xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?  (Read 1097 times)

snoopfighter

• Archived User
Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2004, 07:51:00 AM »

HDD

how do i know if i can lock my hdd??? i was thinking of ordering this hdd off of NewEgg but i want to know if i can lock it cuz i do play on XBL.  If anyone can point me to a HDD on newegg that 'can' be locked i would appreciate it thanx.

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (forthex @ Jul 28 2004, 02:03 AM)
just a random question (not to random), can i connect a USB HD through a controller port (i have the USB female to xbox male adapter from lik-sang.com) and use it as my primary  or a secondary storage drive? I would also like to know how can take the IDE cable from the HDD and rig it so takes up the fourth controller port as a USB female or an Xbox controller female port? is anything i am asking possible?

You can use a USB HD as a massive memory card smile.gif

But that's about it.

http://www.llamma.co...d_is_bigger.htm

Note, you probbaly won't be able to mount this on your computer after formatting it.

dustpuppy

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »

Hi guys,

Compete n00b here.  I just upgraded my HDD from a 120gb to a 160gb, ghosted data across from one HDD to the other.  It's a 1.5, using a TSOP-flashed bios, with the latest xecuter2.  

Probelm is, EvoX is seeing that there's 120gb used space, 32mb free (bloody marketing).  I can see C and E, but no F.  No files, no directories, nothing.

Any idea how I'd go about recovering the F partition so I can get my movies etc back.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  

joe5

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2004, 12:34:00 AM »

Thanx for the tutorials at the top, i'll have a go this weekend at putting a 120gig hard drive in.

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »

A lot of help...thanks. beerchug.gif

XanTium

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2002, 09:23:00 AM »

Yes , it's possible.
You need a modchip with HDD-swap-trick thought. Check our modchip tables ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips.php ) if you are unsure if your mod has the HDD-swap-trick. A tutorial how to install a new HD with EvolutionX can be found here ( http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-install2.php and http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-ftp.php )

roddyguk

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2003, 12:25:00 PM »

Ive just downloaded and installed the new evolution-x bios,
would i be able to run a bigger hard drive then 120GB?
Or does it depend on the type of modchip.
i have a cheapmod SST49LF020

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »

Cleaned up this thread a bit since a lot has changed in the last year.

ANY IDE drive will work in the Xbox. However, not all drives can be locked. To date, there has been no connection drawn between the characteristics of a drive and its capability of being locked.

The retail xbox kernel, and most hacked kernels use lba28 (logical block addressing) which limits the size of the hard drive to 137gigs (137,438,953,472 bytes)
Thanks to the great work by oz_paulb we can now use hard drives upto nearly 2.2tb (2,199,023,255,040 bytes)

In order for a retail MS kernel to boot, the xbox hard drive must be 'locked' to the xbox.  The hard drive can be locked/unlocked with the Evox Dash (versions 3921 and up) and Team Assembly's Config Magic. Lockable Drives
Because of the nature of exploits / 'softmods', the MS kernel is what loads when you turn on the xbox, so in order to swap the hard drive, you must first lock the hard drive in a PC with your xbox's password.

420KILLA

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2003, 01:20:00 AM »

ok i just bought a 250 gig HDD from maxtor that is a 7200 rpm. my friend has the same exact maxtor that is 120 gigs in his xbox. i was wondering if nowadays the xbox can support this much (250 gig) I have heard that it has, but i was wanting to make sure. Your help would be greatly appreciated TY
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]