xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Tsop Flash  (Read 2369 times)

punkasscrab

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2003, 01:50:00 PM »

OK. I finally got the guts and flashed.

I used a 512k image in raincoat.

Grounded A19 by flipping the SPDT switch to the ground position before booting XBOX.

Flashed with the -p command (forget that  -a 800000 stuff if you have a switch).

It worked like a champ.

The negative side now boots the original bios (works on Live).

The Positive VCC side now boots the "alternate" bios.

BTW - The 512K bios that you flash with raincoat should be a mirrored single 256k bios.

sallylu

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2003, 02:41:00 PM »

can you explain abit more detail.......please......

how to flash with raincoat?

IntestineMan

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2003, 03:24:00 PM »

AutoSize bios file:
   Evox will now automatically autosize the bios image to fit the flash type e.g.
   256 -> 512 ; 256 -> 1024 ; 512 -> 1024   

Now in fact, Evox will actually detect the flash type as 1024K and attempt to flash it all, but because A19 is hard-wired, only half of it is accessible, will actually be written twice to the same bank because of this! There will not be an error during the second write because the bytes are all identical. This is what appears to happen with X2 pro and Evox when writing a 256K or 512K bank.

Raincoat and Evox use block/sector erase, and the block/sector is to be erased is selected by address lines A16-A19. Since A19 is hard-wired with the switch, it is also not possible to erase the entire chip but instead only sectors in one bank or another, depending on the state of A19 switch. The only case in which chip erase is used is for a v1.2 mainboard. This is because that is the only way to erase that TSOP and is really irrelevant in this discussion because that TSOP is only 256K anyways. Protection is built into raincoat though and here is a quote from the 0.5 readme which explains:

W49F020 has no block erase, only chip erase.  Chip erase is only allowed by raincoat
if the two kinds of block erase failed to work and you are writing the whole 256KBytes starting from the beginning, as a safety feature.

Having said all this, it is still slightly dangerous to flash a larger 1024K BIOS if using a bank switch, because if the origin of the 1024K file is unknown and the first half of it contains differences than the second half , Evox or raincoat will write different data to the same bank on its 2nd-write (remember it thinks it is 1024K) causing corruption. It is in fact safer to use a 256K BIOS with Evox because then you know for sure that the other 256K in the bank will be identical because Evox copies it for you. Making the 512K yourself there is margin for error. But even so, one could still boot from the other bank and the flip the switch back to save the corrupted one - one would have to seriously screw-up to wreck their Xbox with a bank switch!

Did that make any sense? If any questions or anything is unclear or confusing then please follow-up.

IntestineMan

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2003, 03:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (punkasscrab @ May 23 2003, 10:50 PM)
OK. I finally got the guts and flashed.

I used a 512k image in raincoat.

Grounded A19 by flipping the SPDT switch to the ground position before booting XBOX.

Flashed with the -p command (forget that  -a 800000 stuff if you have a switch).

It worked like a champ.

The negative side now boots the original bios (works on Live).

The Positive VCC side now boots the "alternate" bios.

BTW - The 512K bios that you flash with raincoat should be a mirrored single 256k bios.

Are you sure that is correct and you didn't get it backwards?

You said you grounded A19 and flashed a different BIOS (alternate BIOS). So therefore the positive VCC side should still contain the original BIOS!

Unless I didn't realize and you had previously flashed your entire TSOP with an alternate BIOS and were actually flashing the original?

MtG2k

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2003, 04:56:00 AM »

just simplyfy things alot there

first off if the box is unmodded you have to use the linux method (raincoat)
because there is no way to just up n load EvoX *altho it would be nice*
its not that hard to do and when you do flash it i reccomend using the newest X2 Bios that you can get your hands on
and use the Xecuter 2 bios manager to make a bios like this

Bank 1:Retail MS
Bank 2:Retail MS
Bank 3:X2
Bank 4:X2

then install your switch (SPDT middle to a19, top to vcc bottom to gnd) *you can switch vcc and gnd around as long as a19 stays in the middle*

FIREitUP

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »

i have a problem, i fucked up my xbox tsop and i accidently ripped off the top jumper, it wont solder back on but i taped a wire in that spot (should work??) anyways i was wondering if there is any way to fix it, i have a 1.1 and a matrix modchip, but i dont have linux on my comp.  is there any way?? please help!!

MtG2k

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2003, 10:56:00 PM »

sad.gif

MtG2k

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2003, 03:39:00 PM »

i have no clue whats wrong, it sounds like you may have a wrong solder point or a bad bios flash
you can try inserting your original 007 and have then turn the box on and see if it boots 007 (mine actually booted 007 w/o a bios lol)

c-2

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2003, 07:19:00 AM »

the 007 flash is simple with a memory card .. i have done 15 of them so far :]  

FIREitUP i did the same thing to a box (ripped off the top jumpers) before i did a flash tho, i just put in a cheapmod and everything is fine .. u're mod should still boot if soldered in correctly .. good luck

sallylu

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

latest picture of my mobo

i have clean it with nail vanish and a cotton bud

picture of my latest mobo

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

and put everything back together..... but still flash
green and red non-stop
no picture or sound

FIREitUP

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2003, 03:35:00 PM »

thx for your help, and yeah my mod still works, but im kinda pissed that my tsop is fucked, and by the way im planning on building a cheapmod can you help me i have some questions please?

hazza78692

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2003, 01:09:00 AM »

hi
can anyone explain the how do i do the actual flashing in detail
i have the stdp switch installed and my xbox bootsproperly
and if the wire touck each other will i screw my xboxso the wires should not touch
just nee info on how to flash i have the 1 meg multibios image created

thanks in advance

quickness

• Archived User
Tsop Flash
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2003, 07:09:00 AM »

i flashed my tsop with the 007raincoat file and everything erased and flashed successfully, but when i start the xbox I get the dreaded turn off and on 3 times then flashing green and red light. I used a 1mb bios file and didn't have any errors or anything. What can I do to save it? Please help!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]