xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: X-control On Xp Problems  (Read 2146 times)

tokyoturnip

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« on: August 28, 2004, 04:05:00 PM »

I just bought the X-chip and got it in the mail yesterday. Was all excited and come to find out that X-control is not working on WinXP home SP2. The install appears to have installed OK, installed using Admin account. Also installed the USB drver without problems. However clicking on X-control to run it get the follow error "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application." It creates a entry in the system eventlog, and sending the info to MS online debug says that it can not access a needed dll or file.  I know XP SP2 now has Data Execution protection, It looks like it set to windows files and system files by default. Does not look like I can turn off.
I was able to install it and run it on a friends Win2000 machine and run with out problems...However I can not impose on my freind everytime I want to flash the BIOS.
I want to make sure that I flash it with the 1.6bios before putting it in my Xbox. Is the Evox 1.6 BIOS already installed by default.
Any help appreciated.

christineyoung

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

Hi,

You have names wrong....

Evox 1.0 is X-Chips secret Bios, contains two files full.bin and full16.bin, the full16.bin is for 1.6 xbox's only and the full.bin is for 1.0 to 1.5 xbox's.

The defaulted shipping image on X-Chip is legal Cromwell so no unsigned code access so you will need to load a  proper bios to play unsigned code.

As for SP2 and XP, I have Home and Pro installs with and without SP2 and have not run into any issues with drivers, I would 1st connect X-Chip to PC then goto system/ hardware preferences and see if anything conflicting.

Also, in X-Control on your PC does the X turn green top left when connected also is legacy 1.1 support enabled in bios if you have 2.0 ports?

tokyoturnip

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »

No problems or conflicts with drivers. At OS level, OS see the chip attached.
I can not even open X-control, which is why I posted.  I get the error as stated before when I click to open X-control on the exe itself, or from the start menu.
With the Chip hooked up, or not hooked up i still get same error, and X-control does not open. I never get to see the GUI.
I even tried W2k, 98, NT compatablity mode, but no success.
I found two MS KB articles regarding DEP (data execution protection) KB 878474 and KB 875352, however following the instructions on disabling DEP, does not change my situation.

I have a 1.6 Xbox, will I be able to put in the chip without flashing the bios first, and it should boot to Cromwell without frying my system? Once chip is in and I if I did not flash with correct BIOS Should I be careful of pressing any buttons during boot up? Don't want to activate any of the secret BIOS that are not designed for my system, and have a doorstop.

I will check on the 1.1 Legacy port option in BIOS. I beleive it is enable since I know I have some non 2.0 USB things connected.
Thanks for the reply Christine.

christineyoung

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 10:01:00 PM »

You will need a 1.6 capable bios on chip prior to attaching to 1.6 xbox and powering up!!!!  Shipped cromwell is not 1.6 compatible and could/may fry xbox if you try booting it up with it on chip.

Use the file full16.bin when you find evox 1.0 download( xbins has it ).  You will need working X-Control to write the 4MB image can't do it through CDRW or DVD-R.    But once you have it working just do a File - Load Raw and select your 4 MB full16.bin file and then do a X-Chip - Write Changes.

After reading your initail post i did a few searches on the error code you reported and majority of issues was not updated firmware on devices, but since X-Chip only has one driver release cannot be it, possible bad download and install but not likely.

Do you have updated drivers for your USB ports? And all devices on your PC?

When you connect X-Chip what does it list in the Device Manager as connected USB devices?

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »

so do u get it to work.. if not send me a pm i had the same problem and got it figured out.

tokyoturnip

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

Sorry to admit, I took the easy way out and just installed W2K on a piece of junk old machine, just enough to run X-control to flash the chip once. Was able to flash it using W2K without problems. Then I had fun trying to burn a Evox boot disk 10 different ways, until I learned about the X-Box compatable checkbox in NERO, then I was off and running.

If you know the solution for the problem I had, feel free to post it to share with all, I am sure others with same problem, and only access to a WinXP machine would like to know.

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »

yeah i shoulda thoght about that sorry.
anyway the solution i used was simple.
i just did alll the updates for winxp
ie..... WINDOWS UPDATE!!
its a like a dll. error type deal..

and what version of nero are u using? lol i didnt know about the xbox thing...

tokyoturnip

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

Hmm, I thought I am all up-to-date using Windows Update. But I think SP2 is a lot more restrictive and causing problems..

Any how, I use NERO 6. The Xbox compatablity check box is when you burn CD ISO/UDF type, there is a checkbox on one of the tabs. I forget, I am at work.  But the key is CD ISO/UDF type will make the Xbox compatablity checkbox available.

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »

thanks alot man..
yeah i understand what u mean but i am running xp now and the only thing i did when i got that damn error was... lol updates... thats it.... so im pretty convinced it was posaibly that...

NghtShd

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »

I have the same problem. Installed SP2 this morning and now x-control will not run.

Error: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).

I've accepted all the updates available. I get the same error on both my desktop PC and my laptop.

tokyoturnip

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »

Well at least I am no longer alone with this problem. Just proves I am not crazy, and more reason for developers to try to get it to work with XP SP2, or at least clue us in on setting changes we can make to get it to work, as more and more people will install SP2.

Tokyoturnip

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »

ok.. heres two things that i can think of...
Did  u follow EVERY step.... andi mean EVERYSTEP..
cuz it 2 times it will say pick the bottem of 2 selections... hard to explain. if u installed the wrong one... that could have done whats going on..
also..
goto goolge.com. and type in that error message..
and c what it says is the problem.
thats all i can think of..
cuz im running THE SAME os as u guys..

NghtShd

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »

I don't know what you're talking about, but my computers are both perfectly fine and up to date.

I think that error is an access violation. Like maybe a function returned a null pointer and somebody forgot to check that (just assumed that something would be there).

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »

uh......? ok.......

NghtShd

• Archived User
X-control On Xp Problems
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »

If you are talking about installing the USB driver then yes, I picked the bottom one.

I uninstalled everything and I also went through the registry and cleaned out all x-chip related stuff left behind. Then I reinstalled x-control and the usb driver.

I read one report of a person successfully running x-control on sp2, but he installed it after sp2 was installed, so maybe that's why his worked.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4