xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Getting An Error 21 When Booting To Retail  (Read 165 times)

Bitgod

• Archived User
Getting An Error 21 When Booting To Retail
« on: August 08, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

I'd copied the retail over to my Xenium Ice, and I'd swear I'd booted ok to it at least once to a test.  Now if I boot into OS2, choose to boot to the retail bios, it'll do a flubber, then I'll get blinking orange light on the eject button and an error 21.  Booting to M8 bios works fine.  Just kind of puts a damper on things if I want to try XBL again.  Any ideas?  I looked at the info on error code 21, seemed to be pretty general.  Tried locking the HD, which it wasn't before.

acemilo

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

21 is a generic error, it seems that most of the time it is due to an improper key.  Did you mess with the msdash at all?  Did you do any hacks to it that would change the xbe like prog scan mod or anything like that?  Try reinstalling the ms dash it can be found "around".

evildonkeymaster

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 02:24:00 PM »

I had the same problems at first wih my Ice. All it took to fix it was 1) lock the HD and 2) Copy over the original C: and E: drive from my retail drive. When I installed my new HD (160 GB) I used X-Disk and I tried with Slayers in both cases what ever they did to my C and E partitions caused my retail kernal to fail. Now with my OG drives contents copied over and the HD locked I can boot to retail kernal and go live (hooray for the stealth F: install!).

This post has been edited by evildonkeymaster on Aug 9 2004, 09:25 PM

terminator6874

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Try Slayers 2.0, there is a couple of patches on there. One says Pre and one says post.

Can't hurt

Bitgod

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

Ah, pointed me on the right direction.  Relised when I had tried it with the retail bios, that was from the regular HD.  I had since dropped in my HD from my other xbox, which of course had files on it for a 1.0 xbox, not a 1.6 :)  Moved stuff over, fixed problem.