xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Few Spice Questions  (Read 87 times)

donth8tnOObs

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« on: December 15, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »

I think i want an Xenium SPICE after x-mas but i want to be sure it is right 4 me.

1st - is it compatible with all versions of Xbox with solderless?

2nd - is it solderless *period*?

3rd is it basically the same chip as the ICE but with a cooler name? lol

4th - what does FTP stand for (lol that was the most nOOb question that i ever asked lol but i need to know

5th - can i connect my xbox to my computer with a system-link cable (i have a network card already but no other crossover cord) to upload programs such as dvd2xbox

thnx ahead of time and i kinda want to know this so i can get to hacking my xbox lol

jam013200

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »

1) Yes....this is the fail safe way to order the Xenium chip w/ solderless adapter. You dont have to open your box before hand to verify version. This works on all boxes...period.

2) See last statement of #1

3) The SP of the SPICE name designates that it is a "package" of the chip and solderless adapters. The chip is identical to the Xenium ICE chip you would purchase regularly.

4) FTP = File Transfer Protocol. This basically means that the Xenium chip can act as a "window" to your hard drive for you to make changes in case you screw something up. This is by far the best feature of the Xenium chip in my opinion. The chip has a built in FTP server in the OS (operating system...of the chip) that allows you to connect to the hard drive via the chip.....a bit more technical but you get the idea.

5) You can connect to the XBox via a computer either by direct connection (crossover cable) or by putting the xbox on a network where it can be assigned a IP address (router, switch, hub, etc.). In my case I have my router next to my cable modem and the xbox is plugged into one of the 4 ports in the back of the router. All my PC's use wireless. The router assigns IP address's to everything including the xbox. I than use CoreFTP (free program) to connect to the Xbox. Easy as pie!!

Good luck to you....if you are considering a mod chip souce than may I recommend BMMods.com ? I have ordered three Xenium ICE chips from them all came nicely packaged and quickly shipped. The others listed on this site are probably go too its just that I have used BMMods and have had good success.

noleman233

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:20:00 PM »

Agreed. SPIce is the way to go along with BMMods.com, they ship fast and items are well packaged for protection during shipping.

BrutalDrew

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

I was in the same position as you are now a couple of days ago. I also ordered the Xenuim SP ICE and I am very happy with it. Installation was pretty easy for the most part. All you have to do is place the solderless adapter over the LPC contacts, screw it in and then put the d0 wire into the d0 hole. This is where I had slight problem. The d0 wire wouldn't exactly fit into the d0 hole. Instead it was just making contact, resting on top of it. As a result of this, when I booted my Xbox it would just boot the default dashboard and everything. I had to file the wire down a little at the tip in order for it to fit. After that all you have to do is push the modchip down on the front 6 pins.

I would test the modchip before reasembling your Xbox. If everything worked fine just install the external LED module if you wish and continue with the installation of EveloutioX and flashing the BIOS.

I found this guide very helpful in the process of modding my Xbox:
http://www.teamxodus...op=getit&lid=41

donth8tnOObs

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(jam013200 @ Dec 15 2005, 08:01 PM) View Post

1) Yes....this is the fail safe way to order the Xenium chip w/ solderless adapter. You dont have to open your box before hand to verify version. This works on all boxes...period.

2) See last statement of #1

3) The SP of the SPICE name designates that it is a "package" of the chip and solderless adapters. The chip is identical to the Xenium ICE chip you would purchase regularly.

4) FTP = File Transfer Protocol. This basically means that the Xenium chip can act as a "window" to your hard drive for you to make changes in case you screw something up. This is by far the best feature of the Xenium chip in my opinion. The chip has a built in FTP server in the OS (operating system...of the chip) that allows you to connect to the hard drive via the chip.....a bit more technical but you get the idea.

5) You can connect to the XBox via a computer either by direct connection (crossover cable) or by putting the xbox on a network where it can be assigned a IP address (router, switch, hub, etc.). In my case I have my router next to my cable modem and the xbox is plugged into one of the 4 ports in the back of the router. All my PC's use wireless. The router assigns IP address's to everything including the xbox. I than use CoreFTP (free program) to connect to the Xbox. Easy as pie!!

Questions about the answers lol

QA3-what comes in the SPICE kit that doesnt come in the ICE one?

QA5-Sooo can i just connect it to my network plug on my computer and let that CoreFTP program do the rest?

QAE-the site BMMods.com, on there SPICE page they say that the sodlerless adapter is extra? i thought it came with the pakage?

New Questions-

Q1 - would you recomend installing a new hard-drive? if so what is involved in the process?

Q2 - Can i Download programs (i.e dvd2xbox) from my computers hardrive directly to my xbox's through the Network Cable via FTP? Will it work visa versa?

thnx ahead of tima and for all the help last time i belive now that i am definitly gonna get the SPICE chip muhaha.gif (all i need is some ca$h lol laugh.gif )

BrutalDrew

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 08:26:00 PM »

The SP ICE comes with everything needed to do a solderless install, the ICE does not. As for your other questions, the link I posted covers installing a new HDD and getting the FTP set up.

jam013200

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 09:43:00 PM »

QA3: A solderless adapter ONLY used for a v1.6 box and a USB adapter so you can connect a USB device to the xbox.

QA5: Yes....only with a crossover cable can you connect directly the xbox to a pc

QAE: no they don't...look again-- http://www.bmmods.co...productid=16239
(perhaps you are looking at the "solder install kit"....it comes with the stuff necessary to solder the chip to your board, you don't need that stuff??)

New ?'s-----

Q1: Of course you would install a new HDD, I have a 250GB Maxtor in mine that I paid like $60-$70 for. I will not get into the details of what you can put on the HDD but I'm sure you can use your imagination.

Q2: Yep....its called FTP'ing.........that's why you need that CoreFTP program. Check out the link that BrutalDrew provided

Good Luck!

donth8tnOObs

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

Hard Drive Questions

First off i wanna say that i am using 56k internet and it is teh suck!!!1! cussing.gif
on that note the page posted by BrutalDrew wouldnt load sad.gif

second here are some more N()()B Questions this time concerning the Hard drive

which should i get lol

What RPM?
What Form (IDE, SATA, etc)
What Size (3.5 inch?)
What size cache?
Any Suggested Man. (Western Digitol, Seagate, Maxtor)
Any Suggested Size (i want the most bang for my buck lol)

^i'm only asking these stupid questions because i dont want to buy a HD and it not work with my Box. you guys can relate right?

thnx ahead of time lol you know the drill

PS- is www.newegg.com a good site to get a hard drive price-wise?

jam013200

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »

Here is a list of "compatible" hard drives for the xbox: http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

For cheap hard drives....just watch the ads. I check www.dealsea.com everyday for stuff, they have harddrives like every few weeks.

The hardrive in the xbox is a UATA(??) its the one that uses an IDE cable (flat "ribbon" cable).

Other than that just get the size you want/need, I personally use a 250GB 7200RPM 8Mb Cache Maxtor in my box.

Newegg is a good place to order from but not the cheapest.....watch the ads (I.E.: Bestbuy, Circuit City, Office Depot, Staples, Frys Electronics, etc.)

donth8tnOObs

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

sry i couldent get back to you guys lol. i had school.sleeping.gif

well i think i finally figured out what i'm going to do...

i'm going to bmmods and having them install everything for me
this means though, that i have to send my xbox to them, and i really dont want to!

but the upside is that i dont have to install the modchip and they SOLDER it in so its not gonna be some solderless install (please dont comment on that lol) and the'll do the hard drive install too aswell as transfer my savegames. oh yeah they will also install a better fan for an extra 10 bucks.

so here is my debate.

Pros.

Solder install
profesionall install
new fan
new HD
and they will transfer my savegames onto the HD

Cons.

$250
possible shipping damage
price^
price^
price^
lol PRICE^
oh and time

so send me your feedback

thnx ahead of time blah blah blah...

BrutalDrew

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 05:12:00 PM »

I would do it yourself. I was a complete newb to xbox modding a week ago and after some research I bought the Xenuim SP ICE. Installation is really easy with it. You can see the installation here:
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=403722

I was actually really suprised as to how easy it was. The only thing I had a problem with was the d0 wire wouldn't fit. This is a common problem and can be fixed by just using a nail file to make it a little sharper at the end.

Upgrading your hardrive is also really simple. The link I provided above covers this along with plenty of other things that will help you with the procedure. I HIGHLY recommend you use it.

jam013200

• Archived User
A Few Spice Questions
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »

Do it yourself and save some money, plus there is enough information out there for you to become an expert! Get the solderless adapter and install it! I have done three now.....my first one was a little hairy because I ordered a Xecuter 2.6CE and it did not have FTP support so it was a little scary. Now I only use Xenium ICE's.

Good Luck.

PS- If you were going to spend $250 to get them to do it you can get a chip and large HDD for less than half that!