xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best Of Both Worlds - Running Fonts & Audio  (Read 604 times)

mkjones

• Archived User
Best Of Both Worlds - Running Fonts & Audio
« on: March 30, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »

smile.gif

Before you start
If you are a noob, and want to know what the 2 exploits ARE and how they work, read this:
What are the Font and Audio Exploits?
Its a little bit of text I wrote to get you started...
AND, take a look at:
Checklists For Fonts/audio Exploits
Another cool guide with some info so you dont mess up..

WARNING!
Changing the files on your Xbox hard drive is dangerous and in some cases could lead to you totally messing up your games console, leaving you with a large unattractive paperweight!! Make sure you know what you are doing before attempting any of the following.

Ensure to back up your entire C drive as soon as you get FTP access to your xbox. Back it up to your PCs hard drive AND a CDROM just in case. You may need it at some point to "re-virginize" your xbox

What will I need?
- Mechassault/007 Agent Under Fire ORIGINAL Games.
- A Memory card with the hacked game save, this can also be done using a Hard Drive hot swap.
- Morden's Audio Package Files (v3)
- Catfish MA Fonts
- My Modified "Font Swapper" Action Script
- Dashboard version 4920

What will this do?
It will install Mordens Audio package and then use a script that allows you to enable-disable the wonderful Catfish-MA fonts. This will change then your xboxs "XBOX LIVE" Tab to say "PHOENIX" once selected this will Run MXM from Mordens package.

Once installed you will need to upload an MXM script that will enable-disable the fonts/audio.

Why use Morden's?
Because its great, its clean, simple and works! I have tried other "installers" but none work as flawlessly as this one. Catfish did a good job with his, but I wasn’t a fan, it took me a long while to get all the files together and in the end I gave up and did this smile.gif

So how does it work?
Once the Fonts are enabled the tab will say "PHOENIX" and you will be able to use Ripped Audio, also the activation is a simple one button press smile.gif

Once the Fonts are disabled the tab will return to the original Xbox-live, but and you will NOT be able to use Ripped Audio etc. To enable the hack you need to do a key combo on your game pad that basically tries to copy a hacked Audio Soundtrack.

Why should I do this?
Because its the "Best of Both worlds".

What do you mean?
I mean, the Audio package is great! But ripping audio and custom soundtracks are a pain! Even with Mordens hard work. Also, it hurts your fingers having to do the button presses every time..

The Fonts too are amazing, the Xbox Linux team really had a smart idea by replacing the "XBOX LIVE" tab. But the Clock Loop can still rear its ugly head! If you ever want to move house or unplug your Xbox for a few hours then its just SAFER to switch them off smile.gif Also, you may want to use XBOX LIVE someday wink.gif and there are ways around the dreaded "Dash Upgrade"

Also, you don't HAVE to do this, if you want safety then stick with Morden's Audio Hack, its great. But some people just want a little more.

OK, Getting started.

First step, the FILES!
Before you start read THIS and learn how to use xbins. Its basically an IRC channel/FTP site that has all the goods. You will need to go there to get Morden's Audio Hack v3.

For information how to use Xbins click see this page:
- http://www.xbox-scen...icles/xbins.php

The other files you need are the Catfish Fonts, these can be downloaded from:
- http://forums.maxcon...12183#post12183
see the post by Catfish at 02-04-2004 11:46 AM
EDIT: Big thanks to Catfish for modding his fonts to make this a lot easier
NOTE: This file also includes a new more stable ST.DB file, if you wish to use it simply upload it to your xbox overwriting the origional one from Mordens package, more about this later...

AND, finally, the Font-Swapper actionscript, this can be found:
- http://www.mkjones.c...fontswapper.zip

I will also post this as a message on the forum so you can simply copy/paste into notepad and save as an *.xas file.

Once you have Morden's Package you need to get it onto your Xbox and Run it from either MechAssault OR 007:AUF.

Getting the hacked gamesave onto your Xbox.
This can be done using a memory card and some kind of "Action Reply" device, this is a device that lets your PC read Xbox memory cards.

It can also be done with a "HOT SWAP" of your Xbox hard drive, basically placing your Xbox HD on your PC for a shot time so you can copy the files.

Here are some tutorials to help with creating an Action Reply device:
- http://forums.xbox-s...showtopic=79198
- http://www.llamma.co...usb_adapter.htm
- http://www.xbox-emul...oller-Mod.shtml

And some for Hot Swapping:
- http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=45&t=143288
- http://forums.xbox-s...ST&f=45&t=73720 (Ignore the install evox part in this one)

Personally I made a USB-Xbox cable for my PC, it was simple. Read the thread about it here. It allows me to use my controller on my PC AND Copy gamesaves that I download.

Once the GameSave is on your Xbox its as simple as:

- Loads Mechassault/007
- Select the gamesave from the menu
- MXM will load!

BACK UP YOUR C DRIVE
Now you have FTP access to your Xbox back up your entire C drive. Back it up to your PCs hard drive AND a CDROM just in case. You may need it at some point to "re-virginize" your xbox

!DO NOT MISS OUT THIS STEP!
!NO REALLY - DO NOT MISS OUT THIS STEP!
!It has got ME out of a few problem situations in the past!

Installing Morden's Audio Package v3
Again, this is simple. With MXM running, press B to go to the "Audio Package" menu and select "Install Audio Package" that is that, done smile.gif

BUT, in this case, we need to do a little more don't turn off your Xbox just yet!

Uploading/Installing the fonts
First of all unzip the Fonts.zip file you downloaded before. You should have 2 files. bert.xtf and ernie.xtf smile.gif ernie is quite fat at 15mb!

NOW! Rename both fonts to bert.bak and ernie.bak wink.gif

We then need to FTP these files to your xbox smile.gif

If MXM is running, you should have FTP access to your xbox. Again there are a number of ways to do this, basically you need your PC connected to your xbox in some way.

If you need to know how to get FTP access here are some tutorials:
- http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=183856
- http://www.lanceande..._xbox_guide.pdf (Same as the other but in PDF)

You can FTP to your xbox using its IP address and "xbox" as username and password.

Once you have this sorted, FTP the 2 font files to the "Fonts" folder in the "C" drive of your xbox, it SHOULD already have 2 files named "Xbox.xtf" and "Xbox Book.xtf" inside, do NOT rename these, in fact, don't touch them at all smile.gif

Now, this next part is VERY IMPORTANT!

Here we are going to COPY the P.xbe file in E:\PBL and rename it to simply "P" with NO FILE EXTENTION.

To do this, download the P.xbe file to your PCs hard drive, rename it, then upload it BACK to the E drive.

NOTE: At this point you can upload the more stable ST.DB file from the Catfish file merge.zip that we downloaded before. To instal this upload it to: E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db overwriting the ST.DB already in place. Note that if you DO this, you will no longer NEED the P.xbe file, HOWEVER I suggest you keep it in place for safetly.

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO DO THIS?
This becuase this is the file the FONTS will boot from smile.gif

ALSO, while you are at it, you could speed up the way PBL loads, have a read of this thread:
http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=192890

OK, time to ensure you have done the following:

- Installed Morden's Audio Hack v3
- FTPed the bert.bak and ernie.bak catfish fonts to c:\fonts on your Xbox
- Copied the P.xbe and renamed it to "P" with no file extention smile.gif

Now, reboot and ensure the audio hack is properly installed and working. To do this go through this process:
- Boot Xbox without any CD in the DVD Drive.
- Select Music
- Hit Down-A-DOWN-A-Right-Right-A-A-A
- MXM should boot.

If not! Doh! you failed, try re-installing the audio hack, if it worked smile.gif great!

Now, you have FTP access as long as MXM is running. Connect to your box, using the IP address and "xbox" as username and password.

Installing the "Font Swapper" actionscript
- Unzip the fontswapper.zip file
- Make a folder on your xbox in the folder e:\mxm\ called "scripts"
- Now, upload the FontSwapper.xas file to this new folder
- You should now have FontSwapper.xas in the folder e:\mxm\scripts on your xbox

NEXT! - Modding your menu.xml file smile.gif
MXM uses XML for its menu system, if you would like to know more about this check the MXM forum it is full of excellent information.

In the MXM folder of Morden's you should find a file called menu.xml, open it in notepad smile.gif

Now copy this code into it:

<item>
     <title>Font Hack Switch</title>
     <action>Callfile e:\MXM\Scripts\FontSwapper.xas</action> 
  </item>

Then save the file and upload this to your xbox, overwriting the OLD version. Now, press Y in MXM, select "Reset menu cash" and then re-boot MXM.

Running the script
Now simply select the "Font Hack Switch" option in your MXM menu.

Once this is loaded it should tell you if your fonts are disabled or enabled smile.gif they should be "DISABLED"

To enable or disable them simply follow the options on screen smile.gif

Its all working
Once you have them enabled, re-boot the xbox, and "XBOX LIVE" should say "PHOENIX" you should also be able to rip audio and do all the things a standard Xbox can do except for select XBOX LIVE.

To run MXM select PHEONIX press A and smile smile.gif

Now....
If you want to take your Xbox on holiday, i.e. it will be "without power" for a good few hours, then ENABLE the audio hack until you arrive and have power again.

No more worries about the clock loop.
No more hassle with the GameStub.
Less tired fingers for gaming smile.gif

Hope this helped some people. If it didn't, sorry sad.gif

mkjones

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »

This is the FontSwapper file if you want to copy and paste into notepad:

;#####################################
;#  Font Swapper  (exploit)
;#  Version 1.0
;#  Use at your OWN risk
;#  Author:deflux - "Modded by mkjones March 2004"
;#  Date: 10-27-2003
;#  Purpose: Fonthack renamer so you can take your xbox to a friends
;#  Misc:tested on my 1.1, gives some sort of swapping,
;#        will chk for both fonts being renamed in later ver
;######################################

SETFUNC Fontstatus FILESIZE c:\fonts\bert.xtf
SETFUNC Fontstatus1 FILESIZE c:\fonts\bert.bak

If %Fontstatus% != "0" GOTO a1
If %Fontstatus% == "0" GOTO a2
Quit
:a1
SET Fontstat Enabled
GOTO Start
:a2
SET Fontstat Disabled
GOTO Start

:Start 
BeginDraw UseCurrent
  MessageBox "FontHack Status: %Fontstat% $eol$Press B to Cancel$eol$Press X To Turn OFF$eol$Press Y To Turn ON"
EndDraw

Input
If %_GP_B% == "1" GOTO Cancel
If %_GP_X% == "1" GOTO Swap
If %_GP_Y% == "1" GOTO Turnon
Quit

:Cancel
BeginDraw UseCurrent
MessageBox " FontHack Status: %Fontstat% "
EndDraw
Delay 2
Quit

:Swap
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.bak"     "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.xtf"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.bak"  "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.xtf"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\bert.xtf"     "c:\\fonts\\bert.bak"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\ernie.xtf"     "c:\\fonts\\ernie.bak"

RENAME E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.or
COPY E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.hk E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db

BeginDraw UseCurrent
MessageBox " Font Hack Disabled "
EndDraw
Delay 2
Quit

:Turnon
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.xtf"     "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.bak"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.xtf"  "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.bak"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\bert.bak"     "c:\\fonts\\bert.xtf"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\ernie.bak"     "c:\\fonts\\ernie.xtf"

delete E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db
RENAME E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.or E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db

BeginDraw UseCurrent
MessageBox " Font Hack Enabled "
EndDraw
Delay 2
Quit

gamera

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

When i enable the fonts in mxm it says something like"failed call actionscript error line 1".Then when i click on the pheonix tab it just goes back to the xbox dash. can i see how your menu.xml looks like. really want to get this working been waitin for something like this. Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by gamera: Mar 30 2004, 11:50 PM

SupremeHolyness

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »

samething happened to me! help us out.

digisatman

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »

wink.gif

digisatman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 10:08:00 PM »

what are the catfish fonts?

are they mech fonts?

which are better?

many thanks

mkjones

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 10:34:00 PM »

When i enable the fonts in mxm it says something like"failed call actionscript error line 1".Then when i click on the pheonix tab it just goes back to the xbox dash. can i see how your menu.xml looks like. really want to get this working been waitin for something like this. Thanks in advance.

Did you copy and re-name the Fonts to .bak before you uploaded them? And did you copy and rename the PBL folder?

samething happened to me! help us out.

What happend?? I need some feedback to improve my tutorial in any way smile.gif

cant sum1 make a package wink.gif

Sorry, the Fonts are too big! At 15mb uncompressed they will not fit onto a memory card sad.gif

what are the catfish fonts?

are they mech fonts?

which are better?

YES, they are the MA fonts but modded by Catfish...

Has anyone got this running?
I know from experience that its always different for some people  blink.gif

mkjones

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 10:53:00 PM »

SETFUNC Fontstatus FILESIZE c:\fonts\bert.xtf
SETFUNC Fontstatus1 FILESIZE c:\fonts\bert.bak

This looks to see if you have the bert.bak or bert.xtf file in your fonts folder.

If you have bert.bak then the fonts are "DISSABLED" so when you upload the files as .bak  files and then run the script it will say it is "DISSABLED"

Turning on the fonts:

:Turnon
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.xtf"  "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.bak"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.xtf"  "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.bak"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\bert.bak"  "c:\\fonts\\bert.xtf"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\ernie.bak"  "c:\\fonts\\ernie.xtf"

delete E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db
RENAME E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.or E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db

The code above renames your hacked fonts to .xtf files and your origional fonts to .bak this enables the font hack and changes "XBOX LIVE" to "PHEONIX"

Also it deletes your ST.DB file, this should be your hacked one from Morden. It then renames your ORIGIONAL audio file to ST.DB this gives you back your soundtracks etc.

Turning off the fonts:

:Swap
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.bak"  "c:\\fonts\\Xbox.xtf"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.bak"  "c:\\fonts\\Xbox Book.xtf"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\bert.xtf"  "c:\\fonts\\bert.bak"
Rename "c:\\fonts\\ernie.xtf"  "c:\\fonts\\ernie.bak"

RENAME E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.or
COPY E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.hk E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\st.db

The fonts are again re-named, back to their origional states, this gives you back your VIRGIN xbox Dash smile.gif

It also renames your ST.DB to back it up for when you turn the fonts back ON and it re-installed the hacked .DB file from Mordens.

If you have script problems

Look in these folders:

c:\fonts\
and
E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\

And make sure the correct font and audio files are their with there correct filenames.
Remember if the fonts are OFF they will be named bert.bak and ernie.bak and if the audio hack is on you will have 3 files in your music directory: ST.DB, ST.HK and ST.OR.

When the fonts are ON you will have bert.xtf and ernie.xtf in your fonts folder and ST.DB and ST.HK in your music folder.

Now, it was pretty late when I wrote this  cool.gif  so any feedback would be great.

REMEMBER
You can always just FTP in and delete the bert and ernie fonts if you have any problems.

Also, if you wanna be safe back up your E:\Tdata\fffe0000\music\ folder before you enable the fonts, this means you can just FTP this back in to make Mordens work as normal smile.gif

Mate98

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 11:34:00 PM »

u can still make a package just make an e folder and a c folder as most of us already hav ftp access and for those who dont mech, splinter, auf will do it.
good job by the way

u know what would be the best of both worlds and i know it cant be done,
if u power the xbox  on from the eject button it boots up the font exploit that way  can put ur unsign disc in no dity disc error.
if u use the power button to boot up it does it the audio way that way u can go on live.

P.S i know this cant b done just sayying it would b cool

mkjones

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 11:09:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mate98 @ Mar 31 2004, 08:58 AM)
u can still make a package just make an e folder and a c folder as most of us already hav ftp access and for those who dont mech, splinter, auf will do it.
good job by the way

u know what would be the best of both worlds and i know it cant be done,
if u power the xbox  on from the eject button it boots up the font exploit that way  can put ur unsign disc in no dity disc error.
if u use the power button to boot up it does it the audio way that way u can go on live.

P.S i know this cant b done just sayying it would b cool

good job by the way

Well, to me a "Package" is something that is a little easier to instal!

I guess I could create a C and E folder and Zip them up, as long as Morden and Catfish are ok with it..

We will see I suppose  beerchug.gif

dropek

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 04:17:00 AM »

so with this you dont get any of the clock loop errors or any other? can u leave it unplugged for any periiod of time? can u eject with this and play backups from a dvd?

mkjones

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2004, 04:05:00 AM »

so with this you dont get any of the clock loop errors or any other?

No, its %100 safe as long as you turn off the fonts when you feel the need to unplug your xbox from the mains. Or if you want to use xbox live.

Now, small problem is people seem to be getting banned from live with larger HDs so M$ could be scanning HDs, but we arnt sure yet.

can u leave it unplugged for any periiod of time? 

YES! As long as you go into the menu and disable the fonts. Then once plugged back in, re-enable the fonts smile.gif

can u eject with this and play backups from a dvd?

You can do anything you like! Anything any normal exploit can do.

Wooger

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2004, 08:56:00 AM »

So what your saying is that everytime before you power off you will take and click the "change" button on a dashboard to change from the fonts hack to an audio hack... then the next time you use it the very first time you boot the audio hack youll click the "change" again to put the font hack back into place?

Im assuming you would only do this of course for transport reasons, otherwise it seems like ALOT of work.

Wooger

BluhDeBluh

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »

I have something similar to this using Mordens v1 and the MechInstaller Feenix Fonts in EvoX and it works great. I also have a "Turn off both" feature which sets the Xbox back to retail. I don't need to use it though as the Fonts get out first time on my machine... but it's there and useful.

old engineer

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

Is it possible to use or convert your script/installer to work with Mordens 1.2?

...Basically I prefer EvoX, so if theres another workaround to keep this I would be interested.

:beer:  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4