xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'm Sure This Has Been Asked Before But...  (Read 293 times)

666weasel

• Archived User
I'm Sure This Has Been Asked Before But...
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »

Well I am pretty new to the more complex aspects of computers in general, but I remember reading somewhere that the reason for slow or buggy emulation etc can usually be boiled down to the fact that you have an Xbox emulating an N64 running an N64 game, like those Russian dolls that get smaller and smaller....the more layers to the process the less power to go go around......

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »

This is explained in the pinned topic 'the final word on xbox emulation'

http://forums.xbox-s...showtopic=55857

What an emulator does is recreates the specific hardware for another system with software. And then that software runs on the hardware of the host system. So just imagine for a second. Two systems that are just about on par with each other as far as speed goes. The only way to get full speed would be to have the true hardware for the system. Software could never hope to emulate a system that is close to the same speed as the host hardware. For a good example, think of hardware rendering vs software rendering...which is faster? The hardware of course.

obviously that is referring to ps2, but it also applies to n64 and all other systems for that matter

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »

Lets also not forget that N64 emulation is.. lacking

I once read that N64 emulation is bad because most of the emulation is based on game specific speedhacks instead of accurate emulation,
which results in lots of errors.

then again i only read it, i dont claim it to be true.

slowmaz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 05:06:00 PM »

well you have to understand how code is procesed...right now nobody can make homebrew apps or emus that utilize the xbox graphics processor or GPU...this is due to the lack of GPU Sdk in the "scene"...i have asked authors of PC emulators such as R.Belmont author of the Zinc emu and he told me that he cannot port zinc because of this...so same thing with N64...all the emulator can use for horsepower is the main Cpu...so optimizations can be made to make the code more streamlined but this process usually is more complex than the original coding....like writing a novel...editing it is the hardest part...even though the story works and you can read it to the end it has alot of changes that can make it better  beerchug.gif

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sweetheart @ Mar 11 2005, 01:03 AM)
Funny you guys talkin like this. Ive only got about 6 n64 roms, but they all run almost perfectly on my Xbox.  blink.gif

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sweetheart @ Mar 11 2005, 01:25 AM)
As long as Zelda will run ok, Im happy!

dopelogic

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »

the second post in this thread discribes it best. xbox can do nes and snes better than n64 simply becuase the original hardware was less complex. the xbox hardware has less work to do in emulating the system and therefore can allocate more system recources to running the actual rom. on n64 alot of your initial system resources are going to the emulator (becuase its more complex) so less "power" can be feed to the rom. you have to remember that the xbox was designed to play xbox games not nes, snes, n64 etc. when you put an emulater on the system and then play a rom your making your hardware (xbox) run software (emulator) to make it think its another type of hardware(nes, snes, n64, etc) in order to run more software (games). not chastising you, just explaining. mainly we should all just be happy that the developers have put as much time in as they have. developers, you guys rock!!!

Viewtiful Asher

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(666weasel @ Mar 10 2005, 08:59 PM)
Well I am pretty new to the more complex aspects of computers in general, but I remember reading somewhere that the reason for slow or buggy emulation etc can usually be boiled down to the fact that you have an Xbox emulating an N64 running an N64 game, like those Russian dolls that get smaller and smaller....the more layers to the process the less power to go go around......

Viewtiful Asher

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Sweetheart @ Mar 11 2005, 03:20 AM)
SCRAPLAND!

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(WCCorleone @ Mar 11 2005, 03:41 AM)
So the N64 is not as powerful and the Xbox is, but when trying to run N64 software the Xbox hardware can't do it.

Viewtiful Asher

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

how do you know That I have a tattoo? I dont believe I have stated that anywhere on this site...You're freaking me out man!

maybe because its in your avatar  

SATAN

WCCorleone

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »

Ok, so I've seen people say that upgrading RAM and that sorta thing won't help matters. IF it's a matter of having resources to use, why wouldn't that help?

666weasel

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »

QUOTE(Viewtiful Asher @ Mar 11 2005, 07:21 AM)
this 666weasel guy pm me and said....

VampX

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »

CODE

001 Run N64 thingy
002 wh000t emulation is at full speed captain, what now?
003 run any rom and damnit you better run it good!!
004 nooo massa not the whip again;_;
005 game running perfectly with only 5 lines of code

No you programmers dont you dare PM me asking for help,
my 1337 coding skillz are only for me and my secret ps2 emu.

BulkySam

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »

I have a ps2 emulator.  It runs all of my ps2 games right off the disk.  I call it the ps2.  If you want one, it'll cost you $149.99.
Pages: [1] 2