xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What Is Freenet And Frost?  (Read 1115 times)

fierodough

• Archived User
What Is Freenet And Frost?
« on: January 10, 2004, 01:57:00 AM »

How do I setup FreeNet on a MS-Router? I am forwarding port: 13655 to my internal ip, but still not working. (can't upload files or download or find boards.. sad.gif )

Anyone have all the steps I need to folow with my router?

Cheers!

krazeekboy805

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

i downloaded both of these files, but when i go to install freenet, it just keeps installing over and over.  when i go to install frost, it unzips, but there is no exe file.  <

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

For help setting up routers or getting through your firewall the best place to turn is the freenet support list:

Submit or subscribe here:
http://mail.freenetproject.org/mailman/lis...stinfo/support/

Read the archive here:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.network.freenet.support

Both freenet and frost are written in java. The freenet download is just the installer/net-downloader. After Freenet is installed you can use the exe in windows or you can start it with the .jar file

For frost just unzip the files to what ever directory you want, then run the frost.jar file (a java executable)  <

mplsdeadhead92

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 07:29:00 AM »

Are these tools compatible with Java2  <

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (mplsdeadhead92 @ Jan 28 2004, 04:18 PM)
Are these tools compatible with Java2

These tools use the latest Java available from www.java.com
If you dont have java installed already the freenet web installer will automatically install if for you before installing freenet  <

Label2021

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (krazeekboy805 @ Jan 10 2004, 08:41 PM)
i downloaded both of these files, but when i go to install freenet, it just keeps installing over and over.  when i go to install frost, it unzips, but there is no exe file.

The java file is your exe file. I believe you need the JAVA runtime environment installed for Frost to work

100 kbps is a good download speed? That is like 12 KBps which isnt too great. But I wont worry, im not going to use this program anyways.

~Label  <

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »

I never get the difference, so Ill just say 0.1Mbps  <

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 06:17:00 AM »

Frost was recently changed to Frost-WOT (web of trust) so it no longer automatically finds boards. There is currently a board on frost called "xbins" (no quotes) started by another frost user. To get to this board right click on the boards list and select add a new board and type in xbins . It may take awhile for frost to find msgs and files from other users.

Freenet users have been experiencing download rates upwards of 100kbps with well established nodes (freenet nodes running at least 1 week).

Also if you publish any files to frost in the uploads section be sure to right click on the file and select upload now.

Freenet needs more ppl to donate more harddrive space. If you install freenet it only defaults to sharing 256mb. This is not enough for freenet to thrive. Please increase the amount of shared disk space to at least 1GB or 2x the the size of the larges file you plan to download (which ever is greater).

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 10:00:00 AM »

What is Freenet?

Freenet is a completely anonymous protocol that allows anyone to publish and download anything they want with complete anonymity.

Ok, so what is Frost?

Frost is a is much like a usenet bulliten board, except it is completely free and anonymous. Frost runs on the freenet network and requires freenet to be running to work.

Uhh, so why do I care?

Anything you are looking for can potentially be downloaded on frost (as long as someone has posted it). And unlike usenet, you dont have to pay a monthy access fee and there are no download limit. Better yet, no one can even know what you download (or post)

Ok, I downloaded Freenet and Frost. What now?

Install freenet and frost.
Then start freenet.
Start frost.
Go to the little I buttion in the blue cirlce in frost and look for the xbox board, click on it then click Add Board.
Click on the options, and select "auto update boards"
It may take awhile before you see any messages as frost searches the freenet network. Once you see some msgs you can download the file ppl have attached. Or you can go to the search tab and do a search for *. This will show you all the files that are available, click on what you want and download it.

I tried that but I cant find the board (or I cant find any files). Now what?

It may take some time for your frost node to discover the xbox board. You can help this by adding other boards. You can also right click on the freenet rabit icon in the tool tray and select "open freenet gateway" This will open in your internet browser. On the gateway you will find links to some freenet sites. Click on the TFE link, which will bring you to a page with links to hundreds of other freenet site.

Ok, why do I need to do all that?

The thing about freenet is that it performs better the longer you have it running and the more you use it. That is because it has to discover the other nodes on the network.

Freenet is slow, why dont I just use edonkey, irc, or usenet?

Freenet is completely anonymous. If you upload or download on edonkey, irc, kazza, or usenet, people can know what you are uploading/downloading and who you are. Using freenet/frost you can be confident that your anonymity is protected.

Usenet cost money! Freenet/Frost is FREE!

Freenet isnt really that slow and it gets better the longer it runs and the more you use it. Plus, if a large number of the people on the xbox-scene move there it will be very fast for the files of interest

Ok, Im trying to download a file I found but it wont download?

You didnt actually find the file, you found the key. The file may not be on the network any longer. The more popular a file is the longer it stays on the network and the easier it is to get (and faster)

Ok, I like Freenet/Frost (or at least the idea) what can I do to make it better?

In order to make freenet perform better for you (and everyone else) you can do a few things:

If you have an always on connection, right click on the freenet icon, and go to setup. Click "static node". If you do this though you should not turn your computer or freenet off!!!

You can also increase the amount of space you give to freenet. HD memory is cheap, so be generous. Freenet uses everyones hardrives on the network as a large distributed server and needs space to store the files you want to download. The larger freenet is the longer files will last on freenet and the easier they will be to get. The files that freenet stores on your computer are only parts of whole files and they are encrypted, so you cannot know what they are and thus cannot be held responsible for them.

Maybe, most importantly, people need to upload files and spread the word about freenet and frost (feel free to copy my sig to help spread the word).

Also, both freenet and frost are open source, so if you are a talented programer you can feel free to help the development, or you could donate a little money to the developers.

Is there any spyware or adware in either freenet or frost

NO, absolutely not. Unlike kazza, morpheus, and edonkey, there is no spyware or adware in either freenet or frost.                                    

gnutellafan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2002, 02:55:00 PM »

Ok, so I have Freenet and Frost running. How do I get files?

You may have to let Frost run for awhile before it finds a decent number of files available. You can see how many files are available by clicking on the blue "i" button. The last column, the one with the files header, is the number of files that are available on the board.

Now go to the search tab while the board of interest is highlighted. Type *, then hit enter. This will search for all files on the board. Now highlight the files you want, right click, and select download selected keys.

Go to the downloads tab to watch your progress.

The more popular a file is the longer and more prevelent it will be on the network. If its not downloaded it will disipate from the network. If you try downloading something, but cant get it, post a request on the board for the file(s) to be re-uploaded.

Dont expect one or two ppl to do all of the uploading. Everyone needs to help by putting good files up.