xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem Changing Dash On Softmodded Xbox!  (Read 135 times)

litclicker

• Archived User
Problem Changing Dash On Softmodded Xbox!
« on: June 09, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

Hi all, i just bought a soft modded xbox from ebay for a friends son. It came with the old Evox dash on and i wanted to install XBMC, i found which .xbe file it was booting from on the c:drive and replaced with the shortcut by team uix and the placed the XBMC folder in e:Apps , the problem is that when i came to reboot the xbox i get error 13.  

Ive tryed creating a boot disc from unleashx with default.xbe and xboxdash.xbe (which is what the dash booted from) and switching on xbox with the disc inserted but it still goes to error 13.

The softmod is still installed and so is the the original xboxdash.xbe file which i renamed to xboxdash1.xbe when i added the replacement.

So does anybody know what i did wrong (i suppose i may have named the replacement wrong but i dont think so) and is there any way to fix this or do i need to be buying my friends son another Xbox?

All help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »

You've screwed up big time by messing with the wrong file. C:\xboxdash.xbe is the file that triggers the softmod, and now that you've renamed and replaced it your Xbox isn't softmodded. If it was modded with a gamesave then you could run the game, load the exploited gamesave, and use ftp to undo the damage you have done. Once you get it working again, grab HeXEn (Google Heimdall's Xbox engineering Disc), burn it to DVD-R, and use it to upgrade your softmod to a recent and much better one - Krayzie 1.1.1 or Kingroach NDURE 3.1. HeXEn also gives you tools to easily change the dashboard, which I will talk you through when you get to that stage.

If the gamesave isn't on there then you need to start from scratch - a new gamesave and a whole pile of manual work, or hotswap and a whole pile of manual work.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »

Also, yet again, a warning needs to be added not to disconnect the Xbox from the electricity supply whilst you're still getting Error 13. If you do on next boot up you'll get Error 16 and likely make things even more complicated.

Even without that problem if the game saves aren't there I still don't see how  litclicker is going to be able to resolve an Error 13 easily. With the softmod gone and the C:\ drive messed up he can't get to any dash. Suggesting hotswapping assumes he has that option available ie. a suitable PC or Xbox and fitting a chip is as expensive as buying another Xbox.

Is there any other solution he could try?

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »

Unfortunately not, and you're right about a new gamesave install being out of the question unless he can recover the MS Dash. A post 2004 live enabled game might restore the dash by signing in to live, but if that doesn't work and there isn't a gamesave installer on there already then it's hotswap or fit a chip.

litclicker

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »

Ok thanks for this guys, so lets see if i got this right.

If i can use a post 2004 game to sign into live it may restore the ms dash and then i run the game (splinter cell) and load the exploited gamesave.  Have i got this right and is xbox live for the original xbox still working?

As for hot swapping and chipping theyre a no go for me, so its the either the above method or ill have to just write this one off.

Thanks again for the replys, its been a while since i messed around with xboxes and i have indeed f*cked up royaly  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

Yes, you've got it right, and you don't need Xbox live to work (you don't even need a network connection) - you just start the process of signing in to live and the game will update your dash. Once it's done that you remove the game and start the softmod again.

The softmod on the Xbox is an old and poor one, so once you get the Xbox remodded you should use HeXEn to upgrade it to Krayzie or Kingroach.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

if the op is right and the softmod is still installed. And it boots disks (games) Why cant they simply run hexen to install ndure without having to update the dash?
And even if he does update the dash wont there be a shoadow C issue?

xman954

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(shambles1980 @ Jun 14 2011, 10:03 PM) View Post
if the op is right and the softmod is still installed. And it boots disks (games) Why cant they simply run hexen to install ndure without having to update the dash?
And even if he does update the dash wont there be a shoadow C issue?
Why.......

C:\xboxdash.xbe is the file that triggers the softmod, and now that you've renamed and replaced it your Xbox isn't softmodded

it will only boot orignal games not burned disks (IF unpluged and clock gets unset THEN it will not boot anymore)