xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Modchip Won't Boot  (Read 239 times)

cupoange

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« on: September 28, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »

what happened is i have a chameleon modchip and a solderless adapter.  xbox worked fine for over a year.  now i read that some new games that have xbox live update feature have caused problems.  i don't have xbox live account but i do have my xbox connected to my router all the time because i ftp to it often.  i recently backed up burnout3 and star wars battleground (both games i've read have caused problems), and all the sudden my xbox won't boot, but it wasn't right after i backed them up, i had been playing for about a week and then just all the sudden one day it doesn't work.  i get an error 13.  this happened about a week ago.  i messed around for a long time, and somehow i was able to boot to a disc and i reformatted the harddrive (120g WD) and started putting all my saved files back on.  it's worked fine for a week, and i couldn't figure out why it wasn't working before.  well now all the sudden it is doing the same thing (i had since reloaded on burnout3 and played about 25% of the game).  i can put in the original HDD and boot to the original MSDASH, but if i try to put in a boot disc (same one that has worked many times before) it won't read it.  if i put in the larger HDD i get error 13 or 14.  now this all makes sense if my dash on the larger HDD got messed up, but i can't even load into a boot disc.  I tried reseating the modchip several thousand times so that really can't be a problem.  i even tried a different modchip (xenium) and no luck.  the xenium modchip led even comes on just fine so i know that there is not a problem with the solderless adapter or d0.  again i did nothing physically to change the xbox just all the sudden it doesn't boot, it's like hte modchip isn't even there.  has anyone come across this, or have any NEW suggestions?  i've read every forum 400 times so i'd appreciate any new insight other than the standard suggestions.  Thanks!

Exzir

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 04:09:00 AM »

Most people have fixed this with a new bios update.

Just tow questions to help me understand your problem better.

Do you always boot onto msdash?
I am thinking no becuase you have games burnt onto your hard drive.

I am thinkin that you renmaed the msdash bord from xboxdash.xbe and you had the evox dash or something like that take the name.  This could be the soruse of the problem.  

I am thinkin that your clock is messed up and you just need to set the time is a possable fix but updateing the bios to x2 2983 will correct this.  But you will need to update your time.

Typiclay you get an error 16 when you have a debunked clock but you can get other errors loading the dash.  error 13 and 14 are such errors.

This post has been edited by Exzir on Oct 3 2004, 07:12 PM

cupoange

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 06:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (Exzir @ Sep 29 2004, 11:09 AM)
Most people have fixed this with a new bios update.

Just tow questions to help me understand your problem better.

Do you always boot onto msdash?
I am thinking now becuase you have games burnt onto your hard drive.

I am thinkin that you renmaed the msdash bord from xboxdash.xbe and you had the evox dash or something like that take the name.  This could be the soruse of the problem.  

I am thinkin that your clock is messed up and you just need to set the time is a possable fix but updateing the bios to x2 2983 will correct this.  But you will need to update your time.

Typiclay you get an error 16 when you have a debunked clock but you can get other errors loading the dash.  error 13 and 14 are such errors.

i was running a very old bios/dash for over a year with no problems.  all the sudden it stopped working and i suspect a game like burnout3 to be the culprit for some reason.

when i did get it back working again i flashed to evox m7 bios and i forget which newer dash version.  everything was fine.

clock is fine, i can boot to msdash through original harddrive and everything is there like it was when i first bought the xbox.

i did nothing to change dash names etc, as i said i was playing it fine then all the sudden i turn it on the next day and it won't boot.

last night i bought an xodus programmer so when it comes i'll try reflashing the chip through my computer.  i have the suspicion that there is just a corrupt bios on the chip (and probably on the xenium chip i have too, i can't prove that that one works either cause i never used it).

i was wondering also if my suspiciouns about burnout3, star wars, etc were correct, so should i stay away from those games or delete the update.xbe from them so i can safely play......

Exzir

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »

Ok what I would like for you to try and do is to use the x2 4983 bios.  This will change the text from MS to excuter to make certaint the bios is being loaded.  

After you get that to show up please advices me if you still have a problem.

I might need more info at that time.

cupoange

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »

well right now i am waiting for the xodus programmer as i cannot do anything at all.  hopefully i can flash it through my computer and restore everything.  the more and more i think about it i think it may be an IGR problem, since right before it stopped working (twice) i was having problems with IGR where it would reset to a black screen.  once i am back up and running i'll probably disable IGR and get up off my lazy ass and reset the xbox manually.

when i get the programmer and if i have success flashing i'll let you know.

Exzir

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

IGR stands for In game Rest.  In shourt it is where you pause the game and hit a button combo and it will act as if you hit the eject button that is all it does nothing else.

It is entirely possible that the matrix chip is not getting a good ground or it could be just slightly over tighten and it will make one of the pins not a 100% good connection so when you do a IGR it freezes the XB up before it loads the dash.

This post has been edited by Exzir on Sep 30 2004, 11:36 PM

cupoange

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 08:13:00 PM »

i understand what you're saying, it's just that my xbox has worked perfectly for over a year with absolutely no problem whatsoever, and all of the sudden it stops working without me making any change on it in hardware or software, sans loading new games on the harddrive.  i checked the modchip several several several times and i am almost fairly certain beyond getting an oscilliscope that it is not a physical problem.   the only reason i mentioned igr is that on my perusing of all the forums i've come across more than once when people say that in game reset and certain games can cause problems.

cupoange

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

i got the programmer today, and when i plugged it in it read no bios.  very very weird.  so i relashed it, and it worked.  then i took it out, blew some air through to clean out any dust before i close it up, plug it back in, and it doesn't work.  go back to the programmer and there's no bios.  reflash, plug it in, it works.  it's working now, i haven't touched it, but i don't know how long it will last.  anyone hear of this happening?  it's a chameleon chip.  hmmmph.

Exzir

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »

Well I guess you could have static discharged it blank is the only thing I can think of.  Don't touch it again hehehehehe.

cupoange

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 09:42:00 PM »

after a day of playing and it working, i boot up today and it doesn't work.  sure enough, no bios is on the modchip.  apparently it's not holding its flash for some reason which is ridiculous.  perhaps the bank is somehow corrupt?  i will try another bank and see.  otherwise maybe it's just time to get a new modchip......

Exzir

• Archived User
Modchip Won't Boot
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 04:13:00 AM »

You could also solfmod your xbox.  This will eliminate the need for a mod chip.  I would do the st.db one so you can still play on XBlive.