xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: System Shock 2 Emulator?  (Read 82 times)

6h05T_R1d3R

• Archived User
System Shock 2 Emulator?
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

is there anyway to get system shock to run on an xbox?
thanks  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Clockface

• Archived User
System Shock 2 Emulator?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

System Shock (the original game) might run under DOSXBox, as it's a DOS game, though I don't know how well it would perform. System Shock 2 won't run as it's Windows only, and it can't be ported as (to the best of my knowledge) it's still closed source.

Actually, System Shock 2 *might* be made to work on an XBox, if you use Linux and WINE, or some other Linux solution, but I can't help there as I know nothing about Linux, sorry. If you try then please let us know your results - aparently Half life has been made to run on an XBox under Linux and WINE (or whatever), but I've not seen it.

Good luck.

VampX

• Archived User
System Shock 2 Emulator?
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

Because of the way the rights to the System Shock series were sold after Looking Glass liquidated,
the possibility of a System Shock 3 is unlikely. Many companies purchased small sections of the franchise,
and many of these companies do not even know they own them. Some fans hold the view, however,
that this also prevents any company from making an "unworthy" sequel. Electronic Arts does appear
to own the majority of the rights, though, as they have sent cease and desist letters to groups
and individuals making unofficial System Shock-based content for various games.

Man they dont even know who owns the franchise anymore  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

if you really wanted a port of system shock 2 i say track down the company that made ss2,
and politly ask them about their views on opensourcing SS2.

keyword is politly

enderandrew

• Archived User
System Shock 2 Emulator?
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 11:27:00 PM »

Actually Irrational, featuring many of the original developers are doing an unofficial sequel to System Shock 2 called Bioshock.  Meanwhile, EA is making the official System Shock 3.