xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Creating 120gig Hd From Scratch!?  (Read 70 times)

Zuldo

• Archived User
Creating 120gig Hd From Scratch!?
« on: October 25, 2004, 07:38:00 PM »

OK,

I have tried many xbox related things, but found out i have the Thompson DVD-Rom... so scratch any boot off Evox CD Ideas.

I have xboxhdm 1.9 and have burnt it to CD.
Booted up on my pc with my Emtpy 120 GB HDD.  When i do the create new HD it oes through and "installs" everything on C and E ( the files that i took out of the retial HD that i already have softmodded)

I Then tried putting it into my xbox and running it.... no such luck

Part 2

I then decided to give "Copy existing HDD"

I put the 120 GB HDD in my PC along with me 8 GB Retail HDD.  For some reason, when i start loading the Linux files it causes some error ( i think it has something to do with reading error)  Also in my PC's bios it only reads that there is a 120 on my computer:   (Both jumpers are set on CS)

Can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong????

I do not believe that i am coying the right files into the C and E folders prior to burning them onto the linux boot cd.  

Can someone who has done this please help me.

And yes i read the XBOXHDM FOR DUMMIES v.1.7 about 20 times.....

X-ECUTIONER

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »

wink.gif Get a hold of slayers 2.6 instead and use that to format your hdd as well as installing the dash and apps biggrin.gif

Zuldo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »

heres the thing. I have the Slayers disc on CD-RW, but when i put my new HD ( completly empty) into my xbox it gives me the "your xbxo needs service" thing.  And even with the Slayers in there it wont boot to cd no matter how many times i turn my xbox on and off...

also i booted to my Retail Xbox HD and loaded the Slayers disc....  Then hotswapped to my 120 GB HDD and it formatted the C, E, F, G, H, X, Y, and Z drives, THen it is supposed to instal the fiels but jsut says DONE.   Then if i go and try running the Apps install it says DONE the second after i hit it... Is something keeping me from installing onto the HD???   The jumper is set to exactly waht the Retail HD is set at (CS)

BTW my 120 gig HD is Western Digital   Just like the Retail one.

Zuldo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »

Bump

Zuldo

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »

Can anyone help me???

CamdogXIII

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:07:00 PM »

What Bios are u using?

Zuldo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 12:09:00 PM »

I got the files taht i put on the linux boot cd from the Slayers 1.6 Evox Installer ( and i also tried it with the files directly from my Retail xbox whcih has Evox M8 on it( installed with the Slayers Ato Installer)

CamdogXIII

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 12:13:00 PM »

If it's retail then it doesn't have m8 on it. Unless u mean ur hdd then it doesn't have m8 on it ur Modchip does.

Zuldo

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

I softmodded my RETAIL hard drive.  and it works perfectly.  so now  i am trying to get a 120 gig HD wrking in there.   The Retail has M8 on it.

Even if my xbox is softmodded shouldnt the xboxhdm1.9 work??? it puts stuff ont eh HD but never works when i put it i nmy xbox.

I already figured out that the xbox wont boot to cd unless i get a chip.

Mikebotz

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

You can not boot an x-box that is not locked and not modded.

If you have access to a mod chip then use that to do your work.

Did you make have sure that the new HDD is lockable?

Without a mod chip in your box it is a bit of a pain to do it.

I remember doing something lake that, but I think I used a mod chip to copy the soft modded X-box files to the new drive.

If you have access to a modded X-box;

Copy files to your pc from your soft modded X-box.

Backup the EPROM on your X-box and the modded x-box and copy them both to your pc.

Unlock the modded x-boxes HDD

Hook up your new drive to a modded X-box and boot of an evoX cd of something that gives you ftp access. (4th Gen modchip with FTp Access)

Copy all your files back to the new Hdd (assumming it’s already formatted correctly) and flash the x-box EPROM with your EPROM

You will still have to lock the new drive with your X-box EPROM

Not the modded x-box original EPROM

Test the new drive in your x-box.

Reflash the modded x-boxes EPROM with the original and then relock his drive for him.

This is tricky, cause if a mistake is made it is hard to recover from it, that’s why I say to unlock modded x-boxes Hdd.  If you don't you will not be able to boot from his hdd with your EPROM on it.  The Hdd lock code is dependant on the EPROM.

A xenium ice chip will do a 1 to 1 copy for you; all you have to do then is lock the HDD with the keys that are provided with your EPROM not the one from the modded x-box.

Can someone double check this to make sure I didn't leave anything important out?

If your not to far I can do it for you if you can't get it done, PM me

Even a cheap Aladdin live chip for $20 will make it real easy.  Pin header install that makes it is easy to remove the chip and 2 wires to solder for most boxes (4 if you want the led feature)

Good luck......

Zuldo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »

Thank you, i think i fixed my locking problem, and if this thing im about ot try doenst work i will take your advice.  Thanks so much

Mikebotz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 08:32:00 PM »

Your Welcome