xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X-chips News.  (Read 1182 times)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« on: February 28, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »

New modchip announced: 'X-CHIP'
>> EASYBUY2000.com has announced they will produce a new Xbox modchip soon.
So far these are the details we have (taken from their product description):

This new chip has 4Mb of Flash memory and 2Mb of extra SRAM! We are going to upgrade all pre-orders of the Cham2 for the new X-CHIP. If you ordered the Cham2 with an adapter, your X-CHIP will come with one as well.

Unlock the power of your XBOX! The new X-CHIP includes 4Mb of Flash memory, 2Mb of extra SRAM and is USB and CPLD programmable! The Solderless Adapter is compatible with all versions of XBOX.

Main features:
* 4Mb of Flash Memory
* 2Mb extra SRAM
* USB Programmable
* CPLD Programmable
* Solderless Adaptor (optional) is compatible with all versions of XBOX

Prices:
With Adapter: $65.00
Without Adapter: $54.00

(February 28 17:58 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »

Update about 'X-CHIP'
>> From easybuy2000.com:

March 2: We are almost finished production of the X-CHIP. We have discovered a bug and are working to fix it. The new ETA will be set to March 21st. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience!

There's also a small clarification about the size of the chips as there was some confusion after the first announcement. The Flash Memory will be 4MB (mega bytes) and the SRAM will be 2Mb (mega bits).
(March 3 16:20 GMT+1)  <

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »

New X-Chip release date
>> EasyBuy2000 today pushed back the release date of the X-Chip to May 25, 2004:
http://www.myaffilia...2/t.asp?id=5113

We are running some tests to make sure the chip is 100% ready to be released, and we expect to have it ready for shipment by May. 25th. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience!

They are also still looking for Xbox v1.6 consoles (they offer 250usd or a fully modded xbox in return) to ensure v1.6 compatibility with their new X-Chip modchip. Click http://www.easybuy20...e/xbox1.6.shtml for more info.
(May 12 01:49 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »

More X-Chip news and first picture
>> From EasyBuy2000:

The X-CHIP will be in stock in approx. 2 weeks. We thank everyone who has been patient with us for the last while. We will charge and ship when it's in stock! We have reduced our prices, so everyone who pre-ordered will be charged the NEW prices that we have listed.
Please see the specials below for even MORE savings on bulk purchases!

They changed the release date from May 25, 2004 to "2 weeks" (which is about the same) and lowered the retail price from 54usd to 49usd for the modchip alone and from 65usd to 59usd for modchip + solderless adaptor.
They also released the first public picture of the new modchip (sample).

(IMG:http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/4/x-chip/xchip_tumbzzz_1.jpg)

You see: the X-CHIP, the Solderless Adapter, the USB PCB, Linker Wire (modchip-usb pcb)
(May 13 00:19 GMT+1)   <

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 06:52:00 PM »

X-Chip coming week of June 14th
>> From Easybuy 2000:

Stock is on-hand for the X-CHIP! We expect to begin shipping orders by next week. We thank everyone who has been patient with us for the last while.

They included some images proving the chip is in production:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Pre-Order X-Chip ($49 alone or $59 with solderless adaptor): Easybuy2000.com
(June 9 05:39 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »

X-chip Pre-Installation Review
>> XS received review samples during the last 2 days, unfortunately no one has had time to do a proper install and review yet. Expect Xantium to do a full and proper installation walkthrough and review later.

This is simply a collection of shots taken in a rush before my camera died.

The complete package as it shipped to us...
(IMG:http://pictures.xbox-scene.com/hsdemonz/X-Chip_Sample_Review_Small/X-Chip_Complete_Set400.jpg)

Included.. was the X-Chip modchip, Solderless Adapter, and the USB Adapter/Button attachment.

Full Pre-Installation Review and Comments with Hi Res Pics
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?act...=0#entry1503460
(June 15 16:45 GMT+1) -  <

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 07:47:00 AM »

X-Chip X Control Software and Solderless Adapter Installation Guide Released
>> Sorry for the late post... yesterday EasyBuy2000 released the flash software and the Solderless Adapter Installation Guide. Until they release a pinheader installation guide just use an existing Chameleon or Xenium Pinheader Installation guide. (or just about any pinheader guide for that matter)

X-Chip XControl USB Flash Software: http://pictures.xbox...rol_install.zip
X-Chip Solderless Adapter Installation Guide: http://pictures.xbox...hip_adapter.pdf
Order X-Chip (available now!): http://www.myaffilia...2/b.asp?id=5113
(June 17 18:26 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »

Review: EasyBuy2000.com’s X-Chip w/ Solderless Adapter
>> (formerly named Chameleon 2)

user posted image

Buy Now: EasyBuy2000 $49.00 without solderless adapter
Buy Now: EasyBuy2000 $59.00 combo with Adapter

Official Site: www.easybuy2000.com

What the retail package contains:

When a customer orders just a X-Chip this is what is shipped.

1-X-Chip
1-USB programmer
1-Wire linker
1-Pin Header

When a customer orders a X-Chip combo this is what is shipped.

1-X-Chip
1-USB programmer
1-Wire linker
1-Solder-less adapter (new design)
1-Bag of rivets that include 10 rivets and 1 replacement screw.
1-Pin header

Note: No Washers ship with either product.. as none are needed now.

Well.. here is my ‘first’ of two reviews. (you’ll understand by the end of this review why)

Some of the staff received samples 5 days ago but this is the first official review of the chip. A review would have been done sooner.. but there was a few circumstances preventing it.

First.. the sample package as shipped.. was missing the bag of rivets, pin-header, and replacement screw. Second delay was the Official Installation Guides and XControl Software was not publicly available either.

EB2K quickly couriered the missing parts so that I could get this review done in a timely fashion. (helps that I’m local!) During the delay.. they also managed to get the Xcontrol USB Flashing Software and the Solderless Guide up and available to the public on their site. (Pin-header Solder Method Guide still not available.. however.. following the Chamelone Pin-header guide serves as well.)

So.. now after nearly a week of delays, missing parts, and dealing with a broken camera.. I’ve manged to finally sit down to attempt an installation. Since this was a full Solderless Package I figured I would install it and test it using that method.

Using 2 XBOX units.. a 1.1 and a 1.3 units I had handy I proceeded to prep them for the installation. Prep included cleaning the LPC holes, and Topside D0 with alcohol. Using the supplied rivets, screw, and solderless adapter I attached the adapter to the motherboard. Installed the chip onto the pins of the adapter as directed by their guide, and attempted to boot the unit. FRAG. (Flashing Red and Green)

Same install on the other XBOX.. using the same method.. proved just as fruitless.

Having other chips handy.. I was able to determine that the X-Chip Solderless Adapter was making good and proper contact with each XBOX it was used on.. as it booted Chameleons and Xeniums perfectly fine and without trouble.

Cpoc/EasyBuy2000 was extremely helpful and worked with me to troubleshoot this situation. It was determined via pictures and videos I provided.. that the Chip was likely somewhat defective.. as it appeared the it’s female connectors were simply not making the proper contact with the X-Chip Solderless Adapter. This is a situation he was able to duplicate on his end.. but with less fatal results.

I found that the Chip, when properly installed onto the pins of the adapter could be rocked back and forth to a degree that leads me to beleive that the fit of the chip and solderless adapter wasn't tested as much as the fit of the pin-header and chip.. which is quite snug and secure. Example video: Rock and Roll Connection (avi)

So.. with the X-Chip Sample currently in my possession apparently defective.. I cannot finish a proper hardware review of this chip. EB is couriering out replacements samples so sometime next week I should be able to write a follow-up review.

I’d like to take a moment and discuss the adapter. It appears to be superior in design to previous solderless adapters. It’s far more rigid, a proper metal washer for the screw hole (likely overkill.. but can’t hurt). The ‘teeth’ appear to be strong.. solid.. and the springs seems to always spring back and didn’t pop any teeth out. With or without rivets.. the units stays secure to the motherboard providing a good and reliable connection. (that fact.. test with other chip like Chameleon and Xenium on the X-Chip Adapter.. since we didn’t get the X-Chip to function properly) For more info on my view on the X-Chip Solderless Adapter check my Pre-Installation Review.

Something else worth noting.. the relative thickness and rigidity of the PCB used. Feels thick and strong.

Since I was never able to get their Cromwell(info) to boot.. so I was unable to see their bootup screens. However.. I was able to use their flash control software and have nothing but good things to say about it.

To flash the X-Chip via the included USB adapter/dongle, simply connect an appropriate A/B USB cable to the unit.. and plug into a pc. Then.. follow the on-screen prompts / XControl Software Install guide to install the software and USB drivers.

user posted image

Once it is all installed.. and you run the software.. you are presented with a clean interface.. that doesn’t require much explaining or thought to use. It’s pretty dummy proof.

user posted image

With the software.. you have a lot of banks to play with.. more than you’ll likely ever need. Here.. you can also set key buttons that will boot your BIOS of choice.

user posted image

The software detects the chip quickly.. and performs a full 4MB write in about 2 minutes or less. It also was able to upsize BIOS files.. so if you wanted a 256k one in a 1 meg slot.. it handled the chore for you.

POSITIVE:
+ Xcontrol Software was easy to install and use
+ Flawless USB control and flashing/backup
+ Solderless Adapter appears to be the best currently available.(rigid and strong)
+ pin-header and solderless solutions provided.. best of both world.
+ Thickness of the PCB
+ EB2K tech support

NEGATIVE:
- Package shipped minus essential parts. (quickly remedied though)
- Software and guides were not available at time of product release (partially remedied)
- Sample Chip that shipped was partially defective.

I’ll follow-up this review when the replacement review samples arrive.

(June 18 21:14 GMT
http://www.xbox-scen...pZyYFkIOWMj.php

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »

Review: EasyBuy2000.com’s X-Chip w/ Solderless Adapter
>> (formerly named Chameleon 2)

user posted image

Buy Now: EasyBuy2000.com $49.00 without solderless adapter
Buy Now: EasyBuy2000.com $59.00 combo with Adapter

First.. I'd like to take the time and thank Easybuy2000.com for working with me to get this review finished in a timely manner.  Their Tech Support was quick to help and diagnose the problems with the previous sample.. and shipping made sure I had replacements fast.  I received the replacement samples hours ago and was able to spend some time with them to finish this review.

Pre-Installation Review (covers preliminary thoughts about the size, shape, and quality of the PCB and material used in the contruction of the chip.)

X-Chips Review Part 1(covers first attempt at getting the hardware working.. as well as an in-depth review of the USB Flash Software, and the USB Driver Installation for Windows Flashing Program XControl.)

With X-Chip in hand, I reopened the 1.1 and 1.3 boards I was testing this on the other day.  Place the new chip on the included Solderless adapter, booted the units and was now formally introduced to the EB2K X-Bios Cromwell Screen.

user posted image

From the main menu, you are presented options to select the various banks, Flash the System Bios (os) or to continue booting Cromwell (for the purposes of install Linux.

I opted to flash some banks from the hard-drive, navigating the X-Chip XBios is easy and simple, moving from menu to menu, selecting the drive, directory, and file to flash with.  Flashing a single bank is quick and painless. You then return to the previous menu and optionally select to Switch to the Bios you just flashed.  The CD Bios Disk Method differs little when flashing from a Bios CD that can be prepared ahead of time, burned.. and placed in the Xbox.

As you can see from the pictures and photos, the installation is trouble free and easy.

Pics:
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Video:
http://pictures.xbox...ll_DSCF0198.AVI
http://pictures.xbox...ve_DSCF0222.AVI
http://pictures.xbox...ot_DSCF0223.AVI
http://pictures.xbox...ot_DSCF0203.AVI

I did however make a simple mistake that rendered one of the replacements useless for 5 minutes. I had accidently flashed the system os with one of my color mod bios, and the Chips OS appears to have no safety check in place.  When the flash was completed.. and I rebooted.. I was unable to gain access to the cromwell based os. It was a simple matter to fix however.. as all you need to do is hook up the Chip to the USB on a PC and reflash with the included FULL.BIN raw image file that is included with the XControl Software.

No odd cromwell issues with funky hardware hooked up.

Hardware tested included:
- 7 Different Controllers (MS, Logitech, HipGear, MadMax)
- 2 remotes (Stock and third party)
- 3 USB Keyboards (one Wireless Logitech, one Ms Office KB, one third party mini keyboard)
- 4 USB Mice (one wireless Logitech, 2 MS, 1 third party)
- 3 light guns (MadMax, and 2 asian models)
- 2 different retail xbox to USB cable adapters (www.lik-sang.com and www.spotted-horse.com plus one homebrew one.)
- 3 memory cards including MS Stock, and two 3rd party no-name ones)
- 1 Xbox Communicator (stock)

(**I would have tested more hardware if I had more time.)

So.. here is my final rundown on this chip.

Postives:
+ XBios Cromwell interfacce is basic, clean and easy to understand and navigate.
+ Boots in 2-3 seconds to menu
+ Selectable Bios options, 4MB of Slots for any combo of hacked Bios and stock Bios you could ever want. (note: system OS claims 512k)
+ If Cromwell Fails, USB flashing fixes easily.
+ 6 direct boot options (A, B, X, Y, Power, Eject Buttons)
+ 2 MB SRAM ( we don't know what plans EB has for this yet.. but the potential for stuff like Dash on Chip or oDebuggin utilities etc down the road will determine how much of a positive this feature is.)
+ Thick PCB design, sturdy Solderless Adapter option
+ included rivits are nice, but really un-needed.

Negatives:
- Initial Delays in getting all the hardware, software, and guides, and issues with first sample.  All were rectified in a timely manner.
- ease of which System OS can be destroyed by accidental flashing. Note: it's also just as easy to fix.)

Not much negative to say. It's a simple chip.. with simple features.. and it works.  

Buy Now: EasyBuy2000.com $49.00 without solderless adapter
Buy Now: EasyBuy2000.com $59.00 combo with Adapter

(June 22 09:38 GMT+1)
http://www.xbox-scen...AplQeLHcmGB.php

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 10:08:00 AM »

X-Chip Cromwell 1.0 Source Code Released
>> Easybuy2000.com has released the source to their OS.

Download: X-Bios Source 1.0

(July 5 21:07 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

EvolutionX M8 final and Xchip bios
>> From Team EvolutionX(info):

* EvoX M8 bios
Due to the latest confusions, leaks etc. we have decided to make an official M8 release.
There are still some unsolved matters, so we will release it in two different versions:
* M8.BIN Is a new BIOS based on the latest 5838 kernel, and has the same features as M7, It will work on XBOX versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5)
* M8_16.BIN Is also based on the 5838 kernel and has the same features as M7. It will ONLY work on XBOX version 1.6

* XChip bios
This is our first BIOS release for the X-CHIP, please note that this BIOS will only work with the X-CHIP!
The BIOS is released in two different versions:
* FULL.BIN Works on XBOX Versions (1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5)
* FULL16.BIN Works only with XBOX version 1.6
Flash the BIOS using the X-CHIP XCONTROL Software
The XChip bios takes advantages of the SRAM.
Here is the first version of this bios:
Main Features List
* Trainer Menu System (Supports EvoX ETM files)
* Bank Selection / Switching
* DVD Region Setting
* Audio Setting (Mono, Stereo, Dolby Surround Sound)
* Language Setting
* TV Mode (Pal_I, NTSC_J, NTSC_M)
* Video Mode Settings (Normal, Letterbox, Widescreen)
* Video Refresh (50Hz, 60Hz)
* Game Region (Manufacturing, North American, Japanese, Rest of World)
* XBOX Live Blocker
* Eject Fix (Enable / Disable)
* Setup Text (Enable / Disable)
* Boot from CD-ROM (Yes / No)
* 1st, 2nd, 3rd Dashboard Boot Priority
* USB Debug Output (Enable / Disable)
* Setup Password Protection
* Skin Selection
* Fan Control (Auto, Low, Medium,Fast, Max)
* Auto EEPROM Backup on first boot
* Make EEPROM Backup
* Recover EEPROM
* Lock Harddisk
* Unlock Harddisk
* View CPU Temperature
* View Motherboard Temperature
* View FAN Voltage
* View Harddisk Model
* View Harddisk Serial No.
* View Harddisk Lock status
* View Harddisk Key
* View XBOX Serial No,
* View MAC Address
* View AV Pack info
* View PIC Info

Check XBINS for these files.  <

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »

X-Chip owners.. you will want to get your hands on that X-Chip bios. smile.gif

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

X-Chip on Xbox v1.6 guide
>> Easybuy2000 released a new guide explaining how to install their X-Chip on Xbox v1.6.
You can download the 'X-CHIP on 1.6 XBOX Quick Reference Guide' here (zipped pdf) http://dwl.xbox-scen..._quickguide.zip

(August 12 03:52 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

EvoX X-Chip bios v1.1
>> A new EvoX X-Chip bios has been released. This is the 'OS + hacked bios' for Easybuy's X-Chip modchip - it will only work on the X-Chip modchip. From evolutionx.info:

We just finished a new version of the Xchip bios.
Whats new/fixed :
* Flash from within X-Chip OS
* Bank control from within X-Chip OS
* Erase or Clear banks
* Quick update OS
* IGR Hard/Soft mode (credits dootdoo/nghtshd)
* LBA48 (credits Paul Bartholomew/nghtshd)
* DVD Drive info
* Control background rotation
* Enable / Disable boot logo's
* HDTV Support (untested)
* Many Bug fixes
* Default LBA48 and (Normal drive F) is disabled. You have to configure LBA Mode before you can use drive F,G. See manual for details

Official Site: http://www.evolutionx.info
Download: n/a (contains MS copyrighted code)
(September 4 16:56 GMT+1)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
X-chips News.
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »

X-Chip X-Control updated DLL
>> An updated xusb.dll has been released for the X-Chip X-Control(info) - a win32 program that allows to flash and control some features over USB of the X-Chip modchip.
What's new/fixed:
* This driver will now close properly.
* This fixes rare issues of Xbox hanging after writing Bios's to X-Chip while inside Xbox.

Official Site: easybuy2000.com
Download:
DLL upgrade only = http://dwl.xbox-scen...atexcontrol.zip
X-Control + DLL upgrade = http://dwl.xbox-scen...stall_v1.01.zip
(September 6 02:09 GMT+1) -
Pages: [1] 2