xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gp32  (Read 294 times)

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2003, 02:08:00 PM »

I know there are the following emus for the GBA: NES, ZX Spectrum, Atari 2600 (<-was coded, never found out where it went though) and Sega SMS. There was somebody working on a mini-mame, but that person gave up long ago.
GBA will soon have the ability to play DiVX and other video formats, as well as MP3s. Also, Doom, Doom 2, and Wolfentein 3D have been ported to the GBA already. Quake is very do-able on the GBA, but its not going to be released because ID doesn't want it to be ported to the GBA.

GP32 looks like a great system though.

-Bender

Omizzay

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2003, 09:43:00 PM »

I just wanted to say that the easiest way to play movies on the gp32 is to encode them yourself using VirtualDub.  It really isn't too difficult to do, and there are comprehensive guides available at all the gp32 sites.

SSSSSmokey

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2003, 10:14:00 PM »

Mage, why don't you include them?  I know the Xbox's mediocre-at-best games are still better than GP32, but Pikmin is more fun than every exclusive Xbox title I've ever played.  However, playing Metal Slug, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country and all those other games more than makes up for it

I've had a GBA since launch and a flash card since soon after.  I got my GP32 aobut 3 days ago, from play-asia.com (awesome service BTW, I love that you can use paypal) and it has been GREAT.  I know GBA has better native games, but GP32 has a better comprehensive library of games.  Whoever said the Snes emu is not very compatible doesn't know what they are talking about.  3/3 games worked for me, Chrono Trigger, FFIII and Earthbound.  All with sound and saves, but sadly too slow.  Also, "Atari" isn't a system.  GBA can play 2600 games, but 32 can play Atari ST games.  That is a huge difference.  32 can probly emulate GBA to a certain degree, because of the similarity of processors, much like Cxbx being able to play games full speed (in the future) with only a 2GHz machine.

full

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2003, 06:36:00 AM »

Cxbx being able to play games full speed (in the future) with only a 2GHz machine.

I doubt that...
I think it can run xbox games in the future but i would say you need like 4Ghz to run xbgames...

kram

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2003, 09:15:00 AM »

I don't recommend anyone listening to CraiZE_, because the GP32 is the best handheld system ever.

CraiZE_

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2003, 10:29:00 AM »

sad.gif

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »

tongue.gif

"There is an addon coming out that will allow u to play vids you buy/download specificaly for the GBA. I don't think it'll work like the GP32, allowing you to play anything, or atleast work as well due to the slower processor of GBA "
Actually, this product (I am referring to the Pocket Pix) allows MP3 playing. It also gives you plus a codec to transcode other media formats, and play it on your GBA. You load the data onto an SD card, whichcan get upto 1GIG!: http://www.sandisk.c...sd512mb_1gb.htm
Not exactly like the GP32, but close enough.

-Bender

kram

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2003, 04:03:00 PM »

In an airplane, family roadtrips (as in your not driving), and, most importantly, on the shithole.

Mars10

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2003, 07:04:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

Bender_Unit_1

• Archived User
Gp32
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2003, 11:04:00 PM »

I don't see why it matters, but yes; I bought a GBA on its launch day, because I knew the potential it had. Also, realize that it's a handheld therefore, the screen will be small to fit the unit.
kram has listed some examples where you can use a handheld/portable music player. It's portable for one simple, logical reason: to take it with you. I don't find it necessary to broaden that, because I know you get the jist of that concept.
And you are correct, you can download GBA games for free. But, how portable is your desktop with the emulator on it? How portable is your XBOX with a GBA emu on it? Do happen to have a generator, and TV/monitor to carry with you to make them "portable," and take them with you on the go? How long would the batteries last on your laptop to play GBA games on the go? Could you carry any of those three (PC/laptop/XBOX) in your pocket easily? Should I bother to write these rhetorical questions anymore?

-Bender
Pages: 1 [2]