xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Benefits Of Upgrading Xeniumos  (Read 112 times)

5B2

• Archived User
Benefits Of Upgrading Xeniumos
« on: April 11, 2005, 05:49:00 AM »

Hey, I'm still fairly new at this and I could use a comment or two from more experienced users.
I have a ver 1.6 xbox and a Xenium Ice chip with OS 2.0.1 (I think). What are the benefits of upgrading to a newer version OS? Am I missing out on features or are there stability issues? Something else? I haven't discovered any flaws in the current OS...

Any comments (and perhaps a link to an upgrading tutorial) would be appreciated.

This post has been edited by 5B2: Apr 11 2005, 12:49 PM

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 06:24:00 AM »

Well, with upgrading from 2.0.1 to any of the newer versions you are given an obvious updated OS with various bug fixes as well as a slew of other abilities.

You will find yourself with the ability to not only skin and add skins to the Xenium OS but also the ability to control the LED's color and sequencing.

There is no reason not to update really and there is a guide I wrote which walks you through both methods of updating and features a nice troubleshooting page :P

You can find the link in my sig :)

5B2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 06:52:00 AM »

Great, thanks! PDF version and everything :)
Skinning and LED sequences are really cosmetics and not terribly interesting to me.

Are the known bugs serious at all?

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 07:03:00 AM »

Well...an RGB bug but...Well...that isn't an outright official bug...other than that....hrmmm....not really :) OH! sometimes when using a skin the OS will hang for a second in the beginning of boot...

5B2

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 07:04:00 AM »

Gnarly  ;)

spyman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 08:55:00 AM »

well what i noticed with the 1.6's is that if you don't update first and you use the os to do a hdd upgrade it will corrupt the E drive so games like need for speed underground 2 will freeze up after you create a profile.

5B2

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 02:41:00 AM »

Wow, so the potential hazards of upgrading the Xenium OS outweigh the benefits. I won't trade the option of using a fancy skin to having games freezing on me.

I think I'll stick with the current OS.

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 03:07:00 AM »

Don't listen to him chief. this occurance of games freezing is completly unrelated to the Xenium OR the Xenium OS. Trust me, it is best to upgrade, he was merely stating an untrue fact...maybe because he is unaware that the only thing he had to do in his situation was to clear his cache :P

5B2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »

I learned about the clear-cache trick the hard way, so that would not pose a headache... Is it true that newer versions of XeniumOS have a clear-cache feature?

So you're saying that I really should upgrade? Just for the skins, or are there better reasons?

thanks,

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »

it sure does :)

Well, there is no reason "not" to upgrade but if you really see no use for either LED or Skinning features then...well, you're fine with 2.0.1