xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Trouble Flashing Winbond On V1.4  (Read 326 times)

dan.h

• Archived User
Trouble Flashing Winbond On V1.4
« on: June 30, 2013, 08:09:00 AM »

I've got a 1.4 xbox that has a x3 chip in it and am trying to flash the TSOP so I can take the x3 out.

I softmodded the xbox using HEXEN and can use it fine with the X3 chip taken out although all the soldered wires & PCB board near the front panel are still there.

I've tried using conductive paint to link up the two points on the top of the board but ran into flashing problems through the HEXEN disc; I redid the points and linked up the third on the underside of the board but still can't flash.

It's a Winbond W49F020T-90B and when I load up the Gentoox loader through HEXEN, it says 'flashing failed' pretty instantly. If I choose the other TSOP option through HEXEN and try flashing over a 256kb bios through Evox I get the following error:

'Manufacturers ID 09 Device ID 00 !!flash not writeable!!'

I'm pretty sure the first time I tried flashing over before redoing the points the ID erorr was 01 instead of 09. The issue is probably due to the lack of conductivity between the points on the board - I'm pretty dubious about the paint that I brought of eBay but I wanted to check if running evox as my dash and editing the .ini file as I've read on here would help?

Cheers

dan.h

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »

OK little embarrasing but after cleaning up the points again and scratching them a little to take of any of the glaze/lacqueur I was able to TSOP flash my xbox.
Not sure if its just a case of third time lucky or whether scratching the points made any difference but its sorted!

hangover

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:35:00 AM »

Winbonds can be tricky even when using solder to bridge the write points, i had a couple that only worked after buying a decent quality digital temp soldering iron.