xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Networking your Xbox (the best guide so far...)  (Read 1687 times)

robertgdean86

• Archived User
Networking your Xbox (the best guide so far...)
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »

dry.gif  No its not a good job because I can't get a network link up...  dry.gif

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2003, 10:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (robertgdean86 @ Oct 24 2003, 04:40 PM)
I was woundering if you could help me out please! I got my xbox modded and Evox installed by a bloke at a computer fair, so I didnt do it by myself using a network cable. Im trying to network the xbox with the chip (X-Ecuter 2.2) and copy of evox (V1.8.3752) and Im having difficulty! Im getting very frustrated as Ive tried so many methods and I understand how ips work etc. I cant get the xbox past the stage of realising its connected with a computer I have an Ethernet MAC Address, but it says No Link thus I have no ip being received by the xbox! Im using an ethernet adaptor port (which is connected to the motherboard) and a crossover RJ45 cable into the back of xbox. I have had the cable tested and it works a ok. Tho the LAN connection settings on the PC says "Network Cable Unplugged" and as I said the xbox doesnt even realise its plugged in "No Link!" Unfortunatly thats as far as I've got and Im woundering what exactly Im doing wrong and debating whether or not I need 2 re instal Evox or if its something to do with the pc!
Please can you help me thanks very much

start your own thread with this, it'll be better served and don't worry i'll find it and reply.  No link on xbox and your pc (network cable unplugged) should be easy to figure out.   Either you have a bad cable, your computer nic isn't loading its driver or stack etc., or the xbox has setup network = no in evox.ini.  maybe even check if skipif no link is there and set it to no.

robertgdean86

• Archived User
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »

Thanks for your reply biggrin.gif , Im glad to hear the solution should be easy! Im getting  fustrated with it as I no its something and nothing! I've had the cable checked so its not that and "Skip if no link" is set to no.  I m not sure how to check if Network = no to see if the problem is to do with Evo... uhh.gif How would I go by solving the pc probs side of things if it was that, where would I start?? I actually bought a new nic card and tryed that, exactly the same thing happened  sad.gif

MistaBalls

• Archived User
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »

7MB per sec!!! I love this board.  biggrin.gif

Laaaaaaaates.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2003, 03:21:00 PM »

Sometime within the next week I'll update the troubleshooting section more with things to go over and verify if you are having problems.  I've been trying to keep tabs on all ftp issues posted and their resolutions (besides stupid human error) and they'll make it in my guide to help others hopefully.  Once again, if you have any suggestions please post 'em.

shredhead69

• Archived User
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2003, 08:24:00 PM »

THANK YOU X-S Freak!  That tutorial was awesome.  Thank you for adding the troubleshooting details.  I had been hung up on an incorrect subnet and didn't know how to handle it (linksys wireless routers assign 192.168.1.x instead of 192.168.0.x).  As for one guy having the problem of not having a video out cable attached, it is vital.  You'll notice the on light flashes orange instead of solid green.  I had that problem too because my TV is in another room and I brought the XBOX in for a trial without the bridge using cables to connect.  You don't have to have the TV connected, but you do have to have the cables connected.

I know other people have done it, but no one specifically tells you what to do and what equipment.  So for the record, I networked my PC to my 802.11b Linksys wireless router (via cat5 cable, of course) and then used the Linksys wireless bridge (802.11b also) and attached the XBOX to the bridge.  I used the directions provided with the bridge for configuration of the bridge.  Then, I connected the XBOX to my router via cable using your directions to make sure everything was set up properly before trying it on the wireless network.  I have an internet connection using DHCP, but assigned a static IP for the XBOX per X-S Freaks directions.  Once I got it working via cables, you must unplug the xbox and restart the PC.  Then plug in the bridge and make sure you see two green lights.  When you plug in the xbox and turn it on, you should then see three green lights.  If not, check your bridge configuration or possibly you have bad reception.  I was really surprised at how moving my bridge two feet made all the difference.  Originally, I got it working and thought it was great, but it was sometimes working and sometimes not.   I couldn't figure it out.  It was simply bad reception.  Now I get fast transfers and works 100% of the time.  I think big TV's can screw with the reception, so try moving a few more feet away from the TV.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2003, 06:12:00 AM »

Cool man glad it helped.  Maybe i'll add some things about wireless, options you have and troubleshooting, seems to be something people want more and more.

Testament69

• Archived User
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2003, 05:30:00 PM »

What is a NIC or where do I find it or its settings on my PC?

bapski

• Archived User
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2003, 06:46:00 PM »

i have tried to follow the tutorial to the letter but  how come i cant connect? am sure am using a cross-over cable, i bought another one from bestbuy just  to be sure... i cant ping the xbox, and i get either a connection failed error or connection denied something....

wonder what is wrong...

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2003, 04:27:00 AM »

you have any firewalls running?  if you can't ping don't bother even trying to connect with ftp.  You might want to start your own thread and post all your details so more people will chime in and help.

dinokathy

• Archived User
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2003, 11:48:00 AM »

Very nicely done mrRobinson.  I know a thing or two about computers and was having a time with my ftp program wsFTP. It wouldnt copy over the subdirectories properly. I got FlashFXP and that was it. Solved my problems. Thanks for the tut.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2003, 01:47:00 PM »

**Guide UPDATED**

• Added other ways to connect section
  • Added wireless details
  • Added some configuration examples for MXM
  • Minor updates throughout

As always the latest version is maintained in .pdf format hosted at chefelf's site which is linked to in the guide.  
Please let me know of any errors/corrections or any additions you can think of.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]