xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Should I Get A 7200pm Hard Drive?  (Read 215 times)

shtewps

• Recovered User
Should I Get A 7200pm Hard Drive?
« on: February 14, 2004, 01:14:00 PM »

so u gonna show us how to do that case mod or what :) :)

yousty

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:08:00 AM »

I think I'm having troubles with an overheating xbox but i'm not sure.  One morning I went to turn on my xbox and it did the flash green trying to boot sequence three times and then it went to the blinking red light.  I messed with it for a little bit but had no luck.  I then opened it up to make sure that the modchip was still connected at all solder points and everything checked out fine, so then i put the dvd and hard drives back in, plugged it in and tried booting it and it did.  So since i think i have it fixed i put the cover back on so that it is all back to normal, go to boot it up and i get the same damn no boot.  So I said screw it for the night.  The next morning I went to turn it on and everything worked fine.  I leave it on for a little bit and then turn it off and on again and this time it won't boot.  So now i'm pretty frustrated and am asking for any advice.  Also the reason i am posting under this topic is because i have a 160gig 7200 rpm hdd.  Also could anyone give me an idea of what my motherboard/cpu/hdd temperatures should be because i went into evo-x settings and noticed that my cpu temp was 120 F which to me seems a little high.  Thanks for any help.

thchardcore

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 02:51:00 AM »

Don't worry I had the same problems. You used a solderless chip, didn't you, the pinheader/solderless adaptor probably wasn't as snug as it should be. Difd you move the xbox at all? I've noticed that it will randomly due it too. My cpu temp is 130 and my HD is around 80-90, motherboard like 90.

FLuKE11

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 10:19:00 AM »

7200rpm vs 5400rpm. The truth is:

It really doesn't matter.

While some people claim the 7200rpm drives load games quicker, and this may be true, the difference in loading times is so small you'd never notice it unless you're doing Xbox time trials or something. 5400rpm is still much, much faster than loading off the DVDRom, 7200rpm isn't a whole lot faster than 5400rpm though. If you're hardcore about it, (like me  :P) go with the 7200rpm but don't expect a major speed increase over 5400rpm.

Also, a lot of people worry that 7200rpm drives overheat their Xbox. Generally speaking, it won't. The only real circumstance where 7200rpm is going to overheat your Xbox is if it's in a very small cramped area, and the fan at the back can't properly blow air out, thus the heat gets trapped inside the Xbox. You should never have your Xbox inside an area like that anyway, it should be out in the open to allow proper ventilation no matter what mods you've done to it.

If you do go the 7200rpm route, and are still worried about overheating, you can either A.) Do the 12v Fan Mod, B.) Increase your fan speed Using XBTool, or C.) Upgrade to an 80mm Fan.

One other thing to keep in mind is that 5400rpm drives are on the decline, so 7200rpm drives can usually be found at lower prices nowadays. Again though, either way really isn't much of a difference. As long as your drive is lockable you'll be happy with it.