xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?  (Read 1096 times)

silentstryke

• Archived User
Can I Upgrade My Hard Drive To A Larger Unit ?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »

going to install a 200GB seagate tonight. Wish me luck.

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (danie1d @ Apr 15 2004, 05:56 AM)
is it definately ok to use 7200 rpm hard drives in the xbox nowdays...I've been out of it all for a while.... no fears of burning out anymore?

No fears at all. I have never heard of a hard drive dying from heat in an Xbox. I would venture a guess that at least, if not more, 30% of users who have upgraded their hard drive are using a 7200rpm drive.

Mansemat

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2004, 11:21:00 PM »

I have an original ver 1.0 Xbox that the HDD just died in about a week ago. My question is if I were to get a modchip and install a new HDD would I run into any problems due to the fact that the HDD needs a key from the EEPROM to be unlocked? Also what process would I have to go through if it is possible?

I would really hate to invest in a new HDD and modchip just to find out that I can't use either because I need the key from the original HDD that just so happens to be dead.

HomicidalMo0se

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »

My friend told me that since the XBox's HDD is ATA100 only ATA100 HDDs will work. And I was bummed because he told me this after I found this HDD.

http://store.compbus...ax807200-o.html

And then I thought I should ask some pros to see what they say just in case my friend was wrong. So... Will this work?

Thanks.

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (HomicidalMo0se @ May 2 2004, 08:06 PM)
My friend told me that since the XBox's HDD is ATA100 only ATA100 HDDs will work. And I was bummed because he told me this after I found this HDD.

http://store.compbus...ax807200-o.html

And then I thought I should ask some pros to see what they say just in case my friend was wrong. So... Will this work?

Thanks.

That hard drive will work smile.gif

kalmeq

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (brahm2 @ Apr 9 2004, 12:45 AM)
I don't know all of the technical legal arguments, but I do know that it's legal to back up your own games on the hard drive. It's legal to buy a modchip as long as the store you buy it from doesn't ship it with a BIOS compiled with MS code - it will most likely be shipped with a Linux based BIOS called Cromwell.

crazyjeet - with the LBA48 patch, hard drives can be supported up to 2.2 terabytes. They don't even make HDDs that big yet smile.gif
As long as the drives are IDE it should work.

sew3521 - Don't know 100 percent, but I would guess that the answer is no.

what does it mean when you say as lons as the hdd is ide  it shoul work what is ide?

raid517

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

Erm, well kill me if I missed something. But I was wondering if I needed to back up the XBox OS and transfer this to any replacement harddrive?

If so how do I do this? Does the Xbox use an OS - and is this installed on the harddrive? How do I do this? And if I don't need to do this how do I format the drive?

Also can anyone explain more about 'locking' and how it works? I bought my Xbox with the single explicit intention of modding it, so I haven't even got around to playing with it yet. (My modchip doesn't arrive until tomorrow). While I do want to play games, my main interst is in using it as a cheap Linux file server. So a bigger harddrive is a bit of a must.

All input is appreciated.

GJ

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 03:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (kalmeq @ May 11 2004, 10:44 AM)
what does it mean when you say as lons as the hdd is ide  it shoul work what is ide?

IDE - Integrated Drive Electronics. The most popular way to hook up internal devices to the computer. Refers to the large ribbon cable and connectors attached to the Hard Drive and DVD drive.

Basically, it's a type of computer hardware. Just like how a truck is a type of vehicle or Jimi Hendrix is a type of musician.

Don't buy SCSI drives - they are not supported by the Xbox. EIDE is another type of drive, and I'm not 100% sure if they are supported by the Xbox.. maybe someone else can answer that one.

nietzsche

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 04:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (brahm2 @ May 11 2004, 11:38 PM)
<snip>
EIDE is another type of drive, and I'm not 100% sure if they are supported by the Xbox.. maybe someone else can answer that one.

EIDE is Enhanced-IDE.

IDE was developed by Western Digital Corporation, and was capped at 528 MB.  Initially, this was known as ATA (IBM-AT Attachment interface).  ATA(-1) gave way to ATA-2, which supports faster transfer rates (8 MB/s), block transfers, and also improved the "Drive Identify" command.

EIDE is occasionally called Fast ATA or Fast IDE (though the latter is quite rare to hear), and basically follows the initial IDE standard - EIDE was developed and is promoted by Seagate Technologies (I believe, though Western Dig may have had some or complete play in this).  EIDE has different "modes", which essentially scale the speed accordingly with the onboard electronics.

So.  For our purposes today, all reasonably recent drives that conform to the ATA formfactor may be considered EIDE drives.  Serial ATA is here - though I've not personally played with it yet - and has a different package formfactor (pinout and connection type) than EIDE.

nietzsche

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2004, 04:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (jerry3601 @ Apr 8 2004, 04:16 AM)
Quick question. I am wanting to know if it is legal to install a mod chip into my xbox. I only plan to backup the games I own. I am looking at buying an executer 2.3 lite plus. thanks

Well, this is a sticky point.  Fair Use is what you're looking at here.

Here's my take on it - copied off another board that I'm active on (I'm not a lawyer, but am intensely interested in preserving and researching individual rights as well as consumer rights) ... for what it's worth:

What do I really PAY FOR when I pay for anything that comes on CD/DVD?

Typically, the answer is, "the license".  Fine.  So, as the media is just an abstraction, I should be able to call up the company and get a fully-functional version that I can either download and burn to my own media (remember, I've not paid for their media!), OR I should be able to pay actual shipping costs and get a new copy sent to me just in case my copy ever breaks or wears out.  Even if it's 10 years old.  Even if the company has gone under.  Because, remember, I paid for the license, as opposed to paying for the media.

So ... since that isn't happening, let's pretend that I'm paying for the media that said music/game/application/movie comes on:
Therefore, I should be able to invoke Fair Use and make an unrestricted duplicate for myself.  But wait, what's this - DVDs have CSS, and my software has safedisk, securom or laserlock protection, and I cannot copy it?  Hm.  This clearly is intended to keep me, the consumer, from making a backup copy - after all, I *did* pay for the media itself, and that *is* where my money went ... so I can also, then, logically use it at more than one place/computer, so long as the physical token (media) remains with me/the computer... right?  Wait, no.  Therefore, it becomes clear that our first option, that of paying for the license is the case.  So how the hell do I replace my TSR Dragon Strike floppies that have gone bad over the course of 12 years?  Can I call up TSR?  Doubt it.

mad.gif   mad.gif   mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif   mad.gif

They cannot have it both ways.  As consumers, we're taking it in the pooper, and it's getting old.  What we ought to say is this:  "you don't trust me to invoke my rights as a consumer?  Fine - I'm done buying from you." ... but that only works en masse.

Argh.

crazyjeet

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 09:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (crazyjeet @ Apr 8 2004, 01:34 PM)
What about the 300gig hard drives? I was thinking of putting in one of the new 400gig hard drives but I didnt want to try it without getting some more information about it.

I dont care about locking it because I never use the original dashboard. I have xbox version 1.0 and the latest evox on my xbox.

I hope I can use the 400gig drive in it but if its not possible yet, then can i use the 300gig?

Ummm.. nobody told me if I can use a 400gig hd in the xbox... If nobody knows, please just say so. that way I dont feel like I am ignored.

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (crazyjeet @ May 19 2004, 11:47 PM)
Ummm.. nobody told me if I can use a 400gig hd in the xbox... If nobody knows, please just say so. that way I dont feel like I am ignored.

I answered your question on April 8, the same day you posted.

"crazyjeet - with the LBA48 patch, hard drives can be supported up to 2.2 terabytes. They don't even make HDDs that big yet
As long as the drives are IDE/ATA it should work. "

So.. yes, assuming your 400Gb hard drive is the correct format to be installed in the Xbox (ATA) it will work.

crazyjeet

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

Thank you, I looked and saw no post like that but I believe yahz.

Thanks for the info!

Bertosai

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mansemat @ Apr 21 2004, 07:45 AM)
I have an original ver 1.0 Xbox that the HDD just died in about a week ago. My question is if I were to get a modchip and install a new HDD would I run into any problems due to the fact that the HDD needs a key from the EEPROM to be unlocked? Also what process would I have to go through if it is possible?

I would really hate to invest in a new HDD and modchip just to find out that I can't use either because I need the key from the original HDD that just so happens to be dead.

I have the same problem. I didn't see a response. Anyone can help out. My HDD is dead making a oud knocking sound (as if it is seeking but louder.)

brahm2

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (Bertosai @ May 23 2004, 07:08 PM)
I have the same problem. I didn't see a response. Anyone can help out. My HDD is dead making a oud knocking sound (as if it is seeking but louder.)

If you install a modchip, you should have no problems upgrading the hard drive, and you shouldn't need to worry about unlocking the old one.

As long as the chip can boot, you'll be able to boot up to SlaYers from a CD-RW, and format the new hard drive from there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4