybe you go to the ingame menu by pressing back and white.then you can change around some of the controls but i think if you do that then it will change controls for all the games(but i could be wrong,maybe worth trying.)
the mameox128plus1.28 question-i think you have got mixed up with fbaxxxpro1.28.the fba sourcecode was released a while back but mameox1.28 sourcecode hasnt been released.
i can tell you this though as i stumbled upon it by accident,bendermike who developed bendermameox,tried to update mameox past .84 and tried his hand at .92(something like that) but he was having problems with it.not an easy job i dont think,well anyway he released the sourceode for the mameox he was biulding for this new mame.
ui options question-its BACK and WHITE not black and white together.
joust question-to get past the factory settings screen which by the way all williams arcade games have(80s ones anyway) you either leave it for a couple of minutes,or just play around pressing the different buttons.
a quick question have you been looking at the suppoerted games.text,as there are some games on there that arent .84 roms but still work.example raiden fighters2(2000).

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »

Hello.  Thank you for the replay xyteam.

1.  Yes.  I noticed the problem with Ikari Warriors as well.  I have about 5 games I've noticed this problem with, including "Forgotten Worlds" which somebody else mentioned in a seperate post here last week.  I'll have to see if I can come up with a fix, but I still can't enter the UI menu to try.  

2.  Yes.  I got that mixed up.  The FBA source is released, not the MAME source.

3.  That's what I heard about upgrading MAME.  It was attempted at least once and there were some major problems with it.   I heard they wouldn't be able to add a whole lot of games anyhow because of the XBox's limitations and they just gave up.

4.  I've tried every two button combination I can with BACK, START, BLACK and WHITE and for some reason the UI options doesn't work anymore for me.  I can get the game to pause by pressing BLACK AND BACK and I can exit back out to the romlist by pressing START AND BACK, but the UI options just doesn't work.

5.  Bummer about the Joust and other Williams games.  

6.  No.  I had not looked at that.  I thought the only games supported for MAMEox were in MAME v.84  I will have to check that out and add those extra games to my list.

Thanks for your help.  If you have any idea why the UI Options aren't working anymore for me, I'm all ears.

hargle

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Jan 15 2008, 05:06 PM) *

5.  Bummer about the Joust and other Williams games.  

I just hit the reset button (to reset the ROM, not the xbox!) and the scrambled line stuff will typically go away after just a couple seconds.  Robotron and joust are 2 of my favorite games of all time.

For my setup, I took the .dat file linked to in this thread and down-converted my 110 collection down to 84, then had clrmamepro build a set of non-merged set of roms.  (that is, each zipfile was its own game and contained all the roms needed to play that game).  I then pushed all of those ROMs onto my xbox and went through and deleted out a lot of the clones, mahjong, and games that were too big to fit in memory or ran way too slow.  Since the ROMs themselves weren't merged, it was easy to delete a single game without nuking any others.

I deleted just enough ROMs to get the whole collection to fit inside 1 folder (4096 file per folder limit).

Then I moved the whole collection back onto my PC and had clrmame pro then merge all the remaining roms to save space.  Throw in the screenshot collection from XER and you've got a pretty sweet setup.  While I play mainly the classics (I'm old, plus I also have a dedicated MAME machine, so I don't really need it on my xbox) I haven't really had a problem with games not working.

I'd be happy to have clrmamepro spit out a .dat file that you could use if that would speed up your work.  

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 06:05:00 PM »

Hi Hargle,

Great man.  Thanks for the fix on the Williams arcades.  I'll make a note of that in the list for all of them.  Unfortunately, I can't test your fix because for some reason MAME isn't allowing me to reset either.  Hmmmmmm....... I can pause and exit back out to MAME, but I cant reset the rom or access the UI settings.  This is getting really frustrating, because I know I used to be able to do both of those things and I don't believe I've changed anything.... at least I can't figure out what's changed anyways.

Joust and Robotron are two of the best games made, although I mainly played them on the Atari 7800 when my dad bought them for my brothers and I on Christmas.  I loved Christmas... my old man would buy like 10 games for whatever system we had at the time.

For my setup so far, I scoured the interenets for months and came up with a perfect and complete set of MAME .84.  After all that hard work, I was more than a little disappointed to see just how many roms didn't work and the obscene number of Mahjong games which drive me up a wall.  

It looks like you've gone through the trouble that I have already and I really appreciate your offer for your datfile, but I'm kinda OCD about it and want a perfect set, that's perfectly documented.  I've never been much of a team player..... smile.gif  If you know how to create a datfile for either Romcenter or Clrmamepro though, that'd be awesome.  I probably won't be done with this for about a month or two but I want to be able to offer (what I consider to be) a perfect MAME datfile and the excell spreadsheet documenting the reasons why games don't work.  I've gotten through about 1,700 or so roms now, so I might as well "stay the course".

That's a good idea about making all the roms full sets first.  I was considering doing that because I want to change a lot of the default roms to "US" roms instead of "World" roms if for no other reason than because I'm quite partial to the Anti-Drug campaign by William Sessions.  LOL.... I laugh everytime I see that.  I thought doing it the way you suggested would probably be the easiest way to accomplish that.

I'm getting pretty old too.  Double Dragon is the best arcade ever.

Thanks for the reply!

RMM

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »

I am going to remove all of the NON-WORKING roms and the DUPES that we don't need. Then I want to create a new datfile in Romcenter so other people can purge all the bullshit.  

OK, gottcha

Since Hargle has offered to create a .dat and you want to continue to work on you own, might I suggest once you finish your work and create your .dat compare it to the one created by Hargle to see the differences between the two then go back and maybe test those games you differ on to see why there is a discrepancy.  This should give a pretty good definitive list of working games.

robot3

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Jan 15 2008, 10:05 AM) View Post

Man... sometimes I think I speak in riddles or something.

I know this is built on v.84.   I have had a complete set of v.84 for about 6 months now, but it's crap playing it.  If you guys haven't noticed, only about 1/2 of the games actually work for MAME without errors on load, freezing your XBox or not responding correctly to the controls on load.  There are also a ton of dupes wasting space on your hard drive.  So far I've gone through over 1,500 of the games and tested them out personally.

I am going to remove all of the NON-WORKING roms and the DUPES that we don't need.  Then I want to create a new datfile in Romcenter so other people can purge all the bullshit.  

Comprende?
That being said, if you would care to answer any of my questions posted previously, it would be appreciated.

actually you were not specific at all until you made the post that is quoted above. However since all the basics are now covered, I wish you the best of luck on your project and look forward to any/all progress you make with it.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 02:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(RMM @ Jan 16 2008, 04:11 AM) View Post

Since Hargle has offered to create a .dat and you want to continue to work on you own, might I suggest once you finish your work and create your .dat compare it to the one created by Hargle to see the differences between the two then go back and maybe test those games you differ on to see why there is a discrepancy.  This should give a pretty good definitive list of working games.

I think that's a great idea actually RMM.  What do you think Hargle?  I suppose I could use that datfile now.  I'll just have to learn how to use clrmame pro if you don't have a Romcenter version available.  

-----

Heh... yeah Robot3.  I guess I wasn't very clear above.  I've mentioned my intentions on another thread or two and I didn't really lay it out good above.  Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the words of support.

------

DAMN UI OPTIONS!!! LOL..... Still can't get them to work.  What the hell?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 24