xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Xbox 1.6 With A X-chip Problem  (Read 1248 times)

craig123

• Archived User
Xbox 1.6 With A X-chip Problem
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »

So you had to solder a wire connecting the LFRAME point on the bottom of the motherboard to the D0 point on the X-chip to get it to work?  Am I understanding this right.  I am going to try the LPC rebuild tonight.

l8erdude

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

I wired the LFRAME point on the TOP of the motherboard to the D0 hole on the x-chip.  I soldered the other wires to rebuild the LPC on the bottom of the board.  Use the Xenium install guide to see where the LFRAME point is.

craig123

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »

I rebuilt the LPC under the mobo using the pin header.  I attached the LFRAME on the top of the mobo to the D0 hole on the X-chip.  the xchip was loaded with the M8_16.bin bios and set as "boot". My xbox reboots 3 times flashing the greeen light real slow then it starts blinking red and green real fast.  Nothing appears on the screen and it does the same thing when I pull the chip out.  I am scared that someting went very wrong.  Any ideas?

l8erdude

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 12:31:00 AM »

That's not a good sign if you cannot boot even with the chip out.  The new solder points shouldn't have any effect on the normal operation since they don't go anywhere with the chip out.  You might have shorted something on the LPC wires on the bottom side.  Check the LPC wires again and make sure that all your solder points aren't touching anything else, such as another hole next to them.  Those points are very small, so it's very easy for the solder to run over and short another point.  Inspect them really carefully and resolder them if you have to.  Does the LED on the chip turn red when you have it plugged in?

craig123

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 03:09:00 PM »

Yes the LED is on.

christineyoung

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »

Make sure no pin is in the red circle area ( pin #4 ) this seems to act as an antenna and causes issues.

LFRAME on all diagrams has been said to be wired to D0 you may have missed that detail.

christineyoung

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 05:45:00 AM »

tongue.gif.  

Simple method of testing your wiring, is remove all wires but leave pin header present in xbox, if works then means one wire was on wrong spot or shorted if not means pin header install is issues and maybe bridged.

christineyoung

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »

craig123: Try removing your pin header install, possible microbridge there.  We need to 1st get your system back to wokring state an doriginal before we can try and get you going again. If it's not working now, why spend 10's of hours trying when its not know if the unit is working without chip.  Also go over all points you soldered to and use desolder braid and remove excess solder.

cravavr3

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »

You can buy desolder braid at any electronics store, it is basically a copper strand that when heated ontop of solder absorbs it and removes it from the solder point.

You can also use a desolder bulb by heating up solder and depressing and letting go.

If you think the removal will be painfull, you may wish to just use soldering iron on all points and slide up the pin header, look between all pins and make sure no bridges and try powering, by heating up solder you may bring any solder bridges out by pulling soldering iron up the end of pin header and leaving excess on pin.

1st attempt at soldering, could be a # issues not related to your skills. 1st verify using electronic solder and not plumbers solder.  Also, when wires appear soldered try pulling on wire and see if secure or loose.

craig123

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

ohmy.gif I have modded 10 or more Xboxes in my day and never had one give me any trouble untill this 1.6  I hate to say it but I think MS won this round.  beerchug.gif

cravavr3

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »

craig123: Try looking at xeniums, 1.6 repair guide. It may help you.

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2004, 10:27:00 PM »

I did that extra wire thing that was said to fix it but I got nothing...  I rebuilt the bottom LPC but for one of the rebuliding points (one thats like 3 mm away from its port) I connected it with solder only. Do you think this would effect it? Im not shure whats wrong, It boots up 3 times then FRAGS. Ill have to keep tinkering...

Mick Garvey

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2004, 01:28:00 PM »

Yeah it has the FULL_16.bin and also the M8_16 bios on it...

sftoervde

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 02:21:00 AM »

Then it quite possibly could be the solder bridge.  If it isn't touching the motherboard, then I don't see why it would be causing the problems.  Check all your connections...  It wouldn't hurt to reflash again.  Reflash, but don't put the M8_16 on it at first.
Pages: 1 [2]