xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Rom Version Matters For Mame-x?.60 Or .61?  (Read 64 times)

Def

• Archived User
Rom Version Matters For Mame-x?.60 Or .61?
« on: August 30, 2002, 08:31:00 PM »

all of those could be memory issues. if you read the readme text file included with the mame b6, it'll tell ya that even though it says it can't find a file, it's because of memory issues. so until they figure a way to work around the memory issue, the more recent (and bigger) games just won't run.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2002, 10:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (jimmyc @ Aug 30 2002, 10:46 PM)
I have mame-x B6
I downloaded some .60 version of roms, about 250 of them.  But more than half is not working for me.  I know there are memory issues, but it seems like it is not the only problem.  Here are a few symptoms:

1) Sometimes I try to run a game, it will show it uncompress or something, then it would tell me missing file!  How could that me?  I have never altered any of the zip files.
2) Some games would show dark screen and freeze my xbox once I load them . Reboot is required after that.
3) Some games would tell me out of memory, I guess that is normal with x-box's memory inssue.

Can someone let know why it is?  Was it bad roms?  version .60 is not good?  It is quite annoying to figure out which roms work and reboot xbox every other game.  Thanks!

biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

You -MUST- fully merge your ROMS!!!!

The Xbox MAMEX does not extract roms that it needs from other zip files.

I had the same trouble you cite, until I figured this out.

In other words -ALL- of the require roms (including any bios ones) must be included in the zip file. To be safe you might need to even add the clones.

MameX will unzip what it needs, but only from one file.

Use CLRMame or Romcenter to do all the work for you.
Read the RomCenter docs for an explanation of merging and options.

juanxo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2002, 11:25:00 AM »

I usually press the D pad in circles and it speeds up the process.

I'm not sure if you have to press it in any particular direction. It seems to respond to direction changes.

Juanxo

Def

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2002, 12:36:00 PM »

pressing LEFT then RIGHT is equivalent to pressing "OK" for the message to go away.

jimmyc

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2002, 05:17:00 PM »

thanks about the tip of left and right to start.  It worked well.  I still haven't figured out of how to merge roms yet, although I d/l both software.  Don't really understand about the dat file.   But thanks for the good tip.  
I am going to try some 0.61 rom later, see if I got more compatibility.  

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2002, 07:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (jimmyc @ Sep 1 2002, 11:17 PM)
thanks about the tip of left and right to start.  It worked well.  I still haven't figured out of how to merge roms yet, although I d/l both software.  Don't really understand about the dat file.   But thanks for the good tip.  
I am going to try some 0.61 rom later, see if I got more compatibility.

wink.gif

The .DAT file is a file either produced by Mame (any of the PC versions will output a dat file) or downloaded from the CLRmame or Romcenter sites.

Both do the same thing. Basically they tell Romcenter which ROMS the particular version of Mame you are using, uses.

So if you are using MameX .61, you should also download and install Mame-32 .61 for the PC. Romcenter invokes the PC version to output a .dat file that in turn it reads in.

Once the dat file is loaded, you set the PATHS to your PC Mame roms and software. Romcenter then builds a list of roms you have, are missing, etc.

It will check them for consistency, errors, etc.

When you invoke the merge function (this is a little confusing, as to do more than one in Romcenter they must be multiply selected on the RIGHT HAND, not left hand, panel!) you should try to combine all related ROMS into a single zip file.

In effect you may have up to 30 games in a single zip. Normally this comprises the "original" master rom(s) and any and all that are clones (lookalikes) or rely on it.

You'll end up with far fewer zip files than before. Instead of 3300+ zip files you'll end up with under 1000 or so. But they will be much larger.

MameX "internally" knows which roms belong to which game, so it extracts what it needs for the game you have selected.

I'd recommend you start with a few roms and set things up on a CD-RW. You'll be able to erase the disk when you make mistakes.

Once you have things working, you can deal with moving things to the hard drive.

Hope this helps.