xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Insant Messenger For The Xbox  (Read 93 times)

AdmStng

• Archived User
Insant Messenger For The Xbox
« on: February 24, 2003, 11:06:00 AM »

sure, go ahead if ya can.. we need somthing new over here

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 11:07:00 AM »

And this is really a homebrew or development topic.

I'm moving this one to "development"

Please try and post in more appropriate forums from now on. Thank you.

kazcous

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 12:47:00 PM »

I know what you mean, that's why I though it could run on it own thread on XBMP (while listening to audio files or watching videos). Perhaps as an add-in module for XBMP (and use the XBMP base GUI as a framework to develop the IM on top)

I don't think it's feasible to run the IM on top of games or EMUs as I think there can't be two different executables (xbe) running at the same time (not 100% sure).

I think there's already a project that aims to build a web browser for xbox, so I thought that area was already being developed by others. In the other hand, the e-mail client is a good idea and it surprises me that there's no one actively working on that kind of proyect (as it shouldn't be "so" difficult to develop).

Thanks for the feedback !

IlIkEdEmBoObz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »

what's a "IM"

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »

instant messenger

Schmo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (Trancer @ Feb 24 2003, 09:44 PM)
So the controller would be the only way of typing into the IM app.

laugh.gif That would last for about 30 seconds until I threw the controller and the XBOX out the window.

rjm2k

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 02:15:00 PM »

hehe.. strange.. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a messenger prog on the xbox today. It would be cool to have msn messenger on the xbox... very cool indeed.. and im sure others will agree and find it useful kazcous.

As of yet there is no keyboard or keyboard mod for the xbox I believe... So the controller would be the only way of typing into the IM app.

But go for it man.. if you can do it.. interesting stuff. smile.gif

Erm, the keyboard mod has been around for a long time.

Trancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 02:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (rjm2k @ Feb 24 2003, 10:15 PM)
hehe.. strange.. I was thinking how cool it would be to have a messenger prog on the xbox today. It would be cool to have msn messenger on the xbox... very cool indeed.. and im sure others will agree and find it useful kazcous.

As of yet there is no keyboard or keyboard mod for the xbox I believe... So the controller would be the only way of typing into the IM app.

But go for it man.. if you can do it.. interesting stuff. smile.gif

Erm, the keyboard mod has been around for a long time.

it has?.. opps my bad. smile.gif.. hmm thats cool

yeah it would piss me off after a while aswell Schmo.. wink.gif.. but it would be a good place to start

Xaddict2k2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2003, 02:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (IlIkEdEmBoObz @ Feb 24 2003, 09:08 PM)
what's a "IM"

Dude have you been living in the stone age? Im just kidddin dogg, im not a flamer.
beerchug.gif

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2003, 04:09:00 PM »

Theres actually one of these in Development that I'm the project leader of(XIM - Xbox instant Messenger), but its kindof at a standstill right now, due to development on a top-secret project by the XIM team coming to a halt because of a leak in information to the XBMP Team.

If you want to develop one though, go ahead, if its good we'll just release the other project which promises to be alot more interesting, especially to developers, then an IM client.

rjm2k

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 03:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (kazcous @ Feb 25 2003, 02:35 AM)
Well, the thing about the keyboard is that i don't know for sure if we can use it with the XDK ...
There's linux support for both keyboard and mice .. but in the MS XDK ? if someone knows, please tell me ..  uhh.gif

about the project, I think this could be interesting to develop as i always wanted to create a jabber client to operate with others IMs ... but is always nice to see other proyects aiming the same objective ... ( XIM )

and .. writing messages with the xbox controller can turn into something really annoying ...  dry.gif

well, i will wait a liitle longer to be able to retrieve more feedback from you !  beerchug.gif

The XDK supports a "debug keyboard", which is basically a usb keyboard.  Evox uses it.

spants

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2003, 11:35:00 AM »

can someone please look at porting PERL to xbox - there are many IM modules and IM robot modules available....

...Nope I can't do it either!

Nailed

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2003, 03:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (xMonoxide187x @ Feb 25 2003, 12:09 AM)
Theres actually one of these in Development that I'm the project leader of(XIM - Xbox instant Messenger), but its kindof at a standstill right now, due to development on a top-secret project by the XIM team coming to a halt because of a leak in information to the XBMP Team.

If you want to develop one though, go ahead, if its good we'll just release the other project which promises to be alot more interesting, especially to developers, then an IM client.

You're so full of BS its probably coming out your ears.  Top-secret...  laugh.gif

xMonoxide187x

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2003, 12:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (Nailed @ Mar 6 2003, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (xMonoxide187x @ Feb 25 2003, 12:09 AM)

You're so full of BS its probably coming out your ears.  Top-secret...  laugh.gif

You'll see when it hits, or when the source is released to another team. We havn't decided if we're gonna keep working on it or just pass the work we have on, since everyone has been really busy lately. I'm seriously not allowed to say anything, I just make the graphics and kinda organize things a bit. If you want the info, you'd have to go to the core of the team.

It is real, and it should be cool if it indeed is ever finished. If it isn't, the sources will be released or passed on to someone who wants to finish it. All I can say is it has to do with Development and not any IM or web-based or application crap.

Nailed

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 09:37:00 AM »

muhaha.gif