xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?  (Read 1095 times)

Roj X. Mugwump

• Archived User
Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2004, 12:48:00 AM »

whats the best way to copy across savegames from my old 80gig hd to my
new 160gig...?!? i have all my originals so the games arent a prob, just the
saves...

Cheers

roj, (i dont have a memory card...)

ikar

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (brahm2 @ May 24 2004, 07:50 PM)
If you install a modchip, you should have no problems upgrading the hard drive, and you shouldn't need to worry about unlocking the old one.

As long as the chip can boot, you'll be able to boot up to SlaYers from a CD-RW, and format the new hard drive from there.

I am in a similiar situation. I have the SlaYers burned and all, and I have an x.b.i.t modchip with the the xecuter2 4983 bios...anyways, I want to format a 120gb so that I can use it with my xbox.

First of all, I want to unlock my xbox retail hard drive. How would I go about doing that? Is there anything I need to know before I do it?

Secondly, if I format a 120gb hard drive from the slayers cd, do I need anything special? Like eeprom or something? Or is that obtained automattically? (See I'm a complete noob to this and I don't wanna screw up. Better safe then sorry I'd say)

PistolWhip

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Choosing between a "SEAGATE 120GB BARRACUDA 7200RPM HD ATA/100 8.5ms(Refurbished), 6 Month SEAGATE WARRANTY" for $79, including shipping, and a "Maxtor DiamondMax 80 Gb ATA/133 7200 RPM" with a 2mb buffer and 9.4ms seek time, which would you choose for $69, including shipping and 30 day warranty, which would you choose?

I think I've read that Maxtors have better compatibility than other drives... is this true?  Is there going to be much of a difference between 2mb and 8mb cache drives- is it worth the extra money? and finally, how fast would an 80 Gb drive fill up if I'm backing up games on it, and/or emulators-- would the seagate have compatibility problems?

Thanks a ton.

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »

@PistolWhip
    I'm not too sure of the differences between an 8 mb cache and a 2 mb, i'd go with the 8 mb just cause it's a larger number  tongue.gif , as for the size, think of a game as 4-6 gigz. I've had a few problems with Maxtors in my computer, but i'm running a 120 gig maxtor in my xbox and have had no problems. I'm planning on upgrading my hdd to something like a 200 gig, so i'd suggest the more space the better, but this is all just my opinon.

chief7

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »

can you upgrade the hdd if you only use the non-chip mechwarrior hack?

andrews_new_id

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2004, 04:47:00 PM »

I am going to use the cromwell bios. Can I swap the hard drive once I flash the onboard TSOP chip? If so, do I need to get a hold of a "slayers cd"? that people have talked about to reformat the drive into the xbox standard partitions before I install linux, or does the linux install process even need the multiple partitions?

So I am going to pull out my old hard drive (original factory drive) and be using the new one. If I decide to go back and play games at some point in the future, can I run raincoat from inside of a linux distro on the replacement (larger) hard drive and reflash with my original factory bios?

cadavra

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

Hey chief, yes you can upgrade your hd when only using an exploit, for more details scour the exploit forums.  wink.gif

funperro

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

Today I followed the instructions at http://www.xbox-scen...hdd-install.php to upgrade my harddrive. I first backed up my old harddrive, used the xboxHDprepare proggie on the new drive, installed the new drive in the xbox, booted up the xbox using a bootable evox CD, formatted partitions 1-6 through commands via FTP, and finally copied over drive C and drive E that I backed up from the factory hard drive.

Ok.. I then booted up the xbox, and it went to the evox dashboard... just like it did with the old hard drive. But my problem now is this: the only applications I'm able to run is evox and xbmc. I can't get any of the other games that were previously running fine on my old hard drive to load up. Whats wrong here? Any ideas? To run a game, in the past I always found the xbe file corresponding to the game and would execute it through xbmc or evox. This again is the method I'm using with the new hard drive, and I can't get it to work with either of them.  When I run the game's xbe file, it just kicks me back to the evox main menu.

Any suggestions?

stickyc

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2004, 11:02:00 AM »

What happens if I install a larger hard drive in a modded XBox, then turn off the mod chip? Does the system continue to recognize/use the new drive?

PlasticThreat

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2004, 05:15:00 PM »

I'm just making sure I have everything straight here...

If I have a ModChip in my XBox, do I need to do any locking/unlocking of hard drives to get more than 137gb?

Will I just be able to use a larger HDD without making any changes to the HDD before puting it in the XBox?

forthex

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »

just a random question (not to random), can i connect a USB HD through a controller port (i have the USB female to xbox male adapter from lik-sang.com) and use it as my primary  or a secondary storage drive? I would also like to know how can take the IDE cable from the HDD and rig it so takes up the fourth controller port as a USB female or an Xbox controller female port? is anything i am asking possible?

ZeonZaku

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2004, 06:39:00 PM »

Ok My Ice is on the way, I am about to pick up a HD.  However I am worried about xbox Live playing..

If I swap out the HD do I always have to boot to the Ice Bios?  or can I use the xbobx bios and still play on live?

thanks.

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2004, 01:36:00 AM »

forthex - As far as I know, USB hard drives are *not* supported.. Pen drives are supported because they can be formatted as memory cards, but I don't think USB HDD's will work. This is something you might want to search for / double check as I am not sure.

ZeonZaku - You won't have to swap out your hard drive to play XBL if you can lock your hard drive. Make sure you buy a hard drive that can be locked, for simplicity. Then, to play Xbox Live, you can boot to the Xenium Operating System (OS), and select to boot the Xbox with the original BIOS. It will act like an unmodded Xbox, even with a modchip installed and an upgraded hard drive. To get back to your modded Xbox, you just reboot the console, and either 1) boot to Xenium OS, and select your hacked BIOS or 2) just reboot, and if it's on Quickboot mode it will automatically load your hacked BIOS.

drRAVALOT

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

i have a 250 gig in mine.....i also have a ide external cooling bay

drink or die

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2004, 01:27:00 AM »

ok, complete n00b here, but by no means think I'm a moron. I am new to the mod scene, but I've been reading lots and getting to know things fairly well. I have a 1.2 xbox, and I just ordered the X-ecuter3 chip, which I should be getting in a few weeks now. I am going to need a lot more storage space than the stock HDD, but I don't know what is the better option. Option 1- buy a 300-400GB HDD and install it, option 2- buy two 200GB hard drives and use them both. How much space should I expect to need if I want to save every game I have on the HDD. I have pretty much every game there is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4