xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hdd Is Locked, But I Have Pw And Eeprom.bin  (Read 126 times)

chimpanzee

• Archived User
Hdd Is Locked, But I Have Pw And Eeprom.bin
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »

If you use the linux tools to lock it, I am almost 100% sure the security level is set to "high" instead of "maximum" and there is a master password "XBOXSCENE" set and I believe there is a log too. Have you kept this ?

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004, 11:53:00 PM »

only the bios in ram changes it's (shatowed)
from the orignal M$ bios that loaded at startup
before UDE takes over

error 6 is becouse it locked with a password different from what it expected

Hard Drive Locking: Why you can’t drop just any drive in that box.
The xbox has a small chip called the EEPROM this chip hold 256 bytes which includes important non-box specific information. This includes the xbox live key, xbox region and, most importantly, the Unique HDD key (32 chr). Upon booting, this key goes through a mathematical equation with HDD-specific information; the result is the HDD password (40 chr). This password is used to unlock the hard drive, allowing the HDD to be accessed. If the drive cannot be unlocked you will get error 6(for wrong password) and 5 (for not locked).

Kongqueror

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »

Oh shit, that's what I must have done, locked it with some other password.  That's quite dangerous then.  I thought until now that it locks the drive with the password that the hddkey generates.

Ahhh! it all makes sense now.  The xboxhdm tool only generates the proper key for you and you have to enter it exactly so that the xbox can unlock it properly, cos it will pass it that same code.

Bloody hell, my bad.
Pages: 1 [2]