xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Another Success X-bit 1.5 Install On V1.6 Xbox  (Read 248 times)

YELLOW labrador Inu

• Archived User
Another Success X-bit 1.5 Install On V1.6 Xbox
« on: January 27, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »

Having modded my V1.6 XBOX (samsung RAM) a few days ago, I have only now made everything to work as I wanted.  Being my first time modding a XBOX it has been a bit of trial and error, choosing X-BIT didn't help much either  dry.gif (no thanks to Team DMS for their LACK of install instruction for us XBOX 1.6 owners).  So I thought I'd share my experience with everyone and clear up some issues I came across during my installation.

Let me get something out of the way first: This is based on my experience modding my box, and what I'm about to write is to the best of my knowledge so far.  Also try to finish this thread before you do anything.

I used the X-BIT 1.5 with 1.6 adapter, as far as I know this is the only way, if not the only EASY way of installing an X-BIT 1.5 on a V1.6 XBOX at this time.  Soldering is REQUIRED (no way out of it as of now mellow.gif, get some practice on an useless PCB if your soldering skill is, well, virtually non-existent ).

What you should get in the package (what I got at least):
-X-BIT mainboard
-USB remote board
-The yellow and black wire loom (for USB remote board)
-DVD power adaptor (has three ends, one end plugs into the DVD power socket on motherboard, one to DVD drive, and one end with black and red wire only goes onto X-BIT)
-Stripped wire loom (for soldering install on XBOX V1.5 and less, 11 wires, don't need this for V1.6 install)
-USB cable for your flashing pleasure biggrin.gif
-Screw, spacer washer, diode (I didn't get the diode in my package  unsure.gif )

And with the 1.6 adapter kit
-1.6 adapter board
-11 wire loom (to connect 1.6 board to X-BIT main board)
-9 wire stripped loom (this is what you solder onto the LPC)

Upon receiving my X-BIT chip I noticed on close inspection about 4~5 pairs of leg coming off various chips on the X-BIT main board is bridged with solder, at first I thought its another horror surprise from Team DMS, howevery the X-BIT turned out to work just fine so I assume it is supposed to be like that.  At this point you should flash your chip with the right BIOS (and before that, scour through xbox-scene and this forum!).

I flashed mine with EvoX M8+_16 , used Evtool 1.0.9 to change BIOS settings and format 5 on the X-BIT flasher.  Use the X-BIT flasher from Team DMS and CHOOSE THE RIGHT VERSION!!.  I used "XBIT15 flaher winxp" on Windows XP SP2 and to the contrary of some thread on this forum, I was able to flash my X-BIT with my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe mb with NVIDIA nForce2 chipset without any problem.  Although I had to disconnect all USB device on and flash backwards (bank 5, 4, 3, 2.. etc).  Verification sometimes return an error but the BIOS will still work.  Also flashing a bank tend to corrupt the previous bank (i.e. flash bank 4 and bank 3 is usually screwed, hence the backward flashing).

Having flashed your chip with the right BIOS, now comes the soldering.  Open up your XBOX and remove the motherboard.  First rebuild the LPC following the LPC rebuild diagram "A_XboX16_lpc_rebuild.jpg" found on Team DMS website.  Then take a good look at the adapter install diagram "xbit_adapterinstall_cmix.jpg".  As a few threads on this forum has already pointed out that the GREEN and BROWN wire need to be reversed.  At first I thought this only applies if your 9-wire loom is not the same as in "xbit_adapterinstall_cmix.jpg" (bottom left), but I found out this is not the case.  Try connect the 1.6 adapter with the supplied wiring loom and take a look at it (colour order of the wires, on the 11 wire loom 2nd from left on the diagram is GREEN 3rd is BROWN, this is reversed in the 9-wire loom, 2nd BROWN 3rd GREEN hence the need for reversing).  If it looks identical to that shown in "xbit_adapterinstall_cmix.jpg" then you WILL HAVE TO reverse the GREEN and BROWN wire during your installation.  By this I mean solder the BROWN wire to where it marked "3" in "xbit_adapterinstall_cmix.jpg", and GREEN wire to "2".   Follow the adapter install daigram for the rest 7 wires (1, 5~8, 10, 11).

Soldering done, pat your self on the back (if you did a good job soldering the points, that is wink.gif ).  Now plug everything on to where they are supposed to be (most wire looms are fool proof except for the YELLOW & BLACK that goes to the USB remote board, they only go in where they are supposed to go....unless you use brute force). Secure the X-BIT somewhere in the XBOX (on the metal shielding surrounding the internal of the BOX, or where ever you like).  MAKE SURE that you insulate the pogo pins and header pins properly so they don't short with anything.  Select the right BIOS bank with your dip switch and you should see a red/purple EvoX logo on the top left of your screen during boot up.  SUCCESS!!  tongue.gif

P.S.  I seem to be getting the green then red/green flash when using what seems like corrupted BIOS, and the famous 3x reboot than red/green flash FRAG symptom with an empty bank (one I just erased).  I can't say all 3x reboot is due to this but this is what I get.

P.P.S.  For goodness sake if any Team DMS member is reading this, write some instruction on you website for X-BIT!!!  This is YOUR product, no one knows it better than you.  I know you guys are busy with DMS4 and all but surely it can't take that long to write a few paragraphs.

YELLOW labrador Inu

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 07:07:00 PM »

Oh, by the way, my thanks goes to Xbox-scene and Xbox-scene forum.  Without which I would never have been able to successfully install the X-BIT!!

P@oL8

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 06:54:00 AM »

Hi!
Thanks to you, I hope you are right, because I'm trying in all ways to make work my xbit 1.5 on my xbox 1.6!!!
I discovered yesterday of this trouble and today I'm going to try to reverse the two wires!!
Please Read my post here:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?sho...ic=337644&st=60

I'm very angry and disappointed with DMS team! grr.gif

I hope to resolve this damned trouble!!! sad.gif
BYE

JungleBeat

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »

i posted this in another thread because i'm in need of help and wanted to make sure this post gets read....

I need some help with this LPC rebuild thing... I have no idea what it is you are all referring to and I've done searched and cannot find anything on it?  I have a v1.6 xbox and i've already soldered in the adapter but now i keep reading about this LPC rebuild and i've seen the screen shots but I have no idea what wires I am to be using?  can someone please point me in the right direction?

kenmaster

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 12:33:00 AM »

QUOTE(JungleBeat @ Mar 16 2005, 08:52 PM)
i posted this in another thread because i'm in need of help and wanted to make sure this post gets read....
I need some help with this LPC rebuild thing... I have no idea what it is you are all referring to and I've done searched and cannot find anything on it?  I have a v1.6 xbox and i've already soldered in the adapter but now i keep reading about this LPC rebuild and i've seen the screen shots but I have no idea what wires I am to be using?  can someone please point me in the right direction?

Go to radio shack and get a 50-Ft (15.2m) Insulated Wrapping Wire (30 gauge * Solid conductor).  Probably that's too much , but that's the only one they got I think.

JungleBeat

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 09:08:00 AM »

okay but i have another question.  the diagrams for rebuilding the lpc on the dms website have some color coding to the wires and are those supposed to correspond to the wires i soldered from the adapter to the top of the circuit board?

here is the diagram i was looking at

http://www.dms3.com/xbit/files/chips/XBit_...rebuild_1_6.rar

P@oL8

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 01:52:00 AM »

No junglebeat, the colours are not important:
you can use the wires with the same colour, don't worry!!!! biggrin.gif
bye