xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ack... I'm A Total Newbie...  (Read 576 times)

Avrame

• Archived User
Ack... I'm A Total Newbie...
« on: December 05, 2002, 09:00:00 PM »

Hi all.  I was shopping with my mom recently and she left me pick my christmas present this year.  I narrowed it down to a digi camera or an XBOX with controler s and JSRF and sega 2002.  well, of course i got the xbox, or i wouldn't be here.  I was wondering if the xecutor modchip would be a good choice for me, because the main reasons i want a modchip is so i would be able to load my xbox with mp3's, and anime avi's.  I already noticed with my cousin's xbox and myfriends that it wouldn't accept cdrs or cdrws, so i'm wonder if installing a modchip would do help?  I also see all of this softwares for download like x box media player, which allows it to play divx files and stuff.  you need a modchip to install those things right?  and last but not least, how big is the xbox harddrive?  I see pages on how to add a bigger harddrive and such, so does that mean that the HDD is incredibly small? like how many GBs is it?  and are you able to manage the HDD and delete old things like mp3s or what have you?

Thank you all for all of your help.
AvramE                                    

CentroniX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2002, 09:29:00 PM »

In the amount of time it took you to sign up to this forum, you could have went to the tutorials page, http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php, and answered your own questions.  Do some research!  :D

A stock X-Box comes with an 8GB drive (some reports of 10GB).  You can NOT use CD-RW's until your box is modded.  You can NOT swap to a bigger hard drive without a mod chip.

XBox Media Player, X-Mame, xSnes9x, etc., etc., all require you to be able to run unsigned code.  Guess what it takes to run unsigned code?  A MOD CHIP!

Once you are modded, YES, you can manage your filesystem using applications such as boXplorer, or by FTP'ing to your X-Box using Evolution-X.

Hopefully that answers your initial questions.  Is the X-ecuter right for you?  That depends...  Do you have a need to flash the BIOS?  Can you solder?  Is the X-Box you got a version 1.0 or 1.1 (again, refer to the tutorials to determine this).  If it's a 1.1 box, Sorry, No X-ecutor for you!

Now, grab the mouse and start clicking and reading!  :D  Don't at all mean to flame you, but every question you have, and questions you have not even thought of are already outlined on this site...

cent                                    

Avrame

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2002, 10:32:00 PM »

Hey thanks alot CentroniX, i took no offense to your post whatsoever, i found it quite informative ^_^'

neways, i took a look at some other modchips and decided to look into the Matrix modchip.  I read the tutorials and didn't find any topics relating to my questions this time ^_^' or at least i think... Well, about the matrix, i read that it has 4 modes, basically they are:

Disable
Override bios
boot with other bios, eject to use original bios
update via dvd rom

What i'm wondering this time is that they mention having to look at the LED to check how the xbox is running,  but what confuses me is that they talk aobut how you should notice that the led color changes for mode 3 when you use the original bios.  By that, does it mean that your xbox should be open at all time when using this modchip?  or does that mean it should be open for testing then closed when set to your desired mode.  I'm also wondering if you eject and use the original bios, will it be safe to play xbox live?  because it booted up with the false bios, so would MS somehow detect that?

Thanks once again!
Avrame                                    

mickey123

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 12:42:00 AM »

You don't have to leave your xbox open.  Once you have it aligned you can close your box.