xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Live Cd With Distcc Support  (Read 226 times)

lusken

• Archived User
Live Cd With Distcc Support
« on: March 05, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »

bump

btw! how long should I wait before I bump?

lusken

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 12:29:00 PM »

bump

pimpkid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

Here's a bump to see if anyone out there has a solution. If not a livecd, then at least a minimal install that would get distcc up and running for use by other pc's/xboxes.

pimpkid

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

I think what he (and I) are after is the ability to just pop in a cd and boot (a modded) xbox up and have it participate in a distcc farm as a node, with a little configuration but zero install time.

This exists in the normal x86 world, as the knoppix livecd demonstrates.  

If I get smart enough to build my own livecd, this would definately be something I would create, until then, I'll just ftp over my gentoox build that has distcc working.  Only disadvantage to this is the transfer time to send 5gb worth of files to an xbox, as well as the hd space it would consume on said xbox (I'm mostly using other people's xboxes that they give to me to modify, so when I give them back their newly modded xboxes they need to be linux free).

chimpanzee

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »

cromwell can boot from DVD, in fact it can even etherboot. Just start a BOOTP/tftp/nfs server with a rootfs which has distcc.

Just find a game save exploit and replace it with xromwell, trigger and etherboot.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 05:58:00 PM »

i think gentoox still has mosix support i requested it some time ago and he added it. and if you whant to build a live cd using gentoox it shouldent be hard being all the sources are avable. i dont rember if shallax droped mosix or not but you can ask him if he did he probly would put it back in if you ask.

i used it to cluster my 3 pcs together for fun lol linux was never so fast lol.