xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Do Not Give Up  (Read 400 times)

LooserX

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« on: October 03, 2003, 08:57:00 AM »

At last... after 2.5 h of hard work i succeded   :D
so to you all out there....    aligning is hard..   :P  

timbuktus

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 09:18:00 AM »

I got a question, is it true that I have to wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting power to open that box because of electricity danger?Thanks

moistness

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 09:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (timbuktus @ Oct 3 2003, 06:11 PM)
I got a question, is it true that I have to wait at least 15 minutes after disconnecting power to open that box because of electricity danger?Thanks

well i dont bother but there is a few large capacitors in the xbox that store some high volts, they wont kill you but they can pack a nasty punch!!

Ranger72

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (moistness @ Oct 3 2003, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE (timbuktus @ Oct 3 2003, 06:11 PM)

well i dont bother but there is a few large capacitors in the xbox that store some high volts, they wont kill you but they can pack a nasty punch!!

Don’t believe it. I lost a good friend about a weak ago because of that. One minute he was giggling like a little child with a new toy. Next thing I know he was looking like the roasted pig I saw at a BBQ. Let me tell you it was not a good sight. The smell was the worse part.  muhaha.gif

Back to the pogo pins. Why does people spend all that time fiddling with them? In less than 10 minutes you can solder the wires on.    

Arakon

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 05:24:00 PM »

eh.. except for the power supply, the xbox works entirely with voltages of 12 and under. none of that is gonna kill you. and to burn a human all over it takes a few kilovolt.

BattleTank

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 07:27:00 PM »

Yeah, but the power supply isn't isolated - take the cover off the motherboard, and you've got an uncovered PSU too.  Easy to say 'don't touch it', but then, no one *means* to touch it, do they...

Majin Buu

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (Ranger72 @ Oct 3 2003, 08:56 PM)
Quote from: moistness,Oct 3 2003, 06:15 PM

Don’t believe it. I lost a good friend about a weak ago because of that. One minute he was giggling like a little child with a new toy. Next thing I know he was looking like the roasted pig I saw at a BBQ. Let me tell you it was not a good sight. The smell was the worse part.  :evil:

Back to the pogo pins. Why does people spend all that time fiddling with them? In less than 10 minutes you can solder the wires on.

LMAO That probably just scared a half billion newbies into not opening their xboxes

LooserX

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

wink.gif   Good question...
Because we cant soder at all....  I rather work 2.5 h aligning the chip than ruin my Xbox in 10 min   biggrin.gif   ( Allready done that  sad.gif   in a previous attempt to mod )

I hope i didn´t scare anyone not to solder...  Soldering is better than pogopins, but I AM NOT the man to do it   blink.gif

triple_s

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2003, 03:02:00 AM »

QUOTE (BattleTank @ Oct 4 2003, 04:20 AM)
Yeah, but the power supply isn't isolated - take the cover off the motherboard, and you've got an uncovered PSU too.  Easy to say 'don't touch it', but then, no one *means* to touch it, do they...

I work on computer systems alot, and i am confident in working with them (even working inside the PSU its self). I have NEVER electrocuted myself, but unscrewing the xbox was a bit unnerving because of how close the screw are to the PSU board. I kept having a vision in my head of the screw driver melting to the PSU, or my hand clipping the huge cap on the board, and it just turning all black and flaking off. yummy.

I managed it though! yay, im a survivor. As the first dude said, NEVER give up. And as a battery once told me, NEVER say die!

Softco

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2003, 05:08:00 AM »

Heh, I'm 13 and I installed the pogo's for my X2... never electrocuted myself, and I just did a bad flash, fixed it wit my programmer, still no shocks.  Even did my friends box, didn't shock myself.  :rolleyes:  

Insurgo

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2003, 09:28:00 AM »

I aligned the d0 point first time, but what I did was instead of following the instructions on the XBIT website I put the spacer over the screwhole, put the chip on, then put the screw in just enough to hold the chip in while still being able to rotate it. It was really easy this way cuz once I had the pogos in the LPC it just seemed to align itself with the d0.

Scan-C

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2003, 09:39:00 AM »

to be save unplug the powercable (do this always!!!) and then press the power button. this unloads the big capacitor on the psu and you will see the 70 mm fan in the back move for 1-2 secs.

that's the safest way. but there is nothing inside the xbox that could kill you or even burn your whole body.

prplehz

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2003, 05:06:00 PM »

wink.gif

Ranger72

• Archived User
Do Not Give Up
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2003, 06:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (prplehz @ Oct 7 2003, 02:06 AM)
Amps kill not Volts.   wink.gif

Tell that to my poor toasted friend. There is still a dark spot of the floor where it happened.  sad.gif  Can’t get the shit cleaned up and the smell just won’t go away.

Next time I have my new friend open up my box it will be outside. That way the smell won’t bother me so bad.