xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Advantages Of A Hardmod Vs Softmod?  (Read 18 times)

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
Advantages Of A Hardmod Vs Softmod?
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »

To see the advantages and disadvantages of softmods and modchips, look over the pinned topics at the top of this forum.

QUOTE(synergyID @ Feb 18 2006, 11:41 AM) View Post
Would a mod-chipped xbox be able to function as a mediacenter more smoothly?  Better HDTV support?  Faster loading times?  Tell me your opinion.

PS. Which mod-chip has the best HDTV support? Or does it not make a difference?
Your Xbox will physically function in the same way if it was softmodded versus if it had a modchip installed.

A modchip will not lower loading times, or unlock new audio/video output modes.

MMXMonster

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

The both do the exactly the same thing... they just do it in different ways.

Modchip is a hardware device that bypasses the MS Bios and supplants its own.
Softmod is software based, it loads a patched bios.

They both, run the same software no better or worse. You don't get better visuals or performance from either one.

Softmods tend to be cheaper in the setup costs, but you can get in a lot of trouble if you do it wrong and could be put into a position that you would require a modchip to fix it anyways.

Modchips require a bit of technical skill, and can be expensive depending of the chip you choose.

Don't bother asking which chip to buy as the topic will get closed quicker than Chaney can reload a rifle... look around, read the pinned topics at the top of the forum and then based on your needs and money available make a decision.

.:Dino:.

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »

this has been answered tooo many times, please search next time.

both hard mods and softmods are just different ways to allow unsigned code to be run.
there is no difference in performance between a softmodded and hardmodded xbox.
the advantage of a hardmod is ease of recovery and hdd installation, with a hardmod you can mess with the files all you want and you can just boot a recovery disc no matter what.
the advantage of a softmod is that you dont void the warranty.

simple as that its choice. i personally prefer hard mods, but i love to just play around with things and if i screw up i can recover easily, if you just want a modded xbox, xbmc, backups etc, then perhaps you should look at softmodding.

synergyID

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »

Thank you for the comments. Sorry if this has been asked before.  I think I will go with a hardmod X3 chip and XBMC.