xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-chip Contact Help  (Read 773 times)

RockmanZeroX

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« on: August 02, 2004, 12:05:00 PM »

Hi.

I got my x-chip installed fine and everything works...
I used the solderless adapter to install
It just my x-chip seems to be loose..
This one time my evox didnt load so i opened up my xbox and noticed that the red light on the x-chip wasnt on..

So I turned on the power and put pressure on the chip and the red light turned on.
So I put back on the dvddrive adn HDD and turned the xbox on to make sure and the chip had become loose and again and the red light didnt turn on.

Right now I just leave the dvddrive and HDD on the conected on the side of the xbox.

Anyone kno a what I can do so that my x-chip touches the solderless adapter snug and tight so that I can put back together my xbox without it becoming loose again?

Im also sure i have the chip on the right way on the adapater.
And also all the pins on my adapter are perfectly straight up and are aligned straight.

Maybe I should use some tape to hold it down or waa???

Plz Help thnx!

This post has been edited by RockmanZeroX on Aug 2 2004, 07:09 PM

d9ciarav

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »

That's a good question.  I'd like to find a way to get the chip and adaptor to make better contact as well; I've attempted four X-Chip installs, and only one has gone smoothly.  Each time, I had the same issues Rockman did.

twisted.penguin

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 09:28:00 PM »

wink.gif or use the supplied rivits.

d9ciarav

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »

Thanks for the helpful response, twisted (?)

The issue for many of us who purchased an X-Chip with solderless adaptor is that the X-Chip and the adaptor don't make good contact, and as a result, the bios from the chip only boots between, say, 10-30% of the time.  The rest of the time the Xbox either (1) boots the retail bios, or worse, (2) frags.  It has nothing to do with the contacts on the Xbox motherboard itself, and in my case, all the boxes I've attempted to mod already had solder on the contact points, except the D0 of course.  So rivets have nothing to do with the problem.  From what I've read from Rockman, these are the same type of problems that he is having.  I'm a somewhat experienced modder, and have put together probably 20+ boxes for myself and friends.  I've always gone the solderless route (Matrix, x2 Lite+, Chameleon), and have never had problems like this before working with the X-Chip.  So I'm asking, as is Rockman, if there is any way to make sure the adaptor stays in solid contact with the chip, rather than falling out of contact and failing to boot the bios on the chip.  That, after all, is the whole point of using a modchip, isn't it?

RockmanZeroX

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 10:51:00 PM »

sad.gif  the tape wont hold it down...

D9 .. do you have an AIM screename .. I would like to discuss this with someone with the same problmes as me.

Its really annoying thinking youve got it in good and then it lods noramlly and then you gotta open up ur xbox again.... its really a pain in the ass.

Also the problem is with the chip touching the adapater and not the adapter touching the motherboard.

Plz if anyone has any suggestion for a way to help get the x-chip nice and snug on the adapter plz tell.

Thnx

cravavar3

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 12:45:00 PM »

I've just performed another  install and got same issues as all you above but noticed rocking on xchip the analyzed and bend the pins aparst more and still noticed rocking, so i looked at solderless adapter and push downonxchip and guess what the solderless adapter moved down about  1/2 mm

SO what o did was align the solderless so  pins make contact in centre of lpc spots and screw down tight, now i puched th adapter down again and tightened evenmore the attached D0 and guess what.  Working :P  NO ROCKING ETC!

Verify your adapter is 100% flush with motherboard and center of pogo pogopins are center of lpc holes.

BY no means does red led mean contact is success just 5V making contact.

RockmanZeroX

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

Cravavar I did what said worked for you but it didnt work for me....

The chip still rocks and my adapter is perfectly center in the holes and and screwed down tightly.....

Do have AIM cravavar??

If anyone else has some suggestions plz post them.

Thnx

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (twisted.penguin @ Aug 6 2004, 05:31 AM)
Either learn how to solder,  wink.gif or use the supplied rivits.

twisted.penguin.... why would u even reply for??? seriousley?? that was the stupidest reply anyone could have said.... well i guess leave it to you..... retar#$

[email protected]

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 10:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (RockmanZeroX @ Aug 7 2004, 04:32 AM)
Cravavar I did what said worked for you but it didnt work for me....

The chip still rocks and my adapter is perfectly center in the holes and and screwed down tightly.....

Do have AIM cravavar??

If anyone else has some suggestions plz post them.

Thnx

.. k what i did was i bent the pins on the adaptor out a lil more one on side so when i put it on it would ONLY go on if i put one side on first.. that made it VERY tight for me. only thing is u cant pull it off or it could break the pins... that was the only thing i could do to make it stop frag ing... hope this reply helps a little

This post has been edited by [email protected] on Aug 7 2004, 05:21 AM

jjff8844

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 11:23:00 PM »

I'm glad some people said the non-solder matrix modchip works ok because i bought one from Easybuy2000. It works ok but i just have to reallign it and flash it again every 3 months. Some how i damaged the d0 point because of the many attempts to install the chip. That taught me a lesson not to go with solder-less chip. I wasted 65 dollars on the chip and 75 dollars on a new board. If you guys have friends that have other solderless adaptor from other chips like x-cuter and xenium. Should try it with those and see does that problem causes by the chip or adapter. I still think the solder solution is the best way if you know how to solder.

cravavr3

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »

No other solderless adapter will work since they do not use the pin #6 on LPC port.  X-Chip has the only solderless designed adapter pulling the 5V necessary to run the x-chip.

I'm working on rerouting the D0 and 5V wire on my solderless, or using harline wire and seeing if it connects better.

T_relll

• Archived User
X-chip Contact Help
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »

I am having the same problem, the x-chip seems really loose. (not like the chameleon's I have installed in the past...This is the first X-chip I have installed and to make matters worse Im using one of the first X-box's..It doesnt allow me to use those lil pins to drop into the motherboard..So thats why I was thinking the chip was loose. Im going to try to tight every thing down one more time...I beleive I have the correct bios M8 and changed that in evtools for use with a larger HD..Im running out of ideas to get this thing to work!!!!!!!!!