xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: (xbox) Kernel Compilers  (Read 71 times)

fadeaway

• Archived User
(xbox) Kernel Compilers
« on: October 30, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »

Bump! I have ALWAYS wanted to know the answer to this question.

HCl

• Archived User
(xbox) Kernel Compilers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 10:07:00 AM »

As far as i know they're just compiled using a standard x86 assembly compiler.

bigga

• Archived User
(xbox) Kernel Compilers
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 11:19:00 AM »

They are hacked versions of M$ bioses.  I think that the x2 bioses were based off dev kit bioses, and the Evox bioses were based of retail xbox bioses. M7 I think was 5101, and M8 one of the 1.6 bioses

alheim

• Archived User
(xbox) Kernel Compilers
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »

You're right.. The bios is implemented thanks to an x86 assembly language and C.

There's no reason to look into the MS code because all the access to the pci ports ide, and memory are standard with all the x86 plateform.

However there is an issue with the nvidia card which contains also the network chipset.

For that, some developers have reversed enginneered the nvidia driver and create a new one under GNU licence : forcedeth.

If you want more information, have a look at the cromwell distribution of Linux for xbox.

Hope this helps
alheim

heinrich

• Archived User
(xbox) Kernel Compilers
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »

QUOTE (atomiX @ Oct 31 2004, 04:09 PM)
i'm also wondering about homebrew bioses like the X2/X3 and IND-BIOS. how would they go about writing code while still keeping parts of the binary that is the MS bios (to control the hardware. i'm pretty sure these aren't written fully from scratch since they would be legal then so I assume they still contain MS code. any clarification on this would be appreciated also.

xecuter and ind-bios arent really "homebrew" imo, they are compiled from source, yes, but most of the code is MS's.

atomiX

• Archived User
(xbox) Kernel Compilers
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »

ok, thanks guys. my questions are pretty much all answered for now.