xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Reset Switch  (Read 1986 times)

ronin149

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« on: January 26, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

What is the yellow wire used for?  Allow me to quote "Hacking the XBox" by Bunnie Huang:

"The video sync signal is a 3.3V CMOS or TTL-compatible signal.  It is a basic 15.734 kHz positive polarity pulse train synchronized to the horizontal line time of the composite video output, with a single longer pulse at the beginning of every video field.  This signal enable peripherals that are pointed at the TV screen, such as a light pen or a light gun for shooting games, to derive position information."

What does this mean?  A device that as of yet does not exist would use this signal combined with a lens & photodetector to determine where at the screen you are pointing.  I doubt that it will ever be utilized at this point, unless the Linux guys write something to use it.

supertrolly

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 08:33:00 PM »

haha ronin you beat me to it i have the same book and was going to answer the question... wink.gif

srstakey

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »

ferrell-

I don't know if you are still offering the switches...but, I was wondering do you have any radio shack part numbers, etc. for the switch?

If not, all I need is a REALLY small push button switch, am I correct?  Any help would be appreciated...I'm a newbie when it comes to electronics like this stuff.

Gunr

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 02:51:00 AM »

I liked the idea about adding a reset switch to your game controller, and I followed the great tutorial put out by the Xboxmod08 team for modding the internals of the Xbox for this to work.  I didn't like the idea of modding a controller with a reset switch and always having to have that controller in port 1.  I started to think about a different way of doing this mod, I opened up one of my controllers and started proping around and found that the yellow and black wires went to the memory card ports on the controller as well, at least on the Official Xbox controller I have.  I bought a Mad Catz memory card, if you look into the end where the connectors are, you can see 5 contacts and a plastic "key" (circled in red) seperating them, 3 on one side, 2 on the other.  The 2 connectors (circled in yellow) are the ones that are needed.  Solder a wire to each pad inside the memory card, and connect the other ends, one to each side of a momentary switch.  I drilled a hole in the plastic and routed the wires to the outside of the case before soldering the switch and then just wrapped with electrical tape, not the best looking mod, but it works as a reset switch in any controller that you could plug into port 1.  There might be other memory cards out there with more room inside of it where a switch might reside, but my local Walmart had only a selection of 1 choose from.  And the added bonus is that it still functions as a memory card!

(IMG:http://www.cableone.net/tsmith2/xbox/connector-sm.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.cableone.net/tsmith2/xbox/cover off-sm.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.cableone.net/tsmith2/xbox/cover on-sm.jpg)                                    

The Legendary Rob

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 03:57:00 AM »

cool! this shoujld be added to tutorials section. write up a formal tutorial and try turning it in to xantium or the other admins                                    

Syrus

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 08:28:00 AM »

Awsome man biggrin.gif Useful and looks great too, Make a tutorial and send it in if you have time/get bored smile.gif

Dark Schneider

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2002, 08:54:00 AM »

That is so damn cool! It's amazing what we can do when we get bored sometimes isn't it!

I think I'm going to give that one a go since I never use the damn memory card anyway like I should. If it gets nuked then it won't be a huge deal.

As far as the electrical tape...who cares that's just a sweet prototype! I'm sure that I could get a template and form my own plastic casing that would allow the switch to be internal like I know you wanted it to be.  Possibly even a smaller switch that could be mounted at the top of the cards case or inset as such.

Might even be able to make a quick prototype of it out of fiberglass and see how it goes. Damn wish I had time now to work on it!

Or hell if you get some time you could form an epoxy resin shell around the outside of the switch you have on there now and paint it black. Yeh that would be the ticket!

Posted by: Dark Schneider  Sep 22 2002, 03:54 PM

That is so damn cool! It's amazing what we can do when we get bored sometimes isn't it!

I think I'm going to give that one a go since I never use the damn memory card anyway like I should. If it gets nuked then it won't be a huge deal.

As far as the electrical tape...who cares that's just a sweet prototype! I'm sure that I could get a template and form my own plastic casing that would allow the switch to be internal like I know you wanted it to be.  Possibly even a smaller switch that could be mounted at the top of the cards case or inset as such.

Might even be able to make a quick prototype of it out of fiberglass and see how it goes. Damn wish I had time now to work on it!

Or hell if you get some time you could form an epoxy resin shell around the outside of the switch you have on there now and paint it black. Yeh that would be the ticket!

ajh

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2002, 07:10:00 PM »

Great post!

Please u/l a formal tutorial for all of us, we are grateful in advance.

Drew826

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2002, 07:13:00 PM »

wow...that's a great idea for anyone who doesn't feel like opening up their gamepad, or for people who switch back and forth between different types and don't want to put switches in all of them.
Good Job!                                    

bearauto

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 10:49:00 AM »

Wow, this is an incredible find!  How did you figure all this out?                                    

Gunr

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 11:16:00 AM »

I have never written a tutorial, so, if I do one for this, it will take me a few days.  

bearauto:  Didn't take much to figure out.  I had opened my controller, drilled a hole for the switch and was ready to solder, I had my meter out and I was checking if I had the right points when a thought came to me, "if this bunch of wires comes all the way from the Xbox console, I wonder if they go any further".  So I just started checking for continuity, I knew ground had to be there, and when I found that the yellow wire was there also, I thought "why not just mod the memory card instead".  That is pretty much all there was to it.                                    

GTac01

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2002, 03:40:00 PM »

thats simple logic, this shows how lazy we are after all this time, NOW we're starting to open up a mem card. Yeah if the mem card receives that wire is just a problem of modding the mem card, awesome discovery, now i want a reset button.

Hey btw, anybody thinking of selling modded mem cards thru ebay or something, it would be a nice deal, i'd buy one.                                    

GTac01

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2002, 04:03:00 PM »

too bad u still need to di some stuff inside the xbox, and the mem card still has to be in port 1. We need to fix that.                                    

socrates

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2002, 07:47:00 PM »

What do you mean DI some stuff in the xbox? i thought all ya had to do was just solder the two wires like he shows into the memory card and that was it?...............am i missing somthing here?                                    

bearauto

• Archived User
Reset Switch
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2002, 08:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (GTac01 @ Sep 23 2002, 10:03 PM)
too bad u still need to di some stuff inside the xbox, and the mem card still has to be in port 1. We need to fix that.

Yeah, explain please...                                    
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6