xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: .packages....  (Read 91 times)

osmorphyus

• Archived User
.packages....
« on: September 12, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »

if you're talking about the built-in virtual keyboard - yes - it is *broken*

i noticed this as well.  you try to type, and it steals focus, and nothing is enetered when it comes to your text.

best bet with this build of dsl, get a USB keyboard, and make a USB/xbox adapter, which is very simple to do.  the older versions of dsl have a great virtual keyboard.  i dont know why this one sucks so bad.

linux is a neat system once you have it going.  i am using it to download video/audio files directly to my box.  i then transfer them to my xbox partitions to run them thru XBMC.  im still working on getting torrents to download *directly* into my xbox partitions.  its really the only reason to use linux on the box, in my opinion.

i do like the dillo browser, its very fast, but not good for logging into gmail.  firefox is great on it tho.  opera works well, too.  stay away from loading flash into it, because the box is limited to 64megs of ram.  keep it simple.  thats just a personal tip.

as far as unpacking/unzipping files goes, this will take some getting used to.  the method i use is:
enter emelfn as root user,  browse to where your packages are downloaded to, which is usually dsl/home/  from here, you can right click (click with button "B").  select the option 'operations' i believe it is, from there it will give an unpack option.

i am not on my box right now, so this might be slightly off.  if it is, i will check it out, and actually reply from linux on my xbox.  right now, the boy is playing halo 2 on it.  biggrin.gif

p.s.  
on this .package stuff, i dont know if you're tralking about archives (zip, etc) or what.  i am referring to unpacking archive files.

osmorphyus

• Archived User
.packages....
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »

well, i figured that.

is this file type an archive or what?

on the windows OS, which i am sure you are familiar with, there are no .package file types.

downoading programs for linux can be done thru the built in file download manager.  it will download and install automatically.  it will show you all of the files currently supported and available from the relevant linux repository.

downloading your own programs, packages, whatever will probably require support from where you found said file.  thru using linux, i am finding that programs are compiled for the linux distro they are designed for, and have instructions on how to install them on that system.

the linux guru, however, i am not.  i help where i can, with what i know.

further, i should have asked to begin with:
what program/package are you talking about?  simply telling us youre having troubles installing a program leads us all nowhere.  give us some more info on what youre trying to install.  program, where its from, etc.

_XxRaVeNxX_

• Archived User
.packages....
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 04:24:00 AM »

Yep...trying to install...

http://yabause.org/download/