xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xubuntu For The Xbox  (Read 1034 times)

Spc 4

• Archived User
Xubuntu For The Xbox
« on: February 21, 2013, 04:51:00 PM »

I did not see this on here so I figured I would share it.

Synthetyc_Syn:
Xubuntu for the Xbox

This is a file download for Xubuntu, which is Ubuntu created for the Xbox. I primarily use Ubuntu on my PC at home and is my OS system of choice. I also use windows 7, but I primarily use windows 7 when I am networking my Xbox.

Xubuntu basically turns your Xbox into a PC with a powerful operating system. I consider myself a Linux user more so than a windows user, so when I discovered you could install Ubuntu on an Xbox, I was all over it!

You can either run this ISO from cd-r on your Xbox or you can FTP it to your hard drive. One drawback to the OS is you have to have a keyboard and mouse hooked up to your Xbox in order to use it. The OS is not compatible with an Xbox controller, but well worth it to splice and solder some wires together to make your own Xbox keyboard and mouse to use it. Enjoy.
Mouse and keyboard required, tested and confirmed working with certain wireless keyboards and mouses. If you FTP'd the files and you get a "Kernel Panic: Attempted to kill init" error, try burning it to a CD instead.
- Username: live
- Password: live

http://www.theisozon...r-the-xbox-usa/

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Xubuntu For The Xbox
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

One of the main issues I have with running these Linux distros on an Xbox is the horrible look of them on a TV (@SD resolutions). They all look like crap. Some text is difficult to read and they have almost no real working space because program windows have to be BIG (so we can read the text in them).

Now I have tried GentooX on my VGA Xbox setup, but trying to get a 720p picture was a nightmare. I never did succeed (green screen), so I gave up all together.

Does this distro play nice with VGA Xbox setups? If I could run it a higher resolution, it might actually be practical, and I might actually be able to accomplish something using it.

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Xubuntu For The Xbox
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »

Nope. Just tried it.
Green tint picture on v1.4 (Focus) Xbox w/ X2 5035 VGA bios on VGA monitor.
Won't fully boot on v1.1 (Conexant) Xbox w/ X2 5035 VGA bios on VGA monitor.