xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "wal-mart Swap"  (Read 161 times)

Eventide

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« on: July 05, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »

I have a fried xbox and have been thinking about buying a new one from walmart. replacing the fried innards in my box with the good innards from the new box, and then taking the now-fried new box back to walmart.

I don't really have the money to buy a new box without returning it, but have any of you done that or do any of you have any comments about it?

shanafan

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 07:08:00 PM »

Mods, please send this topic straight to the garbage bin. This is dishonest. You mess up your Xbox, take it like a man.

novaisgod

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »

try it  and let us know

Eventide

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 07:26:00 PM »

this is dishonest yet modifying an xbox and playing pirated games isn't?

novaisgod

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »

this is dishonest yet modifying an xbox and playing pirated games isn't?

Eventide

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 07:55:00 PM »

actually I only fried the dvd-drive, but I got a sammy 616T working

but now my harddrive times out when I turn it on, so the drive died on its own (I havent touched anything but the dvd drive)

so for those saying I messed it up and I should live with it, kiss my hairy buttox

Eventide

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 08:36:00 PM »

I'm no psychic, so I can't say for sure.  My X-Box was refurb, so the drive couldve been through a lot, beats me.

What I do know, is that i broke the DVD Drive, and put money into fixing it.  And now the hard drive is broken, and I've never even touched that.

Either way I don't care, I know what I want to do is wrong, I'm not trying to justify it.  I'm just trying to see what you guys think.  It's nice that some of you think its wrong, but don't get all holier-than-thou on me, what I'm doing would be ripping off the company.  However, mod-chips are built for basically ripping off the company too.  Unless you're using your xbox for linux, chances are you pirate games, be them emulated SNES games or xbox games you rented and put on your hard drive.

Any more thoughts?

rahula

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »

That fuck up system sometimes went to some store like gamestop or eb then resell as refurbished to poor kids who saved all allowance inorder to get one refurb system. I have seem some kids bought that knid of system and can't play LIVE cuz their system was busted. Please don't do that guys. What goes around ,comes around.  mad.gif

ChrisF

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2003, 09:39:00 PM »

Ebay has xbox parts and cheap harddrives all the time as does the Buy/Sell forum here.

Keep in mind that what you are suggesting is fraud.  There are two issues - a big store like Walmart might be less likely to catch you but they have the funds, time, and interest to see you punished as an example if you are unlucky and they choose to press charges.

From someone who did a fair amount of bad stuff when they were younger and who does not lose sight of the fact that he would not be in the career he is now if not for alot of luck, it's not worth risking a criminal record and people do get caught.

Pheonix

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2003, 10:28:00 PM »

*cough* i read the idea of doing this on this forum but it wasn't the topic.
the stickers aren't really too big of a deal

not something to make a habit of, but not a bad way of repairing parts

as the person said "let M$ fix it"

bb07

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2003, 10:31:00 PM »

cool.gif

Eventide

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 10:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (rahula @ Jul 6 2003, 06:04 AM)
That fuck up system sometimes went to some store like gamestop or eb then resell as refurbished to poor kids who saved all allowance inorder to get one refurb system. I have seem some kids bought that knid of system and can't play LIVE cuz their system was busted. Please don't do that guys. What goes around ,comes around.  mad.gif

i'm sure it'd be tested and theyd find out that its broken before it ends up as a refurb

but yeah, I saved up my paycheck and bought an xbox and now the harddrive is fried

if it already came around, why not send it back

Oh and I'd love to just purchase another HD to fix it, but my system isn't modded

So far the only person with any valid point is ChrisF

btw:  I too heard of the idea on this forum

Vipernig

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2003, 08:48:00 AM »

Don't do it. It is not something to be pround of. You say you have a Samsung 616T right. Is it modded to be a fully compatible xbox DVD reader??? If yes then you are in good position.

I have a feeling that you fucked your stuff because of a magnetized screw driver. Never ever ever use that.

Now what i suggest you do is intall and executer, it isn't hard. Flash it with the ozx method. No hard either. Then directly install a new HD(120Gb preferably). Then run evox, and format you hd with the FTP raw command method. very easy and you just follow the intructions on the tutorial in this site. If you have backups of C and E then you are all set.

Bottom line, don't do a walmart swap if the only thing that is fried is your HD.

ChrisF

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (FIREitUP @ Jul 6 2003, 05:55 PM)
actually i just called walmart, and they said they NO LONGER RETURN XBOX'S!!!!!  I'm guessing its because all of you people who have been sending them fucked up xbox's that you fucked up LOL AHAHAH!! oh well theres always kmart smile.gif

I am guessing the 5 page Walmart thesis in the other Chip forum on how to defraud and rip off big business didn't help much.  This site has gotten way too loose with the stuff they allow.  

The whole scene is getting a lot more attention with the new hacks and people trying to get a job at MS for hacking their stuff (sounds like extortion to me but I personally I think that people are so caught up in this crap that they just can't appreciate what they have, keep their mouths shut, and enjoy their lives).  MS's rules up till now have been fairly easy - don't run unsigned code through a bootleg bios while on XBLive and don't copy games (admittedly some have found ways arround the last one and MS is making it harder but it isn't hugely hurting them).  I think MS is playing fair with the hackers and modders in this as they simply protect their business model and allow you to do whatever else you want.  Now that people are blatantly screwing with them I don't know how much longer it will be till there are major changes.

Oh well, good things come to an end and it's usually because of people's predilection to run their mouth when they shouldn't.

vidgms4me

• Archived User
"wal-mart Swap"
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2003, 11:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Jul 5 2003, 11:08 PM)
Mods, please send this topic straight to the garbage bin. This is dishonest. You mess up your Xbox, take it like a man.

I second this.  Threads like this aren't exactly helping the modding community.

Lock this someone. (Wow, like the 50th thread this month I've seen that needs to be locked).
Pages: [1] 2