xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Can I Play Xbox Backups On Cd-r  (Read 1316 times)

Dragonface

• Archived User
Can I Play Xbox Backups On Cd-r
« on: December 31, 2003, 10:41:00 PM »

mad.gif

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

You can still play your cd-r collection by streaming from your CD-ROM drive on your computer to XBMP/XBMC on the xbox.

death_driver_911

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 08:12:00 PM »

my Samsung drive loads all cd-r discs. never had a probolem with them. i dont ude cd-rw

strukture

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (CyborgGamer @ Apr 20 2003, 07:15 PM)
I have a samsung dvd in my xbox and I can read just about ANY cd, even the cheapo cdr's.

But isn't it true that Samsung won't read DVD+r   (plus r)?

which drive is best suited to read any brand of DVD+r ?  (since I have an 8x DVD+R writer)

tailspower2001

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (jackyl_816 @ Oct 21 2002, 11:33 PM)
No,almost none of the Xbox consoles will read a backup on a cd-r,all backups must be burned to a cdr-w or dvd-r or dvd-rw,also some dvd+r media works as well. Games can be burned to a cd-r,but must be recopied to one of the above media types in order to play.

You can make back-up copies on CD-R, but you'll never get them to work in X-Box; even if you mod your X-BOX. Now if you can make an real 1 to 1 copy on DVD-R or DVD+R then yes you can paly them on X-BOX.

xbox_freak!!

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »

Samsung Dvd-Rom's will read cd-r well.They are what are in "some" of the Sega packs                                    

ravishing_despot

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 06:20:00 AM »

on a samsung drive u can definately read back-ups on a cd-r, who ever told u that u cant is talking bs

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 09:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (tailspower2001 @ Feb 1 2004, 05:37 PM)
You can make back-up copies on CD-R, but you'll never get them to work in X-Box; even if you mod your X-BOX.

If ignorance is bliss.. you are one happy fellow.

Reading the newbie forum is a laugh sometimes.. watching the blind lead the blind.

Honestly.. is you know something and can help.. then please do so.. but do not spread mis-information plz.

http://forums.xbox-s...indpost&p=90761

I wrote that 18 months ago.. and it still works.

You can make backups on CDR.. and with high success rates.

However.. only 12-15% of all of the xbox games would fit on a CD as is without tinkering with them.

I recommend using DVD-R media and tools like craxtion to get more than one full backup on a disk. Save money.

However.. if someone would like to place some of the smaller games on CDR.. don't mislead them with false information.

pontfirebird73

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

my modified xbox plays cd-r backups flawlessly. and by deleting unneeded stuff in a game you can bump that percentage up to 20-25% of games that are able to fit on a cd-r.

Bohefus

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

I would also like to add that Dvd+r has played on all of the 3 xbox's that I've owned. I have a Samsung drive in my modded box and I had a phillips or a thompson in the 1st box I owned(not sure which one) don't have it now.The newer box that I have that isn't modified I believe has a Samsung also.I've never had a problem with DVD+r with movies or games.I've also been able to use certain cdr's especially with XBMC(Xbox Media Center) viewing divx movies.

xxALxx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 08:55:00 AM »

Here is a CDR tut :->

Link

And I have tried it and it does work.

xbox01

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2002, 07:36:00 PM »

Some brands of cd-r will work in the thompson drive. Mine reads cd-r media that are a specific tone of silver-blue on the bottom of the disc.

SUBLOGIC

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »

Hi all..

I see that this topic has gone on for some time, and would like to add my 2 cents.

OK... for all of you who think that you CANT use CD-R.. You are all WRONG!!

You can use CD-R and you will find that if you DONT burn at the full speed of your burner (%50 works fine every time for me), MOST XBOX's will read them.

As for the percentage rate of games that will fit on CD-R, well that has risen aswell due to 800meg CD-R and the use of Quix and the Avalaunch dash.
I use UnleashX my self but boot to Avalaunch for ISO creation, uploading using Qwix.

For those of you who dont know, Qwix incorperates a cross link file scanner.
This finds duplicate files that are some times written to the game disc to make it larger than a standard 4.7 gig DVD (meaning you cant it up as we only have 4.7 gig blanks ATM) and removes them when creating an ISO.
In 1 case,  I found that a game was 4.9GB, used Qwix to create an ISO and removed the cross linked files and then became small enough to fit on CD-R.

I further looked at the games folders and found that they had place the audio/video clips repeated 5 times in 5 diff folders. Sneaky ay???

Try them both for your self and you might find that you will save some cash on DVD's!!!

Ok.. another alternative is to get ISO Craxion and burn multiple games to one DVD and use the menu maker incorperated.

SUBLOGIC

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »

Here is what i do,

Grab ya self Nero Burn, you can get a trial version Here

Open Nero -->Audio CD -->Nero Express
Drag your mp3(s) you want to make a cd from and drop it/them into the Nero Express window.
Burn to a CD-R

You should now be able to play using XBMC or MS DASH.

SUB

The_Truth

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »

good news for every one with the "crappy Thompson drives"
they can be slightly moddified to cd-r and most formats. it takes someone with a bit of knowledge of electronics and an ohm meter a couple of hours to make it read other media including cd-r's. if anyone is interested pm me and i will try to find the tutorial. this method will however void your warranty, and dont blame me if you hurt yourself...lmao
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6