xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: .:: Ftp Networking Xbox And Pc ::.  (Read 326 times)

Xombe

• Archived User
.:: Ftp Networking Xbox And Pc ::.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2004, 12:07:00 AM »

newuser

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »

smile.gif.

Obviously M$ has made the opening of the Xbox as hard as possible... I'll most probably buy the two separate screwdrivers because I don't need a whole tool set anyway.

About the soldering wire... The Xenium installation manual says that for a pin header installation one requires 1/2 ounce rosin-core 0.032" solder (RS#64-017). I'll go for it. The guide also says that one needs 30AWG wrapping wire (RS#278-501) which costs $3.29.

As for the soldering needle... I'll buy it from Bulgaria because we use different voltage and power outlet. I know I can buy a power converter and use it at home but after all it's just a soldering iron which can be bought anywhere in the world, right? smile.gif

thewickedjester

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

yeah, just make sure the soldering iron you get is low voltage (like 15 volts) and has a very very very fine point (it makes the whole process a lot easier)

X3rules

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »

http://www.radioshac...a..._id=64-2986

Its got the 10-15-20 torx.  $14.99 (US)
user posted image

This set below at Radio Shack only has the T-10 (I bought this one and had to take it back)

user posted image

thewickedjester

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2004, 08:16:00 PM »

or... you could spend like 3 bucks and just get the torx 10 and 20

zhk

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »

*url removed* wont let me link oh well

and u can get them cheaper

X3rules

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2004, 10:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (thewickedjester @ Sep 18 2004, 04:19 AM)
or... you could spend like 3 bucks and just get the torx 10 and 20

Makes sense.  I looked all over and couldn't find them seperately.  They've got to sell them but I checked Manards and Home Depot and no luck.  I got tired of looking and figured Radio Shack was close by the mall.  You could probably order online and wait three weeks for them to show up!

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2004, 01:08:00 AM »

rolleyes.gif

newuser

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2004, 05:44:00 PM »

OK people. I've got to make a choice and I've got to make it fast. I have exactly 4 weeks of stay here in the US so I must have the items delivered to me as soon as possible and *BEFORE* I leave this country. I can buy either the tool set from RadioShack for $14.99 or I can buy the two separate Torx 10/20 screwdrivers for under $12 with shipping. I will not pay any shipping tax for the too set because RadioShack offers free shipping for orders over $25.

X3rules, what do you mean by "I got tired of looking and figured Radio Shack was close by the mall. You could probably order online and wait three weeks for them to show up!"? Do you want to say that I'll have to wait 3 weeks to get the items delivered?

Should I buy all the stuff I need: soldering wire, desoldering braid, wire, grounding wrist strap and screwdrivers from RadioShack or should I buy any of the Torx drivers from a different place?

X3rules

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2004, 09:16:00 PM »

"I got tired of looking and figured Radio Shack was close by the mall. You could probably order online and wait three weeks for them to show up!"

Just that I was trying to find the T-10,T-15,T20 seperately but got tired of looking.  I should of checked out the set from Sears.  That looks really good.  

This is the most practical set you can order at Sears which looks just like the ones
Xombe linked to.  You could probably order online from your home country, I'm sure Sears ships all over the world.
http://www.sears.com...pid=00930527000

Can't beat the price for $4.99 !

user posted image

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2004, 03:32:00 AM »

wink.gif), pay the extra for express shipping.  But trust me, where you are located in the States is near major shipping hubs for many, many companies.

So for peace of mind, get it all from RS.  Hello, the driver set may be useful for some other project in the future.

To review:

Driver set: OK
Solder: OK
Wick/braid: (a good idea), and OK
Wrist strap: (up to you, I've never used/needed one simply by being careful, but for the price, what the hell!) and OK
Wire: OK
Needle/pencil:  Getting it back home (Bulgaria) so it don't matter now.

End of discussion! biggrin.gif

P.S..  G, keep in touch here or like before so we can stay connected once you get back to Bulgaria (I haven't replied to your email yet, but you have some proper information, a few things that need clarification).

newuser

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2004, 03:37:00 PM »

smile.gif. I'll do exactly as you said. I will order all items from RadioShack with standard ground shipping. By the way I have taken off the HDD of my PC many times with a magnetic screwdriver smile.gif. No problems so far... We'll keep in touch of course. I will make the order tonight most probably. And one more question which is a little bit off-topic... Has somebody played Doom 3 on Xbox and if yes, how does the Xbox perform in terms of graphics and speed on this game?

Xombe

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 09:32:00 PM »

laugh.gif ).  So I've always just been paranoid (PTSD, I guess).

Next: Doom 3 is due out (in the U.S. ) on Oct. 16.  But from what has been said (it will be fully enjoyable on the box. Not as pretty and high res as on the PC (which matters less cause an NTSC TV only has so many scan lines to work with anyway).  Point is, D3 was developed, basically from the ground up, to run on both the PC and the XBOX (meaning it won't be a crappy PC version port, but rather heavily optimized for the box as well).

newuser

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »

smile.gif. I read an article about the game. According to the preview the game code has been optimized to the max and some hidden undocumented instructions for XGPU have been discovered. Due to the memory size of Xbox however, the Doom 3 levels had to be minimized in size but overall that hasn't made the game less enjoyable. Do you know if there is such a thing as "poor framerate" in any Xbox game? Because I think that since the game developers are still making new games the Xbox potential hasn't reached its limit, is it?

And I was wondering... Do you feel uncomfortable with the thumbsticks when playing 3D shooters because I find the mouse and keyboard combo a much more approapriate controller. I still can't get used to them even though I heard from a long-time Xbox player that he finds the joystick very suitable for aiming at enemies. Your opinion?

newuser

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2004, 08:50:00 PM »

biggrin.gif .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4