xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Total N00b Guide To The Xenium Ice  (Read 1646 times)

vjreddy12

• Archived User
Total N00b Guide To The Xenium Ice
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (Master_Chief123 @ Aug 25 2004, 02:17 PM)
Gonna download the new XOS2beta2.  Excuse my ignorance, but whats the difference between the HDD and ISO versions?

ISO - All files are compiled ready to be burnt onto disk.

HDD - Files are individual and need to be FTPed to the HD.

wink.gif

Beebs

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

I really wish I had this guide when I installed my Xenium, LOL.

Awsome work.

cap269

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »

So, if I understand your problem, you highlight Retail Kernel, press A, XOS asks you if you want to launch Retail Kernel, you select OK and press A, and it takes you back to the XOS menu instead of launching?

Beebs

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »

If you're running the TSOP bios, you have to make sure that your MS Dash is labled xboxdash.xbe, as this is the default setting. Rename your Evox dash to evoxdash.xbe.

Oh, and don't forget to set the TSOP as the default in OS2 B2, then turn the power off. Now when you turn it back on, it should boot right to the MS dash, if you have turned Instant Boot on.

n8hydr8s

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2004, 06:34:00 PM »

where can i find this guide? i just put in a new ice chip and now im stuck i dont know what to do hhhhelpppp.....!!!!!

mrjkwik

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2004, 07:57:00 PM »

n8hydr8s,

first posts of the first page.

mrdevious

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2004, 02:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (cap269 @ Jul 25 2004, 07:08 AM)
The guide has been updated.

Link to guide -- CLICK HERE

Thanks for the Guide, a couple of questions:

1. The Continuity tester to determine the difference between a 1.4 version and a 1.5 ..... how do you utilize one of these and how expensive are they to purchase?

2. Will i run into risk of frying my Xbox if I don't use the continuity tester correctly?

3. Does the xbox have to be plugged into a power outlet for the continuity tester to get correct readings (sorry if this is a dumb question)....

4.  On the bottom of page 21 of your guide you state "all of the XBOX's reported having 1.5 boards were manufactured in August 2003. After that date until the 1.6 emerged, XBOX's were made with 1.4 boards......."  --------Does this mean that if my XBOX has a Focus video chip on it, and the date above the serial number on the bottom is 2003-09-19 ..that it would be a fair/good assumption that this is a 1.4 board??

Please let me know as I have ordered my xenium ice and am looking to have as much information as to the installation of it before I receive it.

Thanks.

shibby2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2004, 12:39:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

SimonG156

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2004, 04:33:00 AM »

Just a quick thank you for one of the best non-technical technical guides I have read.

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »

QUOTE (dibergio @ Dec 1 2004, 02:13 PM)
Link seems dead. any mirrors to it?

Link works for me.. but there's plenty of mirrors:

http://www.midsouthm...es/iceguide.pdf

http://www.teamxodus...ls/iceguide.pdf

Are a few...

The midsouthmods link most likely has the most up to date version though wink.gif

bviking

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2004, 06:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(jefdidit @ Dec 27 2004, 08:28 PM)
Great guide !  Did the pinheader install on a 1.2 box (my 1st ) and a hdd swap within 2 hours ! Not bad for a total n00b I think . Thanks ! Installing a new dash and stuff is still a   problem tho !

jefdidit

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

I've got the ftp thing down , every time I tried to install  an evox bios ( tried 2.0 , 2.1 , 2.2 ) the box just reboots to the xenium startup screen , also tried ftping the 3 evox files to the c drive and got the screen of death ,easy to undo tho . wtf ?  thanxs for the advice .

clouzot

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(jefdidit @ Dec 28 2004, 07:16 PM)
I've got the ftp thing down , every time I tried to install  an evox bios ( tried 2.0 , 2.1 , 2.2 ) the box just reboots to the xenium startup screen , also tried ftping the 3 evox files to the c drive and got the screen of death ,easy to undo tho . wtf ?  thanxs for the advice .

cap269

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2004, 12:52:00 PM »

The guide is now in HTML format.  You can see the new version HERE

ruckuslnyc

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2004, 12:35:00 AM »

Great guide!

Couple of suggestions that I feel would've helped a bit in my installation, use or disregard them as you please:

Recovery Switch: I had no idea there was a recovery switch on the Xenium Ice chip until I actually needed it (which is right now).  I think just pointing it out at least or maybe a little of how to use it would be great.  A general procedure for updating the Xenium OS would be great as well.  

This may get too picky, but I think it would've been easier if you'd said to remove the two screws and the controller units in the part about routing the wire for the external LED.  

I found that went soldering to a small point (the ones that the 30 AWG wire won't fit into) that it solders MUCH MUCH easier if you scrape the protective coating off with an exacto knife.  Just a little bit.  Just putting that option forward would be nice.

A more general suggestion but practical would be including a short section about repairing lifted pads and traces.  I know in my first time modding I did that and I bet many others have too.  Llamma.com has a good tutorial on that, maybe you could use part of his w/ permission or just write a short section.  Hey, I could even do that...I'm very good at it now!! haha

I hope I don't sound like a dick.  I thought that was an incredible guide and those are just the things that I was unsure about when I was going through the process.  Do with them what you will.
Thanks a ton!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4