xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Anyone Update Their Xos On A 1.6b?  (Read 146 times)

tnbigdawg

• Archived User
Anyone Update Their Xos On A 1.6b?
« on: December 23, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »

Has anyone updated their Xenium OS with a v1.6b xbox? If so how did you do it?

Elf_Sniper

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 06:08:00 PM »

As far as I've read, the only way you can update is to move your chip to a v1.5 or lower Xbox to update for the 1.6b

sry!

Artifex

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »

This is only true for blue Xeniums. Xenium ICE will update fine on all versions.

--Artifex

tnbigdawg

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(Artifex @ Dec 24 2004, 03:04 AM)
This is only true for blue Xeniums. Xenium ICE will update fine on all versions.

--Artifex

Well I do got a Xenium ICE and the update just screwed up my chip. I need help! How can I update the OS without another xbox?

Thanks for the replys everyone.

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

Burn it to a cdrw.

tnbigdawg

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 10:07:00 PM »

I got it working!!!!

Here's what I did:

put in my stock HDD which doesn;t have recover.bin file in it,

Burned a freshly DL'd and extracted Xenium OS 2.2.1 with a 1000mb dummy.bin, and a 1000mb dummy2.bin file using Nero.

NERO SETTINGS: "No Multisession", ISO Level 1, Uncheck Joliet and all ISO restrictions, Use ISO 9660, Write at 2x.

Recovery switch on chip is on, put in the disk and let it do it's thing. shutdown by itself.

Recovery switch off, and power up to see Xenium OS 2.2.1
Take the disk out.

Does this mean that everytime I want to update, I'll have to burn another cd? Other people are upgrading through their HDD just fine?

I forgot to mention that my HDD was still LOCKED when the upgrade actually worked. So those of you who can't get it working and think that their xbox read the cd's....TRY AGAIN!!!

This post has been edited by tnbigdawg: Dec 24 2004, 06:10 AM

droobie

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 03:57:00 AM »

I had problems with the 1.6b and the Xenium ICE too, using recovery.bin 2.2.0 HDD version.

Flicked the recovery switch, put in a 2.2.1 ISO with Factory Defaults.  Chip worked again.

Not sure what happened, but tried to recover from the 2.2.0 HDD version several times.  Kept loading fine, but then wouldn't strap.

Something fluky with the 1.6b I guess.

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 09:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(tnbigdawg @ Dec 24 2004, 12:07 AM)
[...snip...]
Does this mean that everytime I want to update, I'll have to burn another cd? Other people are upgrading through their HDD just fine?

I forgot to mention that my HDD was still LOCKED when the upgrade actually worked. So those of you who can't get it working and think that their xbox read the cd's....TRY AGAIN!!!

There's your problem; for the HDD update to work on a 1.6 you need to unlock your HDD. (It doesn't need to be unlocked for a CD update)

Also, I've found that using an FTP server other than XOS2's works wonders when trying to send over the recovery.bin. Odd I know, but I only ever have problems after trying to use XOS2 to FTP; usign avalaunch, evox, etc to FTP over, and the update takes fine every time :D

Artifex

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(appleguru @ Dec 24 2004, 05:16 PM)
There's your problem; for the HDD update to work on a 1.6 you need to unlock your HDD. (It doesn't need to be unlocked for a CD update)

Also, I've found that using an FTP server other than XOS2's works wonders when trying to send over the recovery.bin. Odd I know, but I only ever have problems after trying to use XOS2 to FTP; usign avalaunch, evox, etc to FTP over, and the update takes fine every time :D

Actually, interesting thing about the xos ftp issue.  If you copy the file over via xos ftp/smb, it will not read properly in recovery mode.  If you copy the file over in another ftp, it will.  If you have already copied the file over with another ftp, and you overwrite the existing file with xos ftp, it will also work fine.

Strange, eh?

--Artifex

TexT

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(tnbigdawg @ Dec 24 2004, 01:34 AM)
Anyone Update Their Xos On A 1.6b

Me! I never had a problem with Xenium...well only the HDTV bug, but that's no biggie.

NW_US3R

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 02:44:00 PM »

-Artifex-
is this true...
if upgrading using hd mode of xos, do i need to unlock my xbox (1.6b) hd first then do the update... confused
does team xodus is fixing this problem on their future updates..?

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(NW_US3R @ Dec 24 2004, 04:44 PM)
-Artifex-
is this true...
if upgrading using hd mode of xos, do i need to unlock my xbox (1.6b) hd first then do the update... confused

If I understand you correctly... Yes, you need to unlock your HDD if you want to upgrade the OS via a recovery.bin placed on E:. Just go to Disk Tools and select "Unlock HDD"... And as for:

If you mean needing to unlock the HDD to recover from a recovery.bin on 1.6 xboxen... This wont likely be fixed, as the recovery mode on the chip is non-upgradable (As a matter of policy rather than technically limited), and can't be changed on any existing chips... Is it really all that hard to go to the disk tools and unlock your HDD though? Plus, should your OS get hosed and you need to reflash it, you can always just burn a recovery CD; no need for an unlocked HDD then :)

Anyways, new functionality for upgrading the OS from withing the OS may be added in the future, elminating this issue altogether :)

tnbigdawg

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2004, 11:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(appleguru @ Dec 24 2004, 05:16 PM)

Actually, My HDD was UNLOCKED when I tried to update from HDD. I also ftp'd the recover.bin file using EVOX......and it never worked.

Do i updated with a dvd-r

Dangerously_Cheesy

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

If you have followed my guide (the xenium OS update guide can be found in my sig) and the problems will occur then do not worry. Because of a RAM timing issue with the v1.6b xbox's it may not recover properly...just get a friend to update the OS for you.

Master-Chief

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(tnbigdawg @ Dec 24 2004, 12:07 AM)
I got it working!!!!

Here's what I did:

put in my stock HDD which doesn;t have recover.bin file in it,

Burned a freshly DL'd and extracted Xenium OS 2.2.1 with a 1000mb dummy.bin, and a 1000mb dummy2.bin file using Nero.

NERO SETTINGS: "No Multisession", ISO Level 1, Uncheck Joliet and all ISO restrictions, Use ISO 9660, Write at 2x.

Recovery switch on chip is on, put in the disk and let it do it's thing. shutdown by itself.

Recovery switch off, and power up to see Xenium OS 2.2.1
Take the disk out.

Yeah, I had to do the same. :-/

This post has been edited by Master-Chief: Dec 26 2004, 01:20 AM