xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: 2.6.29 Kernel  (Read 466 times)

sender604

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« on: July 08, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »

HI all

looks like lalee may release his 2.6.29 kernel which could probably be used to update xebian to Lenny (please anyone)

http://www.not404.com/2011/01/16/linux-on-...ative-platforms

to the people who are trying to keep xbox linux alive you are heroes of the highest order keep going we all applaud thee

luther349

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »

the kernel is one step 1 of like 40. everything else needs updating to fatx video drivers etc. you can keep patching the broken fatx in 2,6 all you liek its still broken your still using a very old xorg and and alisa and cant run on non cromwell boxes.

lalee

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jul 12 2011, 06:58 PM) View Post

the kernel is one step 1 of like 40. everything else needs updating to fatx video drivers etc. you can keep patching the broken fatx in 2,6 all you liek its still broken your still using a very old xorg and and alisa and cant run on non cromwell boxes.

An Xbox-Native Linux + Xbox-Native installer (Xebian, GentooX, etc) will probably take some serious effort.

To get any "standard" 2.6-based Linux running on an Xbox, however, your best bet is to do a "Cross-Installation" -- drop the hard drive into a real PC, perform the installation there, boot into the installed Linux, and (finally) install the Xbox-Linux kernel into /boot and create a suitable linux boot menu for Cromwell/Xromwell. Once that's done, drop the hard drive into your Xbox and cross your fingers.

Modern 2.6 distributions are usually configured with a small (100 Megs or so) /boot partition formatted as ext2 for maximum compatibility (Cromwell/Xromwell see ext2 just fine).  The main Linux Root partition can be formatted in the filesystem of your choice as long as your kernel (and initrd) have support for that filesystem. I used to use ext3fs for XFedora.

ALSA should work fine, though you'll probably need to pass a module option to the sound driver to get it into the correct mode. 'Same as always.

Xorg will probably run if you configure it to use a FrameBuffer driver such as vesafb. If you're serious about doing Native 3D, have a look at the nvidia driver in xorg -- it's much improved over what we had 5 years ago, and may be a better candidate for patching into supporting the Xbox GPU than what we had back then.

FatX.. is definitely in need of a rewrite.  The Linux Kernel unified the msdos/fat drivers, in a way that begs for someone to jump in and add an extension driver to handle FatX. It's not impossible do do -- just a lot of painfully tedious work and research on information that isn't documented anywhere except "in the code".

The best bet to get a working FATX driver running for 2.6 is to grab Xbox-Linux source at the 2.4 level, and reverse-engineer (diff-compare and document) the FATX extensions.  If I recall, everything about FATX is in the /fs/fatx directory, and they have equivalents in /fs/fat or /fs/msdos.

The closer you can get to Gimli's first working FATX driver checkin, compared against the Linux Kernel version that he based those files upon would be ideal, as that's the minimum set of changes. As the Linux Kernel revisions go higher, the FATX driver (being 'frozen') lags behind, and ends up picking up more diffs against /fs/msdos and /fs/fat that really came from the Linux Upstream.

The original FATX driver was literally just variable and constant name changes to avoid naming collisions when compiling the kernel. Beyond that, it was a handful of hooks when FATX "Magic Constants" are found.

-Lalee

worldwhore3

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »

can we please just stop talking about this f'kn crap?

lames: it's not going to happen.  stop posting about it.

lames: if you don't program, stop asking for people to get to work for you out there.  it's not going to happen.

sender604

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »

Well thank you very much for the eloquent comments, you appear to have clarified the situation quite succinctly

Apparently if one knows little or nothing about a subject one shouldn't ask anything, how then does one acquire knowledge?

would it of not have been better or even polite to state that there are currently no developers of linux for the xbox but if one were to attempt this extremely arduous and often thankless task you would have recommend reading the following ................(please feel free to add some links) which would tell me if I have any realistic prospect  of attaining this goal.

worldwhore3

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »

i would recommend you do a frickin search about the kernel you wish would happen and find out that way how many times people have asked about it and then been educated that it is not going to happen for several listed reasons.

noone is actively "keeping xdsl alive," so there are no "heroes,"

noone here knows anything about making it happen.  all we know is that it is not possible.  you will find the reasons why in this forum.  noone cares anymore.  if people did care, then we would have an active repo & at least an updated rebuild of xdsl for new users to start with.  a rebuild which would include built in hardcoded repos and possibly all of the known updates ready to go, maybe even new directions, easy to find with a few jpg's or so to document on how to fix your screen overscan.

however, it's not going to happen.  there really should be a sticky about asking for a new kernel, but since NOONE CARES in here, we won't get that either, and as such we will have a lot of empty, lame chat about "wishing" for a new kernel.

Master13

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »

luther349

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

yea that is the point hear we need to pretty much trash everything from the older patches and start over meaning you need to keno both the xbox hardware and have linux programing ability. but everyone hear goes oh i made kernel 2.6x boot will yay for you.

as for the video driver the xbox uses some odd form of tv out and xorg crashes if you don't patch it. even for framebuffer. and with the nevu driver replacing all the old kernels the video driver from the old patches is now totaly useless.

megapapo

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »

Hello

QUOTE(luther349 @ Jul 13 2011, 06:58 AM) View Post

you can keep patching the broken fatx in 2,6 all you liek its still broken

I am wondering about what exactly is broken in the 2.6 implementation of FATX. It is obvious to me and clear from the commit log that the implementation in Lalee's git repo broke some time ago, but all postings I came across suggest to take the 2.4 FATX and port it, instead of starting from a working 2.6 FATX patch. I did the latter and am wondering now whether this was a mistake of some sort...

Regards

Matt

NobodyHere

• Archived User
2.6.29 Kernel
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »

I second that this should just be let go. There's maybe five people who are still interested in using Linux on the extremely dated Xbox 1 console.

At this point I believe they should just continue using it as is. Since the only person really qualified to creating an updated kernel for Xbox (Lalee) is moving on, I don't see any point harping on about how 'cool' it would be.

The only saving grace I could see is if, because of the Xbox360, someone actually develops an updated, and working FatX.

If the 360 dev working on the Fatx support ever succeeds (mentioned in another thread here), maybe then, and only then, should the question be revisited for the original Xbox.