xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Can I Play Xbox Backups On Cd-r  (Read 1318 times)

brahm2

• Archived User
Can I Play Xbox Backups On Cd-r
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (The_Truth @ Apr 9 2004, 11:17 PM)
good news for every one with the "crappy Thompson drives"
they can be slightly moddified to cd-r and most formats. it takes someone with a bit of knowledge of electronics and an ohm meter a couple of hours to make it read other media including cd-r's. if anyone is interested pm me and i will try to find the tutorial. this method will however void your warranty, and dont blame me if you hurt yourself...lmao

Yeah, that's the pot tweak tutorial. It's on http://tutorials.xbox-scene.com under hardware modifications.

xb0xb0y

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2004, 04:25:00 AM »

i thought the pot-tweaking was only to make the drive better at reading formats that may work on occasion, not formats that it can't read at all?  from what i gather Thompsons can't read CDRs.  I'm a wrong about that?  Cuz that's why I swapped it out for the 616T (now I can't read DVD+r).

slade747

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 06:08:00 AM »

Actually my xbox can read my backup cdr's just fine. The trick is this, make sure you burn your cd and make it a finalized session or CD with roxio or other cd burning programs. Also Put in a game first then take it out and put in the cd and go into the audio cd option. Then you can place your songs on your box.

MoNeY_MaN

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

I do not know what the heck people are spewing here but guess what Sammy's read it all i have 2 and they read CD-r, CD-RW, Originals, DVD-R, DVD-RW. DVD+R, DVD+RW. it reads everything for me. Maybe you all are writing stuff to them in the wrong way i suggest you use HSDEMONZ guide to burning Media that way you get it done correctly.

Xmaster99

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

sad.gif i ordered a chip like 4 days ago and im scared wat if it doesnt read a certain cd-rw where i got my bios and evox on?

help? lol
thanks
peace

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xmaster99 @ May 21 2004, 11:07 PM)
is there any other way 2 replace my dvd-rom? Really i need a way i got Thompson sad.gif i ordered a chip like 4 days ago and im scared wat if it doesnt read a certain cd-rw where i got my bios and evox on?

help? lol
thanks
peace

It's easier and cheaper to try a couple different brands of cd-rws than it is to replace the Xbox DVD-ROM. However, if you can't get it to read any CD media, swapping Xbox DVD-ROMs is as easy as unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one.

If that doesn't work, try this:
1. Take out the Xbox DVD-ROM.
2. Put in a PC DVD-ROM. Plug in the IDE cable, but you'll need a molex Y-splitter to splice power from the hard drive for the PC DVD-ROM. Ignore the yellow cable that plugs into the Xbox DVD-ROM.
3. Power on, flash your BIOS, do whatever you need to. The PC DVD-ROM will read anything that it reads normally, but it will not read original Xbox game discs.
Here's the full tutorial with pictures:
http://www.xbox-scen...es/swap-dvd.php
Read over this one too, it's almost the same thing without pictures:
http://www.xbox-scen...es/dvddrive.php

Then when you're done flashing your BIOS and doing what you need to do with CD-rws, simply reverse the whole thing, and stick the Xbox DVD-ROM back in for reading originals.

manxbox44

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »

does anybody here know if a philps xbox drive is suppose to make a grinding sound? please help! i need know so if i should take my xbox back

jason jx

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 02:55:00 AM »

blink.gif

jason jx

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 03:52:00 AM »

can a tompson dvd-drive in na modded xbox with the chip x b.i.t play cd-rw and dvd-r ???????

SUBLOGIC

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 04:29:00 PM »

Sorry I didnt answer your question before CHADTECK, I have only jumped to these forums a few times recently due to RL issues.

In one XBOX (v1.1) I have a Samsung, and the other (v1.4 a MS refurbished xbox) has a Thompson.

I have never ever had a problem reading "LASER PLATINUM" CD-R in either of the drives.

Im not sure if its due to the fact that the XBOX with the Thompson drive is a refurbished unit from MS but it works and was only $179 AUS!

SUB

NanoStudios

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »

I've got a trusty old Philips, hasn't rejected a disc yet - CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+/-R etc.

shocwave

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »

I have a 1.3 xbox with a Thomson drive, and it only reads Princo CD-R's, nothing else. Both the silver top, and white top work.

It reads a little slow though, but fast enough to play music and vcds.

josh689

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2004, 09:09:00 PM »

I got the great Samsung, has read everything I have put in it

blindgoat

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »

Sorry, I'm very new but when yall are playing the games straight off the dvd+r or cd-r, is this possible on an unmodded xbox?  Or are these all on modded xboxes?  

Thanks for the help

CoolKidd

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2004, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (blindgoat @ Jun 17 2004, 05:24 PM)
Sorry, I'm very new but when yall are playing the games straight off the dvd+r or cd-r, is this possible on an unmodded xbox?  Or are these all on modded xboxes?  

Thanks for the help

Nope...  all they are talking about is modded XBox...  You have to mod your box to be able to play backups smile.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6