xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 1.6 Rebuild Pcb Vs Wire Rebuild  (Read 207 times)

.:Dino:.

• Archived User
1.6 Rebuild Pcb Vs Wire Rebuild
« on: February 03, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »

Hi im about to solder my first 1.6 and i was wondering wether to use the xecuter rebuild pcb or just use wire to rebuild the lpc. I was on the #teamxecuter irc channel and someone suggested that the pcb was cheap and unstable, and that was why the official xecuter guide used wires instead of a rebuild pcb. If i have the choice, which one should i go for? Thanks

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

I recommend using the rebuild PCB, because it's simple to solder in, and has a less chance of coming off than individual wires. I also think that the final product looks much better than a LPC rebuild with wires.

I believe that the Team Xecuter guide did not use the rebuild board because it had not been released at the time of the guide's publishing.

seriouslysilly

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

the PCB rebuild is definitely faster than wire rebuild.  However, if you have to troubleshoot because install didn't go right, it is a PIA to either get the PCB rebuild off or track where the problem lies

wire install is longer, but you can easily check individual wires.

personally, i just take the time and do the wire install.  never know when people will come back with probs and blame it on pcb.

ctgene

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 08:33:00 PM »

I like the wire rebuild for the same reasons expressed by seriouslysilly...if you ever have to remove the pcb board for any reason it is a PIA...I will only use the pcb board if I can't talk the customer out of it...if you end up using the pcb board a good tip is to solder in the required PH pins and pcb board pins at the same time...

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 02:59:00 AM »

I swear by the rebuild PCB's & have never had to remove one to date! 100+ installed.
Although i fully understand others reasons for preferring wires.

1st - i clean the whole LPC area with a fibreglass pencil

2nd - I put the pin header in place with pin 6 removed & secured with electrical tape

3rd - I put the rebuild PCB in position, aligned with all relevant points on the mobo. Secured with 2 small tabs of electrical tape

4th -  I get a straightened out paperclip and apply a small dab of flux to each point the rebuild has to connect to on the mobo.

5th - I solder each point i applied flux to then remove the securing tape from the PCB.

6th - I solder the pinheader pins and the rest of the PCB points to the pins.

7th - I also add a dab of solder to the PCB d0 point to make connecting the d0 wire a cinch

I also use lead/tin solder which i think makes soldering much simpler as the modern Lead free solder is just pants and creates boulders as it doesnt melt as easy as lead solder.

As i said above ive never had to remove a PCB to date & the chip always boots 1st time.
To me a little patience is the key.
Lead solder is being banned in July this year so i recommend stocking up on it as i have done!

HTH
Slim

.:Dino:.

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

thanks for all the nice replies, i think ill give the pcb a go anyways, ive got a fibreglass pencil and my soldering skills are pretty good, if it screws then...well it wont!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif) cheers.

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 03:29:00 AM »

If you dont have any lead/tin solder dino drop me a PM & ill post you enough to do an install.

Believe me it makes a massive difference to the install quality.

Slim

seriouslysilly

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 05:39:00 AM »

I use lead solder myself and have never tried the lead-free version (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
do you wear gloves and solder in a ventilated area when u use it?
I should be more careful when using it

i've never had a prob with PCBs.  It wasn't until I received a mobo with a PCB already installed from a customer that I had the experience of taking it out.  After that, I decided to just do the wire install and have kept a collection of these PCB  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 06:13:00 AM »

No i dont wear gloves. But i blow any fumes away from my face that come near.

Its not as if im using the stuff 8hrs a day in a factory, 2 or 3 times a week max for 15mins at most.

Slim

PS.Must visit docs for sommat fer me cough lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

slimgrip

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »

Did you get round to doing the LPC rebuild Dino?

How did it go?

Slim

TonyF11

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(.:Dino:. @ Feb 4 2006, 12:44 AM) *

Hi im about to solder my first 1.6 and i was wondering wether to use the xecuter rebuild pcb or just use wire to rebuild the lpc. I was on the #teamxecuter irc channel and someone suggested that the pcb was cheap and unstable, and that was why the official xecuter guide used wires instead of a rebuild pcb. If i have the choice, which one should i go for? Thanks

IMHO (Over 100 + Xboxes modded using all types of LPC rebuilds ) the Xecuter LPC rebuild is the way to go. Very well made and easy to install. Wires can be tricky if its ur first time. Use the supplied LPC PCB rebuild.

This post has been edited by TonyF11: Feb 9 2006, 01:15 AM