xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbit 1.5 Format And Flash Verification Problem  (Read 172 times)

ezspooner

• Archived User
Xbit 1.5 Format And Flash Verification Problem
« on: May 07, 2005, 08:08:00 AM »

Hi
I just bought two xbit 1.5 chips and have tried to flash them with the evox 1.6 bios before installing them on a v1.6 xbox.

Initially, when i ran the software i got the 'missing comdlg32.ocx file' error which i fixed and i could then run the winxp flash software and i also found that i had to connected the chip to a USB port on the motherboard.

When i tried to format the chip, the program says 'format starting' but nothing appears to happen, i left it for 10 minutes and still no change.
i was able to select all of the partitions (i chose the 6 partition format) as if it had been formatted and the software appeared to be able to write and erase them (the 'starting format' message would change and go through the motions of the writing and erasing processes) i.e. the software hadn't crashed.

However, when i tried to varify the partitions, after i opened the bios to be verified, i got an 'error at 0x180000' message.

I then disconnected and reconnected the chip and it appeared to need formatting again.

I've tried on two computers and one laptop (all different pentium chipsets) and got exactly the same messages. i've successfully formatted and flashed an old version xbit chip with the v1.0 software on this same computer (P5 motherboard). Both of the new xbit 1.5 chips behaved in exactly the same way.

These are the assumptions i made
1) the xbit 1.5 chip can be flashed before installation to the xbox, with only the main board and USB and dipswitch board connected
2) the black and yellow cables are connected in the same way as the old version (i couldn't see any Y or B marks near the connectors on the main board of the chip)

Silentscream__

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

Your assumptions are correct - there are in fact Y and B letters to indicate where to plug in the cable though, just some genius from DMS decided to put black letters on a black background so you have to look really hard to see them.

Have you tried unplugging EVERY usb device on the PC you are using to flash the xbit with? That would include any USB mouse or keyboard - you will have to use PS/2 to flash.

ezspooner

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

thanks for the reply but there were no other usb devices plugged in to any of the computers i've tried it on.

I thought of testing the new chips in a v1.0 xbox using the pogopins (since i'm perfectly willing to accept my install on the 1.6 xbox could be the problem ) and the xbox fragged.  again the bioses couldn't be verified but another potential problem could be the allignment of the new chip's pogopins.  when compared to the xbit 1.0, the d0 pin on the xbit 1.5 is slightly further away from the LPC connectors.  If i find a minute at some point i might try the solder install on the v1.0 xbox but at this point i think that'll just be wasting my time.

I doubt i got sent two bad chips, but it's strange that they both behave in exactly the same way.  if the chips are good, then it's the computers, howver they work perfectly for the v1.0 chip and they recognize, connect and seem to do their part alright for the new chips.  so i'm guessing it's the software but i seem to be the only one with this problem.  i did find the same error code on a forum but it was in swedish and all the translators i've found offer a predominantly incoherent yet pretty comical translation attempt.

could it be do with the comdlg32.ocx file? or the .dll equivalent?  the oldest computer (and it is an archaic machine) i tried was runing xp but apparently already had the comdlg32.ocx file.  where does this file come from? from what i've read it is an older active x control.  could any other software be conlficting with it.  

i'm in the process of tracking down different windows versions to try and i may as well test them on every computer i can get any runtime on, do you think an athlon processor would make a differenc? different versions of zone-alarm were on the computers but i think that was the only common software running while i was trying to flash the chip.

zX_Storm

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:12:00 PM »

Make sure you're using the right program. There is 2 x-bit programs, 1 for 1.0, 1 for 1.5 (not to mention, for the os too, I believe). After that, plug the usb connector to the x-bit chip. Does the light turn on? If yes, success! If not, then it might not be tight enough, or making a connection (try wiggling it, sometimes it can cause problems). Alright, when the light turns on, open your 1.5 x-bit flashing program, and click connect. Does the light go off? If yes, success! You made a connection, and you should be fine from here on out. If not, then you're more than likely not using the right program. I ran into the same problems you did until I realized there were 2 different x-bit flashing programs smile.gif Anymore problems, feel free to reply.

This post has been edited by zX_Storm: May 11 2005, 06:13 AM

BoomerX01

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »

I am having the same issues as described above.  I am stuck as well, it will not connect to the 1.5 chip, and I have 2 as well.

ezspooner

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 02:24:00 AM »

Solution found for one of my chips.
i had copied over the comdlg32.ocx file but i found out that i needed to merge it into the registry library or something by typing in the follwoing command in the START => RUN command line.

regsvr32 \windows\system32\COMDLG32.OCX

this is the command for WinXP, i beleive there are other commands for older versions of windows.

This allowed one of the chips to be formatted properly and it verified correctly too.  although the other chip still gives me the same problem (although with an error at 0x140000' when i try to verify. i guess it has to be the chip so i'm in the process of returning that one.

BoomerX01: your going to have to be little more specific about what the problem is and what you've tried so far.